ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
I figured it would make the most sense to have a single thread where we can discuss the current season for our commits & prospects rather than having multiple threads for every match-up, small tournament, ranking, etc. now that the season is kicking off.

Feel free to post schedules, rankings, news, etc. so that we can keep everything consolidated here.

Class of 2021:
138-pounds: Joey Olivieri (Hanover Park - NJ) - 1st, 4th, 1st
145-pounds; Michael Cetta (St Joe's Montvale - NJ) - DNP, DNP, 6th
145-pounds: Anthony White (South Plainfield - NJ) - DNP, DNP, 4th
152-pounds: Dylan Weaver (Lyndhurst - NJ) - DNP, 3rd, 4th
285-pounds: Kyonte Hamilton (Georgetown Prep - MD) - 2x NHSCA Champ

Class of 2022:
126-pounds: Brandan Chletsos (Notre Dame-Green Pond, PA) - 6th, 3rd
182-pounds: Brian Soldano (High Point, NJ) - DNP, 1st

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
To kick it off, I saw that Kyonte Hamilton won the Raymond B. Oliver Tournament at 220 last weekend in Maryland.

He went 3-0 with 3 pins (3:41, 2:24, and 2:52)

Reactions: plcoolg
Ironman 2019 Results:

Shawver: 3rd place at 126 with 2 ranked wins over #14 Chris Barnabae (Lehigh commit) and #4 Dylan Ragusin (Michigan commit). His only loss was a 7-2 decision to #5 (132) Ryan Crookham. I expect him to move up in the rankings at 126 after a great showing. Flo is really the only publication that didn't have him ranked in the top 20 this season. He was in the top 10 after last season but fell out over the summer for some reason but he is ranked #12 on intermat currently.

Hamilton: 3rd place at 220 with a ranked win over #10 Kolby Franklin. He had 3 pins and a TF in his 6 wins. His only loss was a 6-5 decision to #9 Noah Pettigrew of Blair. Was ranked #7 before the tournament and I expect him to stay around there +/- a few spots.

Last edited:
Updated Flo rankings:

Shawver: #7 (HM)
Weaver: #20 (#19)
O'Neil: #11 (#11)
Poz: #3 (#4)
Epperly: NR (NR)
Hamilton: #9 (#8)

Are you sure it's on Flo? I don't see it listed anywhere.

Correction, It will be streamed on Trackwrestling, UGH., lol

The Senior Nationals will be streamed on Flowrestling. Hopefully Nick enters soon. Not sure what's going on with Ashnault (he isn't qualified yet for the Trials in April, either.)

Now today's Flo podcast is saying they expect Suriano to do a 'walk up' registration. I wasn't sure that was an option, but I guess it is.

What a great young man, look forward to watching him at Rutgers. In good hands with coach Goodale.

Opening Day for NJ HS wrestling!

Some of the better upcoming Duals today & this weekend are : Tonight (Thur)- Wall @ Cranford, Delaware Valley @ Bridgewater-Raritan, Fair Lawn @ N. Hunterdon, Emerson Boro @ West Essex, Friday Scotch Plains @ S. Plainfield, Livingston @ Morristown, Southern @ Toms River East, Saturday- Clearview @ Paulsboro, Randolph @ Caldwell, Westfield @ Delaware Valley, High Point @ CBA, Howell @ Paulsboro. .

Tournaments :

WEEK 2 (Dec. 16-22)

Battle at the Bay at Bayonne, Dec. 21

Beast of the East at University of Delaware, Dec. 21-22

Blue Knight Invitational at Irvington, Dec. 21

Caldwell Tournament, Dec. 21

Colt Classic at Christian Brothers, Dec. 21

Cutter Classic at Fair Lawn, Dec. 21

Dover Tournament, Dec. 21

Edison Classic, Dec. 21

Ewing Blue Devil Classic, Dec. 21

Garfield Holiday Tournament, Dec. 21

Gator Tournament at Gateway, Dec. 21

George Maier Tournament at Haddon Heights, Dec. 21

Hopatcong Tournament, Dec. 21

Joe Arrotti Invitational at Lakeland, Dec. 21

John and Betty Vogeding at Paulsboro, Dec. 21

Kearny Holiday Tournament, Dec. 21

Morris Knolls Tournament, Dec. 21

Nottingham Invitational, Dec. 21

Old Bridge Ice Breaker, Dec. 21

Pine Barrens Classic at Shawnee, Dec. 21

Queen of the East at Pennsauken, Dec. 22

Robin Leff Tournament at Southern, Dec. 21

TCNJ Pride Tournament (boys/girls) at Middletown South, Dec. 21

Wendy Pandy-Leh Invitational at Delaware Valley, Dec. 21

X-Calibur Invitational at Wilkes University, Dec. 20-21

Reactions: plcoolg
Almost all the RU commits and targets will be at the Beast of the East Tournament , Dec 21 & 22 at U Delaware. Flowrestling will be streaming it.

http://www.beastwrestling.com/BeastHSTeams.htm

Looks like Weaver isn't going to Beast. Lyndhurst is wrestling tonight and they aren't on the team list on Track nor the list from NJ.com. Thats disappointing. I was hoping to see him compete and really make a name for himself on the national scene.

www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2019/12/beast-of-the-east-nj-wrestling-seeds-team-list-and-schedule.html

Looks like Weaver isn't going to Beast. Lyndhurst is wrestling tonight and they aren't on the team list on Track nor the list from NJ.com. Thats disappointing. I was hoping to see him compete and really make a name for himself on the national scene.

www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2019/12/beast-of-the-east-nj-wrestling-seeds-team-list-and-schedule.html

That's interesting since the Beast Website shows Lyndhurst sending a full team, unless they are driving down late tonight or early tomorrow. Chances are Beast site got it wrong.

http://www.beastwrestling.com/BeastHSTeams.htm

I attended the TCNJ Pride tournament today. Goodale was in attendance. Really only 3 guys he could have been checking out. The Santaniello brothers from Brick Memorial are both legit. Gashi, the #1 ranked HWT in NJ also dominated. Not sure if he’s a big 10 guy because he was dominated in the finals last year by Lewis Fernandes (Cornell) but he was fast, strong and very athletic for a big man.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I attended the TCNJ Pride tournament today. Goodale was in attendance. Really only 3 guys he could have been checking out. The Santaniello brothers from Brick Memorial are both legit. Gashi, the #1 ranked HWT in NJ also dominated. Not sure if he’s a big 10 guy because he was dominated in the finals last year by Lewis Fernandes (Cornell) but he was fast, strong and very athletic for a big man.

Pretty sure Gashi is going to Colgate to play football. I think he signed a LOI this week.

Reactions: R U Crazy
Dylan Weaver (#20 @ 138 on Flo) and Lyndhurst will be at Mount Mat Madness (live on Flo) starting tomorrow where he is the #3 seed at 152 behind Nick Stonecheck (#14 on Intermat, 3x GA State Champ, 3rd at NHSCA championship) and Phil Smith Jr (#20 @ 145 on Intermat, a NHSCA champ at 132, 2x MD state champ) so it will be a good early season opportunity for him to make some noise and win the tournament.

Keep an eye on his brother, Damian Weaver, who is a freshman and wrestling at 138 this year since he could be a potential recruit in a few years.

Connor O'Neill (#6 Intermat / #11 on Flo) and DePaul will be at the Powerade tournament starting tomorrow as well where he is the #1 seed in a loaded 170 weight class. Here are the ranked wrestlers in the bracket:

Tyler Stoltzfus - #7 Flo / #5 Intermat
Trey Kibe - #5 Flo / #4 Intermat
Shane Reitsma (NJ) - NR Flo / #17 Intermat
Leonard Pinto - #6 Flo / #2 Intermat
Jaden Bullock -#8 Flo / #20 Intermat
Mac Stout - #19 Flo / NR Intermat

Will be another great opportunity for Connor and hopefully he can come out victorious once again. If he wins Powerade and Beast back to back he will firmly cement himself as an elite wrestler and at least top 5 at 170

Powerade will be live on Flo as well so it will be a good opportunity to see 2 commits in action the next two days.

Last edited:
O’Neil vs Reitsma is a matchup we’re probably gonna see in the NJ state semi’s or perhaps the finals if Brandon Green from Paulsboro bumped up this year.

I’m pretty sure 170 is the only weight class in NJ (besides underclassman heavy 106/113) where the top 3 state placers all return, and that doesn’t even include O’Neil who took 2nd at 160. Really deep weight class this year. O’Neil should be get a lot of tough matchups all season.

Pinto is the kid O'Neil needs to beat. Pinto is committed to Nebraska and beat O'Neil earlier this year. This match will be a good test for Connor

Yup. Connor lost the match at Super 32 with 15 seconds left. He was on top and got caught in an awkward position after some funky scramble only to give up a reversal at the last second to lose 4-3

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Pinto is the kid O'Neil needs to beat. Pinto is committed to Nebraska and beat O'Neil earlier this year. This match will be a good test for Connor

O'Neil is the 1 seed, Pinto is the 5 seed and Reitsma is the 4 seed. Very deep weight at Powerade!!

Poz is wrestling in the Linn Crawn Memorial Tournament today at Kittatinny HS as the #1 seed, but I don't expect there to be much competition.

Kyle Epperly is wrestling in the Walter Woods Holiday Classic today at Middletown South HS as the #1 seed at 195.

Poz is wrestling in the Linn Crawn Memorial Tournament today at Kittatinny HS as the #1 seed, but I don't expect there to be much competition.

Kittatiny has an interesting 220 pounder in Jackson Crawn. His Uncle was a NJ State Champ a few years back for Newton HS. Doug and Linn Crawn were terrific , bruising Wrestlers and Football players for Newton in the early 70s.

Last edited:
Track shows that Poz lost 7-0 to someone named Matthew Knapp of Roxbury. I have to believe that is wrong or Poz wasn't wrestling today and someone else from Colonia weighed in at 182. It's obviously possible he could lose, but it seems extremely unlikely for him to get shutout by this caliber of opponent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT