ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Olivieri wins 7-1. Had a really interesting “one arm cradle” of some sort in the 1st. Don’t really know how to describe it. Not sure I’ve ever seen it before and I have no idea how his opponent was unable to get up from it. Maybe Olivieri is just extremely strong.

Olivieri wins 7-1. Had a really interesting “one arm cradle” of some sort in the 1st. Don’t really know how to describe it. Not sure I’ve ever seen it before and I have no idea how his opponent was unable to get up from it. Maybe Olivieri is just extremely strong.

Olivieri still had some of his weight on him with the one arm cradle.

Weaver seems almost too aggressive on top. He puts himself in bad positions. Time and strength will stop this. You can;t teach aggressiveness. That is a good thing. I think he will learn from the loss and come back stronger. He is only a junior and has time to hit the weight room. He should be a solid addition to the team in 2 years. He has already had a solid tournament early in the year.

Reactions: MS-RU
Right on cue, Weaver nearly pulls off a take down, then nearly gets taken down, then somehow pulls off a cradle from neutral and wins by fall at 0:25

That's how he rolls lol

Weaver wins, I think 10-4, and continues to advance in wrestle backs. Somewhat sloppy but did well in the 3rd. Not sure if he has another match today or if they resume tomorrow.

Tournament resumes at 9am

Olivieri faces off against Justin Bierdumpfel from St Joe's in the semi-finals. He is ranked #5 in NJ by Flo, while Joey is #3 so it should be a good match up.

Hamilton will face Adam Young in the semi-finals. Don't know anything about him but I'm not expecting a close match but weirder things have happened.

Weaver faces off against Matt Lackman in consolation round of 8. While he isn't nationally ranked, he is a solid competitor who has previously placed at ETR, Beast, and Ironman so he is no pushover.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Keep an eye on the freshman 285 from St Joes, Jim Mullen. He is a 4 seed going against the 2seed in the SemiFinals. Could be a future RU prospect.

Keep an eye on the freshman 285 from St Joes, Jim Mullen. He is a 4 seed going against the 2seed in the SemiFinals. Could be a future RU prospect.

That would be nice. I’ve never seen him wrestle but Flo has him at #2 in the state. I wonder if Alvarez having a lot of success as a freshman could play a role in this. Granted Mullen and Almeyda weren’t ever teammates with Alvarez, but it would be nice to establish St Joes as somewhat of a feeder program. They’re a team rising fast.

Couldn’t see what happened but Weaver and his opponent had each other’s legs and the ref immediately blew the whistle and ran in to stop it. Weavers kid was in a lot of pain holding his knee and medical forfeits.

Weaver wins by injury default. They were scrambling and Lackman was all twisted up and got injured. Hope he is alright.

Oliveri wins 1-0 to advance to the finals.

Both guys were very tough on top. Oliveri only escaped with 20 seconds left to win, but both of them got extremely close to getting the other on their backs during their ride.

Olivieri almost gave up back points twice but fought through it. 132 is stacked. Both those kids, Clark and Composto haven’t even wrestled yet, and Cedeno from BC is there too.

Oliveri will face Evan Buchanan in the finals, who just knocked off #10 nationally Pat Noonan. Oliveri is currently ranked #19 by Flo.

Brandon Green just pinned Lenny Pinto (Flo #7). As a comparison, Flo has Reitsma at 6 and O’Neil at 8. Brandon Green is unranked somehow, I guess because he was bumping back and forth between weight classes to this point? 170 is going to be a lot of fun in March

Weaver drops an 11-7 decision. Sloppy again. He’ll wrestle for 7th. Not a good showing this weekend.

I just watched the match and you are right, he was very sloppy. He got reversed twice and then he gets easily thrown to his back. That's just getting out muscled in those situations as well not being able to finish when you are in position.

Olivieri almost gave up back points twice but fought through it. 132 is stacked. Both those kids, Clark and Composto haven’t even wrestled yet, and Cedeno from BC is there too.
Composto will not beat Olivieri. I think Clark and Cedeno are Biggest threats. But Olivieri did beat Dylan already in Beast I think also by 1 point

I just watched the match and you are right, he was very sloppy. He got reversed twice and then he gets easily thrown to his back. That's just getting out muscled in those situations as well not being able to finish when you are in position.
Very sloppy all weekend but most noticeable is lack of strength and difficulty on bottom. Hopefully hits the weights and grows into 152

Reactions: SCNJ
From BERGEN Cty so got to see him wrestle a few times and first thing I said is need to be all over him. Could be our future heavyweight. He’s a hold back but regardless still a Freshman. Think he will be a 2-3x NJ State Champ. Has lightweight skills and great size. But was also a starting DT as a Freshman from what I was told so maybe Augie will be all over him too.

Composto will not beat Olivieri. I think Clark and Cedeno are Biggest threats. But Olivieri did beat Dylan already in Beast I think also by 1 point

What makes you say that? Not saying you’re wrong but Composto beat Olivieri in the 3rd place match in AC last year. That’s the last time I’ve seen him wrestle.

Weaver wins 4-1 to finish 7th. He beat Stefano Sgambellone from St Joe's who was ranked #6 in NJ by Flo.

Weaver looked like he was going to stuck on bottom in the 2nd but was able to get the late reversal. Also got a late TD after the escape in the 3rd.

Obviously not the result I'm sure he was looking for but hopefully it serves as a wake-up call to live in the weight room these next few years. He obviously has a ton of talent and a high level skill set as seen by as how dominate he was at 138 last year, but clearly needs to get much stronger.

From BERGEN Cty so got to see him wrestle a few times and first thing I said is need to be all over him. Could be our future heavyweight. He’s a hold back but regardless still a Freshman. Think he will be a 2-3x NJ State Champ. Has lightweight skills and great size. But was also a starting DT as a Freshman from what I was told so maybe Augie will be all over him too.

Shades of Lee Getz and Jimmy Lawson !

Oliveri looks like the 1st match at ETR.
Have to thank them for not scheduling this match after 5PM

Olivieri takes the title with a 1-0 win. Another 2 minute ride out. Didn’t look like he tried for any turns and was confident in his top game enough to ride out for the win.

Reactions: R U Crazy and MS-RU

Composto is out for the season with an ACL injury.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports...lows-role-model-earns-union-county-title.html

I imagine Anthony Clark will jump Olivieri when he gets a few more wins. Two pins and two techs this weekend in his first action back since the Beast tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT