ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

It's interesting that Flowrestling does not include the Blair wrestlers (does St Benedicts still have squad?), in their NJ rankings, only the NJSIAA schools just like NJcom does, but of course they are in their National rankings. I sort of understand why NJcom does it that way,not sure why Flo does.

I imagine Anthony Clark will jump Olivieri when he gets a few more wins. Two pins and two techs this weekend in his first action back since the Beast tournament.

He wrestled at 138 this weekend and at Beast before he got hurt, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

BC wins a nailbiter against St Joes Montvale. I think St Joes beat themselves though. I’m not sure the reasoning but St Joes was down 2 with 3 bouts left and they bumped up Almeyda from 120 to 126. They then got pinned at 120 and Almeyda dropped a decision to Robbie Howard so that’s 9 points towards BC. If Almeyda wins by decision of Kayal at 120 and they get pinned by Howard, it’s only a net loss of 3. Not to mention BC won by a defensive pin at 113. Probably a lot in the final matches that St Joes wants back.

Delbarton might top BC this year.

Kyonte ranked #10 on Flo’s class of 2021 big board.

Olivieri ranked #28. 2nd highest non-Blair kid from NJ, only behind Dean Peterson who he beat in the NJ 106 finals in 2018.

Weaver ranked #73, mislabeled as a Virginia commit.

Some Other guys that I think are realistic targets are Van Ness (2), Ungar (36), Santaniello (74), and Dunnigan (75)

NJ.com rankings updated today. Anthony Clark is apparently back at 138 which I didn’t realize. Smart choice for him as 138 was pretty wide open and he solidifies the class as the heavy favorite. Shame though that we likely won’t see him wrestle Olivieri in states, but it also makes Olivieri the favorite at 132.

Andy Clark they have as the new #1 at 152. I guess he bumped down as well. Weaver at #7.

O’neil #3 at 170. Poz #1 at 182. Epperly #8 at 195.

NJ.com rankings updated today. Anthony Clark is apparently back at 138 which I didn’t realize. Smart choice for him as 138 was pretty wide open and he solidifies the class as the heavy favorite. Shame though that we likely won’t see him wrestle Olivieri in states, but it also makes Olivieri the favorite at 132.

Andy Clark they have as the new #1 at 152. I guess he bumped down as well. Weaver at #7.

O’neil #3 at 170. Poz #1 at 182. Epperly #8 at 195.

I am pretty sure Clark and Olivieri are cousins, so that probably went into both their decisions on what weight class to wrestle in the post season. I remember when Olivieri(Frosh) and Clark(Soph) were supposed to meet at the Beast to see who went to the 3rd place match and Olivieri FF the match to Clark. I remember thinking wow, wanted to see that match and pretty sure someone told me they were cousins.

I am pretty sure Clark and Olivieri are cousins, so that probably went into both their decisions on what weight class to wrestle in the post season. I remember when Olivieri(Frosh) and Clark(Soph) were supposed to meet at the Beast to see who went to the 3rd place match and Olivieri FF the match to Clark. I remember thinking wow, wanted to see that match and pretty sure someone told me they were cousins.

You are correct, they are cousins.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Would be a fun match. Bragging rights at Easter dinner on the line

Would be a fun match. Bragging rights at Easter dinner on the line

Or creating some serious strife between cousins.

I remember the Roy brothers wrestling against each other in college at the EIWA tournament.Andrew Roy at Rutgers at the time against Dan Roy who is the head coach at Southern now.That had to be very difficult for the family to watch.

Nice day for our commits:

- Olivieri won the Morris County championship at 132 over Simon Ruiz (Delbarton)
- Poz won the GMC championship at 182
- Epperly won the Shore Conference championship at 195 over David Szuba (Brick Memorial) who was ranked higher than him in NJ in pretty much every ranking.
- Hamilton won the IAC conference championship at 220

Potential recruits in the Santaniello brothers did well as well. Vin took 2nd in the Shore to Dean Peterson. Younger brother Anthony who is my pick to win the state title at 106 defeated Evan Tallmadge who is ranked as high as 3 in the nation to win the Shore titles

Nice day for our commits:

- Olivieri won the Morris County championship at 132 over Simon Ruiz (Delbarton)
- Poz won the GMC championship at 182
- Epperly won the Shore Conference championship at 195 over David Szuba (Brick Memorial) who was ranked higher than him in NJ in pretty much every ranking.
- Hamilton won the IAC conference championship at 220

Nice to see Olivieri win over a Delbarton wrestler who is part of a Catholic school who heavily recruits across just about all their sports. Oh yeah, sorry.....these Catholic schools don't recruit athletes.... :eek:

Nice job Joey..way to take the win at the MCTs!!!

Flo updated their 2022 Big Board: Here are the top NJ targets.

#18 - Brian Soldano (High Point)
#29 - Alex Almeyda (St Joes)
#32 - Evan Tallmadge (Brick)
#50 - PJ Casale (Delbarton)
#52 - Joe Cangro (Bergen Catholic)
#60 - Evan Mougalian (Kinnelon)
#80 - Martin Cosgrove (Camden Catholic)
#84 - Andrew Troczinski (Delbarton)

Blair Guys:
#9 - Rylan Rogers
#17 - Noah Pettigrew
#20 - Thomas Stewart

Very deep sophomore class in NJ, hopefully we can keep a lot of them home.

Reactions: KidDagger

Looks like Kyonte is going to be a multi sport guy here. Hopefully this alleviates some of the fans concern that he may decommit from RU to focus on football.

Reactions: Kyontesdad
Always nervous kyonte might quit wrestling to go do football.. at least doing both is better then nothing and great that it’s both at RU :D

Agree, rather have him here.....but wanted him as a full time wrestler, not a part time wrestler.
I don’t think it’s a big deal. Rutgers football is typically done in mid/late November. If they pull off a bowl game it’s early December. Kyonte going heavyweight will already be in pretty good shape, wouldn’t have to cut, and the most important matches don’t occur until January anyway.

Reactions: Kyontesdad
I hope he sticks with wrestling as he has elite potential with his athletic ability and size. He is still learning and developing which is scary for his competition lol

Reactions: Clearscreen25
More money, he'll have to be put on a football scholarship.

The Big Ten is not forgiving of part-time wrestler/dual athletes. You're going up Cadet and Junior World Camps, like Stevenson or Penn State's Kerkvilet. Why is heavyweight so hard for Goodale to recruit. Wisconsin has the #3 285 right now, a sophomore. They have commitments from #1 at 220, a senior in Amos, and #3 at heavyweight, a junior in Copass. We have had an open slot begging for a top recruit to seize, and no takers? And have to settle for a part-time 285? What's wrong with this picture?

The Big Ten is not forgiving of part-time wrestler/dual athletes. You're going up Cadet and Junior World Camps, like Stevenson or Penn State's Kerkvilet. Why is heavyweight so hard for Goodale to recruit. Wisconsin has the #3 285 right now, a sophomore. They have commitments from #1 at 220, a senior in Amos, and #3 at heavyweight, a junior in Copass. We have had an open slot begging for a top recruit to seize, and no takers? And have to settle for a part-time 285? What's wrong with this picture?
Pretty unfair to criticize a Goodale here considering he got a commit from the #3 ranked 220 in the nation long before Schiano got him aboard as well.

Pretty unfair to criticize a Goodale here considering he got a commit from the #3 ranked 220 in the nation long before Schiano got him aboard as well.

To be fair, aside from Kyonte who is almost 2 years away from being on campus, the upper weight recruiting has been nothing short of disastrous over the last few years.

Reactions: koleszar
Poz seems like such a great kid and so easy to root for. I think he can do some real damage in college.
And he’s aggressive what looks like we lack. I think we had the 1st td once in last 3 matches. Watched Princeton today and they are aggressive off the whistle every match.
I think we lost leadership with ash, Syrian io and gravina gone no one to left to lead

Reactions: Clearscreen25
To be fair, aside from Kyonte who is almost 2 years away from being on campus, the upper weight recruiting has been nothing short of disastrous over the last few years.
I was absolutely thrilled with the Hamilton commitment, but if a high school wrestler is really considering trying to both play D1 football and wrestle in the B1G. then you aren't getting a 100% committed wrestler, and in our conference, you are going up against Cadet and Junior champs and medalists, future national and Olympic team members and contenders, laser-focused on getting better in wrestling all season round. I see other teams, like Wisconsin, getting multiple recruits for 285 in the same year . Or within 2 years of each other, receiving commitments from top 3 rated wrestlers. I hope that Goodale is still recruiting 285 for this year, next year and the following year, because it's possible we don't see Hamilton here, or at least not a version 100% committed to wrestling.

Well our performance clearly did not impress anyone. Remember we came in 2nd to Arizon State on Schultz the #1 heavy recruit from Corado.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Well our performance clearly did not impress anyone. Remember we came in 2nd to Arizon State on Schultz the #1 heavy recruit from Corado.
True but there is a lot to sell a recruit on...young team with obvious talnet, no depth up top, world class facilities, etc. Hopefully they can see past a few bad performances in a rebuilding yet. The coaches need the be able to sell that.

Reactions: Racpack

come on WNG - don’t let a few weak performances get to you. Even the Patriots have a bad year. Our future is bright with a young team. A great opportunity for a heavyweight. We can do it. You have seen us rebound before

ADVERTISEMENT