ADVERTISEMENT

Ru Field Hockey

I think, ultimately, that is going to be where our B1G affiliation pays the biggest dividends- Olympic sports.

Let's face it, football is a monster build competing against monster programs. To be nationally competitive with our built in schedule is going to take a herculean effort...and a lot of luck.

Hoops is a little easier, and where will see some success, much more quickly.

But Olympic sports, with more funding and care, can be competitive nationally. Too many good athletes in NJ, and the B1G backing and exposure puts it all on another level.

I think, ultimately, that is going to be where our B1G affiliation pays the biggest dividends- Olympic sports.

Let's face it, football is a monster build competing against monster programs. To be nationally competitive with our built in schedule is going to take a herculean effort...and a lot of luck.

But Olympic sports, with more funding and care, can be competitive nationally. Too many good athletes in NJ, and the B1G backing and exposure puts it all on another level.
I agree 100%. We already have 3 top grade Olympic programs at RU: Women's Soccer, Wrestling, and Men's Lacrosse. 3 are up and coming: Field Hockey, Men's Golf and Swimming. I think Hobbs will pull the plug on Donigan for an ace Men's Soccer coach, and hopefully will do the same for Women's Lacrosse. I'd like to see Crew and Volleyball grow and compete in the B1G as well. In 10 years time RU should be dominant in every non warm weather Olympic sport.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
From someone in the know the the improvement and increased recruiting is due to our volunteer assistant coach, who happens to be her husband!!

From someone in the know the the improvement and increased recruiting is due to our volunteer assistant coach, who happens to be her husband!!
Meredith had had two excellent recruiting classes just prior to his arrival this year. Whether he had involvement with those I don't know. The team had a solid year last year as well. The Frosh & Soph's are playing pivotal roles on this year's squad. Six Frosh, five Sophs & three upperclassmen played in last weekend's two victories.

Last edited:

Been saying this for years! The Big East was AWFUL for our Olympic sports - for a myriad of reasons discussed ad nauseum in the past - and the move to the B1G was EXACTLY what was needed to get things (finally) moving in the right direction for most of these sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT