ADVERTISEMENT

RU Football - no tailgating - so best 3 pizza options?

RUNYGDVLSFAN

Junior
Oct 13, 2014
Would love to tailgate... but until then, I am happy with eating great NJ Pizza and watching .

My top 3 (please note, have not had lot of other good places, but will work on it):

1. The Cabin - Freehold
2. Pete & Elda's - Neptune
3. Federici's - Freehold

*** Next goal - RAZZA in Jersey City & De Lorenzo's in Robbinsville

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Would love to tailgate... but until then, I am happy with eating great NJ Pizza and watching .

My top 3 (please note, have not had lot of other good places, but will work on it):

1. The Cabin - Freehold
3. Federici's - Freehold

1. The Cabin - Freehold
3. Federici's - Freehold

if you get to Robbinsville you must also have Papa's...the oldest pizzeria in America. MrScrew and I prefer it over DeLorenzos...

Reactions: jreinsdorf
if you get to Robbinsville you must also have Papa's...the oldest pizzeria in America. MrScrew and I prefer it over DeLorenzos...

@MrsScrew someone needs to start up a thread of "What are you having for the game" we used to participate in the "What are you having for your tailgate" but didn't see one posted this week. We need to keep some damn type of normalcy around these parts.

@MrsScrew someone needs to start up a thread of "What are you having for the game" we used to participate in the "What are you having for your tailgate" but didn't see one posted this week. We need to keep some damn type of normalcy around these parts.

I'm heading back to George Street tomorrow....Tavern on George...They are sold out..which is awesome and should make for a great experience

I like both, but always preferred spiritos over santillos. Plus, spiritos has a bar
Last time I was in Spirito's it was right after the building went up for sale and everyone thought the business was too, including the staff. Apparently the owners didn't communicate well with anyone.

In any case the place was packed, they were out of ravioli and the pizza took far, far, far too long to come out and when it did it was truly terrible. I've been there several times but the friend I went with had never been and it was horribly disappointing.

Things are probably better now that it's been made clear the business isn't for sale but I haven't been back.

Al Santillo, while wildly expensive imo, never disappoints. Especially if you really know what you're doing and either eat in the car or in non-Covid times go down the street to the Past Time Tavern.

Last time I was in Spirito's it was right after the building went up for sale and everyone thought the business was too, including the staff. Apparently the owners didn't communicate well with anyone.

In any case the place was packed, they were out of ravioli and the pizza took far, far, far too long to come out and when it did it was truly terrible. I've been there several times but the friend I went with had never been and it was horribly disappointing.

Things are probably better now that it's been made clear the business isn't for sale but I haven't been back.

Al Santillo, while wildly expensive imo, never disappoints. Especially if you really know what you're doing and either eat in the car or in non-Covid times go down the street to the Past Time Tavern.
Yes . Santillos never disappoints

Angeloni's in Caldwell - 8.8 on barstool
Landmark in Livingston - legend
Nonna's in Florham Park

Never been to Santillo's - heard its good. Star Tavern - overrated.

Why wait for the game? Debating between the Princeton trio of Conte's, Pizza Den, Nomad Pizza, and Tino's in Kingston for dinner tonight

Reactions: goru1869
I was thinking about hitting the Jersey Mike's that just opened in town before the game. This thread is changing my mind.

Besides they sponsor ND football. Not cool.

Angeloni's in Caldwell - 8.8 on barstool
Landmark in Livingston - legend
Nonna's in Florham Park

Never been to Santillo's - heard its good. Star Tavern - overrated.

I enjoy Star Tavern very much and think it's excellent pizza. That said, it is often put on these lofty perches where it does not belong.

Reactions: Jm0513
You just opened yourself up to anti jersey mikes responses . I will say for chain sub shop it’s good .
Now you and I just had a discussion about pizza on the level of art. Santillo's is expensive but it is without equal.

Yes, Jersey Mike's is pretty good for chain sandwiches. But at that price point for a full size 'pretty good' sub you should be getting better than that. Tastee is a little more than half the price and blows JM's doors off.

Unfortunately, Front Street Trattoria in Red Bank, NJ had the best stuffed pizza I have ever had. They are closed due to the pandemic and now for sale but (hopefully) one day mouths will water once again. There's a picture of their stuffed pizza. The margherita version comes will a small pitcher of pizza sauce.

1. The Cabin - Freehold
3. Federici's - Freehold

If you want real Jersey City pizza, go to Three Guys from Italy (Journal Sq), Prince of Pizza (McGuinley Square), Stadium Pizza (Rt 440).

You just opened yourself up to anti jersey mikes responses . I will say for chain sub shop it’s good .

I worked a couple Jersey Mike's corporate events several years ago. Really nice people from the top down so I admit my opinion may be as much a result of interaction as the food and why I like to throw a few bucks their was once in a while.

Reactions: BigWill
I worked a couple Jersey Mike's corporate events several years ago. Really nice people from the top down so I admit my opinion may be as much a result of interaction as the food and why I like to throw a few bucks their was once in a while.
Everything I have read or heard about their CEO and management has been positive.

Reactions: knightfan7

For a chain, yes. But you can find a local shop in half the towns in Bergen County that blow them away, particularly with respect to price.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Sun Tavern - Roselle Park - Get the old world pizza.

YES! 1000X YES!

Do you get it with or without sauce? We always get it with sauce.
Never let the bartender talk you into getting it with Vodka sauce. Ruins it.

I can go there with my sons and put away several of these things.

Their pepperoni & onion pie is great too.

EDIT: Also, important to note, the only bar pie I've had better than this is Nancy's Townhouse in Rahway. And Nancy's is like Santillo's only with a specialty on thin crust. Nancy's thin crust is bar-none the best anywhere.

Last edited:
Under no circumstances, eat Papa Johns! If you have to eat Pizza Hut, Doninos, Shop Rite frozen pizza, or pick up some dead leaves and pour Campbell’s tomato soup on them, or even starvation, those are still better options.If you wake up one morning and the world has become The Walking Dead, your safest place from the zombies is to hide at a Papa Johns. No humans would ever decide to break in there to find food since there is none. Even the zombies will pass by because they feel sorry for you.

I was thinking about hitting the Jersey Mike's that just opened in town before the game. This thread is changing my mind.

Besides they sponsor ND football. Not cool.
But Mr. Judge from the Yankees does commercials for them. I have also seen JM billboards including one on 206 where I live with him on it. Go Jersey Mikes !

Under no circumstances, eat Papa Johns! If you have to eat Pizza Hut, Doninos, Shop Rite frozen pizza, or pick up some dead leaves and pour Campbell’s tomato soup on them, or even starvation, those are still better options.If you wake up one morning and the world has become The Walking Dead, your safest place from the zombies is to hide at a Papa Johns. No humans would ever decide to break in there to find food since there is none. Even the zombies will pass by because they feel sorry for you.
Ok .....now tell us why .

1. The Cabin - Freehold
3. Federici's - Freehold

Agreed with many recomendations posted earlier DeLorenzos and Pappas are fantastic.

1)Vic's Bradley Beach
2)Deninos Aberdeen or Brick
3)Rosies Point Pleasant

Has anyone tried Massa Roman Square Pizza in Scotch Plains? It's supposed to be pretty good. I haven't made it over there yet.

DeLorenzos in Hamilton is a also very good btw. I prefer it over the Robbinsville location.

I am partial to Squan Tavern for pizza.

They do have a table next to their ND junk but I put up with it.

Pete Canro who owns Jersey Mikes is a nice guy. Not full of himself and gives to the communities that the stores service, either as the Corp of having the individual store owners buy into that type of giving to the community.

Way back in the day (late 70’s early 80’s) when he did stints on the Boonton (NJ) and Morristown (NJ) HS football staffs, Charlie Weis spent a few bucks on pizza at the Reservoir Tavern, Boonton, NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT