ADVERTISEMENT

RU Lax up on #10 Princeton 8-5 at the half

Originally posted by RUMountie:

Cali,
What's the best way to defend the player on Princeton, McDonald?, who scored 7 freakin goals.
Can you play something like a lax version of a box and one with one player man to man and the rest in a zone?
Just seemed like he is one guy you want to take away from PU. Overall RU looked much better, especially on offense.
Mountie
Cant really say if something like that has been tried before but can say through all my years in college playing and now coaching youth, and watching college games have never seen that specifically . It doesn't work well in lax at the upper levels compared to BBall due to the field size, the distance these players can now make a shot from and the fact that you also can't leave the man at X behind the goal undefended, otherwise he sits back there with all day to make a good pass to a cutter that finds an open area in the scoring area. The best way is to play tight man on that player with your best long stick D and the others be able to slide and adjust to other open men when the D guarding him gets beat. similar if in a zone have the defender closest to him play tighter and adjust as the ball is moved around,
Just my thoughts on this and welcome any other insight

This post was edited on 3/19 9:07 AM by njdirt

Keep the info coming Cali. At least it is about Rutgers athletics and not dome of the other junk we see here. Periodic updates on other Rutgers athletic events etc are appreciated by many and is a convenient way to follow our teams.

Originally posted by RU62:
Keep the info coming Cali. At least it is about Rutgers athletics and not dome of the other junk we see here. Periodic updates on other Rutgers athletic events etc are appreciated by many and is a convenient way to follow our teams.
Agreed

Everyone...
Please continue with game updates and final scores of all RU baseball, lacrosse, wrestling, WBB and any other sport you choose on THIS BOARD...thank you, and thanks Cali, damn we could have won that game!

Originally posted by zappaa:

Everyone...
Please continue with game updates and final scores of all RU baseball, lacrosse, wrestling, WBB and any other sport you choose on THIS BOARD...thank you, and thanks Cali, damn we could have won that game!
Just keep scores out of the title.

Everyone...
Damnit zap, don't you know that this board is for threads on pizza joints, bowel movements, tax advice, car mechanics, traffic tickets, vacations, dating tips, software suggestions, divorce attorney recommendations, bennie rants, car comparisons, weather forecasts and other more important topics?

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:

Everyone...
Damnit zap, don't you know that this board is for threads on pizza joints, bowel movements, tax advice, car mechanics, traffic tickets, vacations, dating tips, software suggestions, divorce attorney recommendations, bennie rants, car comparisons, weather forecasts and other more important topics?
You forgot inflatable rafts, hot dogs, taylor ham and flank steak...
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ElmiraExpress:
Originally posted by RU848789:

Originally posted by Caliknight:
Originally posted by RUPete:
I appreciate the updates because I'm less likely to go to the lax board. Douchebaggery is at an all-time high on the board.
It really is. To the guy questioning, I was thinking more people would be interested and see it here. And there is no "lacrosse board." There is an Olympic Sports board. Sorry to bust up all the milf and pizza threads with something RU related.
Cali - ignore the grief. I appreciate reading about lax, here, because nobody goes to the "other sports" board - I used to attend the occasional lacrosse game back when we were good, in the 80s, under Hayes. Haven't been in years, but if we got good again, I'd attend a few - same for men's soccer.

Also, it still boggles my mind how many people actually believe in jinxes and crap like that - as if your post somehow affected the outcome.
You don't believe in jinx's ??? how can you then explain so many unlucky or unfortunate occurrences after breaking one of the jinx taboos. For example, appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The cover person almost always has something unlucky happen. This has been proven conclusively by university statisticians. Let me guess, you are also one of those guys who does not believe in global warming ?
Can't tell if you're being serious or not, but in case you are, you're clueless. There is zero proof that what any fan does before or during an event will alter the outcome of said event (with regard to superstitions or jinxes, not WMD) - if you think what socks you wear or how you wear your hat or what you post on a message board matters, then you're part of the scientific illiteracy problem in this country. And if you don't know my views on anthropogenic global warming, then you haven't been paying attention.

Having said that, as I said in my other post, the mental state of the actual athlete involved can have an impact, as the mind is a pretty powerful thing - so if there is something that affects the athlete directly, there could be an impact. The SI "jinx" is urban legend though, from what I've read - if you have proof, otherwise, please share. Almost everyone comes down a bit in performance after a cover, which often is the pinnacle of one's performance. Certainly didn't hurt Jordan to be on the cover 49 times.

Against my better judgment, I checked this thread and am glad I did. Appreciate the support guys, though it really confounds me as to why people would have something against the occasional RU non football sport related thread. These guys must be a blast in real life.

RU#'s is right. I'm not on the team or involved directly in the program. I would agree that superstitions work with the athletes themselves from a mental/confidence perspective, but posting on a message board during the game? Get help if serious.

Regarding the box and one thing, it is rare, but I have seen it. In fact, when I was at RU we played Syracuse who had a player that had a least one goal in every game he played, and I believe he was close to some kind of record. We did something like this and shut him out. I have seen it more in doses, like extra man. I would personally do it a lot more if I were a coach. You take a teams QB away and it causes all kinds of discombobulating. Of course, if I were a coach, I would do a lot of different things. Probably why I am not a coach.
This post was edited on 3/19 6:12 PM by Caliknight

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Against my better judgment, I checked this thread and am glad I did. Appreciate the support guys, though it really confounds me as to why people would have something against the occasional RU non football sport related thread. These guys must be a blast in real life.

RU#'s is right. I'm not on the team or involved directly in the program. I would agree that superstitions work with the athletes themselves from a mental/confidence perspective, but posting on a message board during the game? Get help if serious.

Regarding the box and one thing, it is rare, but I have seen it. In fact, when I was at RU we played Syracuse who had a player that had a least one goal in every game he played, and I believe he was close to some kind of record. We did something like this and shut him out. I have seen it more in doses, like extra man. I would personally do it a lot more if I were a coach. You take a teams QB away and it causes all kinds of discombobulating. Of course, if I were a coach, I would do a lot of different things. Probably why I am not a coach.
This post was edited on 3/19 6:12 PM by Caliknight

Cali,
Thanks for coming back to respond. I know anybody who is positive and knowledgeable about RU sports gets eaten alive here. But, please pay no attention to the folks that think RU lacrosse is not worth being discussed on this board. Your info and insights are very much appreciated. Can't understand why anyone who likes football would not like lacrosse. The have common elements as lax also has with basketball, soccer, hockey, etc. Anyway I am as a high school and youth coach, I am firm believer in trying to take away the other team's best option and make their other players beat you. I think if we would have slowed PU's McDonald we would have won that game easily. Obviously in terms of defending, lax has challenges of defending a very large area and even quicker ball movement compared to bball so you can't always use the same schemes.

Agreed about McDonald. That kid is a box player with exceptional skills, especially in close. We had an injury on D which forced one of d-mid poles down low. He is a really good player, but you could see he was having trouble with getting picked on the crease. This was a big problem covering a guy like McDonald who doesn't need much room to operate.

Those crease guys are tough to shut off if they work off picks and are good in small space, which this kid is exceptional at both. We could have done a better job on him, but that kid has over 100 goals. He scores on everyone.

Princeton is very legit. I think they are the best team in the Ivy, and a title contender. I have seen them play a few times now and they have won a bunch of different ways. This will serve them well come tourney time.

Missed opportunity for us, but the kids played hard and the best they have all year. Hopefully they can continue that today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT