ADVERTISEMENT

RU Men's Golf Lands Commit From TX

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Any clue who it is? It's pretty cool that a kid from a warm weather state is coming up north to play a warm weather sport. Isn't Hobbs supposed to be fundraising for new golf facilities soon?

Any clue who it is? It's pretty cool that a kid from a warm weather state is coming up north to play a warm weather sport. Isn't Hobbs supposed to be fundraising for new golf facilities soon?
I think they already have the plans set to go. When I was at Rutgers the golf coach had no idea how to play golf just another example of a joke athletic department

Reactions: bigmatt718
Does this mean the Rutgers golf course will get a face lift

It’s an awfully easy course. I played Rutgers three days ago and Neshanic valley yesterday. I shot 8 strokes better at Rutgers.

I would imagine a course where a scrub like me can break 90 doesn’t put us in play to host BIG10 championship, etc.

I would love a newer nicer course to play on.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Does this mean the Rutgers golf course will get a face lift

It’s an awfully easy course. I played Rutgers three days ago and Neshanic valley yesterday. I shot 8 strokes better at Rutgers.

I would imagine a course where a scrub like me can break 90 doesn’t put us in play to host BIG10 championship, etc.

I would love a newer nicer course to play on.
No I believe it’s just the facilities across the street. Not sure you can do much to the course itself

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
No I believe it’s just the facilities across the street. Not sure you can do much to the course itself

Deepen the bunkers for starters.

Convert the false fronts into traps.

Put bunkers in the middle of the fairway. They are short holes. Force some thought into shot making.

Lots of things you can do to make a course harder without lengthening it.

Either way, glad to see the driving range get a face lift. Golf for us northerners is tough.

Reactions: Skull83

Deepen the bunkers for starters.

Convert the false fronts into traps.

Put bunkers in the middle of the fairway. They are short holes. Force some thought into shot making.

Lots of things you can do to make a course harder without lengthening it.

Either way, glad to see the driving range get a face lift. Golf for us northerners is tough.
Yeah you are right about that but I am not actually sure who owns or runs the course I know Rutgers owns the land but I don’t think they are involved in the operations of the course and that would be a pretty expensive undertaking

Yeah you are right about that but I am not actually sure who owns or runs the course I know Rutgers owns the land but I don’t think they are involved in the operations of the course and that would be a pretty expensive undertaking

I am pretty sure Rutgers owns the management company.

It would be super expensive. I’m sure though we could get coach goodale and the football coach to turn a lot of the manual labor into a “work out” :)

Not like I'm a good golfer, but in the words of Hank Haney, "there ARE NO easy holes."

Obviously, if there aren't easy holes, there aren't easy golf courses.

Not like I'm a good golfer, but in the words of Hank Haney, "there ARE NO easy holes."

Obviously, if there aren't easy holes, there aren't easy golf courses.

@Ban Basketball i think if you go play Rutgers and then Royce Brook you’ll see what I am saying.

As a weekend warrior golfer it doesn’t matter. To elevate the golf program, I would imagine we need a better course. That being said, are we as a cold weather area just resigned to being the afterthought school?

That being said, are we as a cold weather area just resigned to being the afterthought school?
You're asking an Iowan that question? :smiley:

But, with that said, Illinois has been a powerhouse in golf for a decade or more, so the climate may not be as big of a factor as we think.

Last edited:
Some cold weather schools, I think Illinois is one, have fantastic semi-outdoor practice facilities. Tons of money goes into those programs. I don’t think a lot of schools have a course on campus so that’s a plus for RU, but they need a club house for the team and could make some improvements such as cited above by banjo. I hope I never see the day when the administration decides to convert it to buildings, which periodically gets brought up (but I’m not sure by whom.)

Some cold weather schools, I think Illinois is one, have fantastic semi-outdoor practice facilities. Tons of money goes into those programs. I don’t think a lot of schools have a course on campus so that’s a plus for RU, but they need a club house for the team and could make some improvements such as cited above by banjo. I hope I never see the day when the administration decides to convert it to buildings, which periodically gets brought up (but I’m not sure by whom.)
Northern Iowa, a DI golf program, does not have a campus course, nor a clubhouse, outside of the public clubhouse that it is.

But, we play good in the snow!

Last edited:
Before we had an RU golf course, we played our matches at Forsgate as our home course. That ended in 1963 when the Rutgers course I opened. Today they don’t play dual matches against other schools. It is all tournament stroke play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT