ADVERTISEMENT

RU- Mich 2014 on now...Refs

Soo.. you cannot picture underthrown long balls to Carro where he held up, outfought the defenders, pulled in the catch then beat the defenders for a TD or a huge gain? That seemed to happen every game. sure there were also long passes hitting guys in stride.. and Nova had good games too (like both Arkansas games).. but he also threw INTs from a nearly horizontal position.

There was a reason Nova was a controversial figure at QB. He was not as good as you make him out to be. G-RUnit summed it up pretty well.
Yes that happened against Indiana in 2015 when Carroo was injured. Nova didn’t throw that pass. Send me a clip because I watch his games and see a lot of good throws and some not so good throws. I watched Kansas St and USF last night and Teel made some great throws and some not so great throws. We miss QB’s like them. I am not making him out to be anything. He made plays and we won games. Same with Teel. I miss the bowl games. Those guys were part of 8 bowl teams in their 8 years of eligibility. Get it yet?

Reactions: Scarlet83
The WVU game (in the snow with Eric making an appearance) during his freshman year drove me crazy as well. There was one crucial play where he ran past the line of scrimmage and still threw the ball. However, he was impressive in the Michigan game and the North Carolina game during his senior year. I do agree with many that he is probably the best quarterback in school history as a Big Ten member, but I am still holding onto the hope that Art will pass him with time.

I always had the impression until his Sr Year that he was under strict direction to never cross the LOS with the ball in his hand. And some of those plays were the result of his instincts taking over and then his mind start thinking too much instead of just playing the game.

I believe he pretty much holds most of our records...
This is why I believe Nova gets a bad rep. Had Gary been with Ralph Friedgen , as someone already mentioned for 4 years , I suspect we may have seen by years 3/4 a very good to better QB . Make no mistake , given what he had to deal with ( multi OC‘s ) Nova had a respectable career.

This is why I believe Nova gets a bad rep. Had Gary been with Ralph Friedgen , as someone already mentioned for 4 years , I suspect we may have seen by years 3/4 a very good to better QB . Make no mistake , given what he had to deal with ( multi OC‘s ) Nova had a respectable career.
Yep- last 3 years all between 2100-2900 yds and 22/18/22 TDs each year - it isn't great but it is very respectful

Nova was either Supernova, or Turnova. He had very little in-between.
Within the last couples of years I’ve seen Nova participate at Michael Burton’s fund-raising football clinic at Long Valley’s West Morris Central HS. Nova was a more than serviceable QB at Rutgers. I’m not sure I would rate any of our QBs in recent memory above him.

Yep- last 3 years all between 2100-2900 yds and 22/18/22 TDs each year - it isn't great but it is very respectful
Would we have loved those stats the past 4 years? You better believe it... for all his warts Nova was a good QB , teammate and Rutgers Man.

And the Penn State game all he had to do was throw better pass to Tyler Kroft and we win.
Many better QB’s have done exactly the same at some point. What I loved is you never knew what Gary was going to do... it could be great or it...or be an oh crap. Gary Nova came here when he didn’t have to. So just for that I’m glad he had a very good career.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
When I think of Nova, I always think of him throwing the game winning TD to Carroo at the home Arkansas game. I think it was 4th down. What a beautiful throw.

Yep, we almost had an INT at one point, and they throw PI against us.

I watch these games when on the treadmill and have seen them a bazillion times.

The announcers (color man) commented that "it would have been intercepted if it was a better throw".

How is that Defensive PI?

Would be good to have refs, B1G, NCAA all watch and grade dubious plays...we deserve justice too: #rutgersroolz

MO

or maybe it was that Nova got several OCs fired by not learning from their coaching.

I do think coaching had a lot to do with it and I blame Flood. He should have benched Nova on many occasions. If you recall Flood's stint as co-OC in charge of the run game.. his schemes were awful. And when he became head coach.. with the best talent we ever assembled here.. his offense struggled as did his recruiting of offensive players who saw his crap and said, thank you, no.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersMO
or maybe it was that Nova got several OCs fired by not learning from their coaching.
Doubt it ... Friedgen was a very good head coach and a OC who was able to relate and cull the best from his players. I specifically remember him at Maryland and the game at RU ... about 90 billion degrees ... no breeze... a huge O line ( like HUGE) and speed and size to burn on D and at RB... knew that day we “ was in B1G trouble “.

I do think coaching had a lot to do with it and I blame Flood. He should have benched Nova on many occasions. If you recall Flood's stint as co-OC in charge of the run game.. his schemes were awful. And when he became head coach.. with the best talent we ever assembled here.. his offense struggled as did his recruiting of offensive players who saw his crap and said, thank you, no.

Was it Nova, Teel or both that threw 6 or 7 ints. in ONE GAME?

Don't you think benching after 3 ints...and trying out one of the alternatives would have reasonable?

MO

When I think of Nova, I always think of him throwing the game winning TD to Carroo at the home Arkansas game. I think it was 4th down. What a beautiful throw.

Many of us thought Thank God For Carroo!!!

Was it Nova, Teel or both that threw 6 or 7 ints. in ONE GAME?

Don't you think benching after 3 ints...and trying out one of the alternatives would have reasonable?

MO
Yeahbaby is trying to get us all to think of Nova's time here as his highlight reel. If Nova was handled better by Flood, Nova would have been better, sooner. As it was, he quickly learned that no matter what he did, the job was his and acted as if no outside criticism was valid. That did not appeal to many fans.

Reactions: G- RUnit
And crapping all over Gary Nova. . . . .

How quickly many of you forget crapping on Chase Dodd who did just as well when given the chance. Also a great Rutgers man! Everything is relative. Dodd saved Nova at Iowa State and did well against USF. Game he didn't have Carroo hurt us at UConn.

Many of us thought Thank God For Carroo!!!
No doubt Carroo saved many games for us. Outside of Britt being a physical specimen / records held, I still argue Carroo was the best WR in the last 20 years for Rutgers. But on that play the throw was just a beautiful as the catch.

Yeahbaby is trying to get us all to think of Nova's time here as his highlight reel. If Nova was handled better by Flood, Nova would have been better, sooner. As it was, he quickly learned that no matter what he did, the job was his and acted as if no outside criticism was valid. That did not appeal to many fans.
You are correct on your last point. Nova knew he was good and was not coming out. He was from Don Bosco and probably promised he would be the starter. That being said, good or bad he played his heart out for us and did give us plenty of great moments. He deserves our respect because we would kill for a QB of his ability since he has been gone.

No doubt Carroo saved many games for us. Outside of Britt being a physical specimen / records held, I still argue Carroo was the best WR in the last 20 years for Rutgers. But on that play the throw was just a beautiful as the catch.

Sanu and Brown in conversation. Andrew Baker!

You are correct on your last point. Nova knew he was good and was not coming out. He was from Don Bosco and probably promised he would be the starter. That being said, good or bad he played his heart out for us and did give us plenty of great moments. He deserves our respect because we would kill for a QB of his ability since he has been gone.

Played his heart out? Coming in out of shape? I guess how one interprets.

How quickly many of you forget crapping on Chase Dodd who did just as well when given the chance. Also a great Rutgers man! Everything is relative. Dodd saved Nova at Iowa State and did well against USF. Game he didn't have Carroo hurt us at UConn.
I loved Dodd and will never disrespect him. He was a warrior and did well in many games. His issue was his height. Too many knocked down passes. It was tough to have a player of his and Nova's abilities on the same team. There were many times I thought Flood should have taken out Nova. However, as I said above, no way Flood was taking out Nova since he was a NJ player and from Bosco. He needed the North Jersey recruiting pipeline. Sitting Nova wasn't going to help that. Not saying it's right but Flood had to do what he thought was right.

Sanu and Brown in conversation. Andrew Baker!
Sanu definitely and may have been better. I just think Carroo had the best mix of hands, route running and being in the right place. He was the #1 and everyone knew it. And he delivered over and over.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
I celebrate both of their entire catalogs of work!

Played his heart out? Coming in out of shape? I guess how one interprets.
If you don't think Nova gave it his best on game-day, then I don't know what to say. I watched him from his high school days. He was a gamer. Didn't always deliver and made a ton a questionable plays for us, but to me you can't question his heart.

When Nova played his last game, my buddy said, "thank God!" I warned him that he might think otherwise when he saw the replacement. Nova wasn't perfect, but he was pretty darn good.

After what we have seen at the QB position since 2014, you would think people would look back on his time here and think it was pretty exceptional.

When Nova played his last game, my buddy said, "thank God!" I warned him that he might think otherwise when he saw the replacement. Nova wasn't perfect, but he was pretty darn good.

After what we have seen at the QB position since 2014, you would think people would look back on his time here and think it was pretty exceptional.
#FreeRettig

There is a guy that sits near me (one of those idiots that wears the old school football helmet every game). In truth he took the helmet off one day and actually looked better with it on. I digress. He was one of those that ragged on Nova every game. Always screaming for him to be benched. Then giddy like a school girl when he threw a TD. With all our recent QB's I actually heard him a year or so ago say he wished Nova was back. I just shook my head.

For those that don't like Nova, I get it. However that kid failed and always came back the next week like nothing happened the prior week. I know he took a lot of crap on campus. To be a good QB, you need a short memory. He had that.

I loved Dodd and will never disrespect him. He was a warrior and did well in many games. His issue was his height. Too many knocked down passes. It was tough to have a player of his and Nova's abilities on the same team. There were many times I thought Flood should have taken out Nova. However, as I said above, no way Flood was taking out Nova since he was a NJ player and from Bosco. He needed the North Jersey recruiting pipeline. Sitting Nova wasn't going to help that. Not saying it's right but Flood had to do what he thought was right.
I always said if we could find Dr Frankenstein and have him put Dodd's brain and heart in Nova's body, we'd have a first team all American

And what were his overall career stats? Where does he sit in relationship to others during the past 50 years?

Within the last couples of years I’ve seen Nova participate at Michael Burton’s fund-raising football clinic at Long Valley’s West Morris Central HS. Nova was a more than serviceable QB at Rutgers. I’m not sure I would rate any of our QBs in recent memory above him.

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him play, and I disagree with those who blame the Penn State game on him. I still remember watching him throw a great pass to Grant that bounced off Grant's helmet and into a Penn State player's hands. There really should be an "error" state in Football for interceptions that are the receiver's fault.

If you don't think Nova gave it his best on game-day, then I don't know what to say. I watched him from his high school days. He was a gamer. Didn't always deliver and made a ton a questionable plays for us, but to me you can't question his heart.

He was handed the job and admitted he wasn't in shape his first year? I don't know. I thought Dodd wanted it more and had a hecka more heart and moxie. Agree to disagree. My three most painful losses in the Flood era were PSU, Kent and Va Tech.

I wonder what Sanu could have done with a better gameplan his first two years. Sanu's 2011 was better than either of Caroo's seasons, though he averaged about half per reception.. but that's on the OC and QBs imho. He can only run the routes given to him. I recall seeing so many of those little hook routes result in balls thrown a bit wide and he'd have to make amazing moves to snare em... and then get hammered.

Tres Moses also counts as "last 20 years". That man could catch.

Reactions: Section124
He was handed the job and admitted he wasn't in shape his first year? I don't know. I thought Dodd wanted it more and had a hecka more heart and moxie. Agree to disagree. My three most painful losses in the Flood era were PSU, Kent and Va Tech.
Same 3 losses for me. I'm not going to go crazy for Nova being out of shape his first year. Three more years after. I do think they played him too much that first year.

The WVU game (in the snow with Eric making an appearance) during his freshman year drove me crazy as well. There was one crucial play where he ran past the line of scrimmage and still threw the ball. However, he was impressive in the Michigan game and the North Carolina game during his senior year. I do agree with many that he is probably the best quarterback in school history as a Big Ten member, but I am still holding onto the hope that Art will pass him with time.
Probably the only QB in history to be named conference player of the week in three different conferences while on the same team.

Exactly. How do we teach those who cannot see the game?

Dodd the one who got hosed. Just as good as Nova.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT