ADVERTISEMENT

RU needs to take this into account when pricing tickets/parking

This is across all sports. They need to bring back the "blackout"option. Having games blacked out will require people to attend games. By attending games, you learn to realize that going to the game is more than just the actual game, it is a mini event. Going to one game a year does not create that atmosphere.

They won't lower prices but I don't see much ground to raise them.

If we going bowling this year my guess is they will and I'm OK with that.

This is across all sports. They need to bring back the "blackout"option. Having games blacked out will require people to attend games. By attending games, you learn to realize that going to the game is more than just the actual game, it is a mini event. Going to one game a year does not create that atmosphere.

Yea you are right, lets screw over the people that can't afford tickets and dont let them watch on TV.

Reactions: RUaMoose
They've already raised some prices for this coming season.

Lots of reasons for the attendance decline (not just college football). One of the things that bothers me is the amount of stoppages for TV timeouts and long replays when at the stadium. I understand in SEC polls, fans are not complaining about the length of the game, but it is getting out of hand. In the day and age, where offenses are trying to run 100+ plays, between all stoppages in play, the first downs (clock stops), the in-completions and the changes of possession, it's a wonder these games ever end. Thankfully Rutgers offense takes time off the clock and then punts.

prices for parking have become outrageous...I am okay with the donations to qualify for parking..but then to actually throw an extra $30 or whatever they charge on top of the base price is absurd...$50 for parking...lmfao to see a product that has generally been terrible 4 of the last 5 years.

people are not all that interested in paying tons of money for season tix, parking and donations..especially for poor programs but this is even reaching the better programs as well

plus students just are not into it as much as they were..changing demo if you read the article. Millenials seem to not be all that interested in the game day experience compared to previous generations of student fans. And again it seems like its across the board not just a losing schools

Have you seen what television contracts look like now?

Reactions: daneman100
prices for parking have become outrageous...I am okay with the donations to qualify for parking..but then to actually throw an extra $30 or whatever they charge on top of the base price is absurd...$50 for parking...lmfao to see a product that has generally been terrible 4 of the last 5 years.

people are not all that interested in paying tons of money for season tix, parking and donations..especially for poor programs but this is even reaching the better programs as well

plus students just are not into it as much as they were..changing demo if you read the article. Millenials seem to not be all that interested in the game day experience compared to previous generations of student fans. And again it seems like its across the board not just a losing schools

These kids are not millennials. I'm a millennial. I'm 32.

I agree with you that the program gas been horrible. That is def. Going to hurt sales. Students will also show if the game and competition is more fun. They will then take those memories into adulthood. We are going back to what we were pre-2006 now ... It's going to kill interest .

Obviously though that's just RU. I think TV and streaming is killing most sports from a live standpoint, and same with Movie-going. There will always be those who want to go to live games and see films on the big screen etc, but it'll be a smaller market .

Is it loyal or declining?

Overall Season Ticketholder has declined an astonishing -30% over the last 2 years at RU Football. With this must also coincide with a decline in the Number in our most loyal football supporters. Keep on fleecing the loyal fans with absurd parking prices, weak Out of Conference games, etc. and see where this Attendance goes.

Overall Season Ticketholder has declined an astonishing -30% over the last 2 years at RU Football. With this must also coincide with a decline in the Number in our most loyal football supporters. Keep on fleecing the loyal fans with absurd parking prices, weak Out of Conference games, etc. and see where this Attendance goes.

That has a lot to do with the garbage results on the field more than anything else. As that improves so will attendance.

Didn't we play a top ten Washington Husky team at home last year?

As a long time season RU ticket holder I can see why the drop continues yearly. In this Metro area we have a laundry list of things to do...attractions to see... and with pro sports in just about every category.The Rutgers product put forward in athletics has been dismal.No make that putrid for way too long.How long does the administration think Joe Q Public is gonna boost up the season ticket line ? Regardless of how much we anticipate in future years our debt is an issue.As is the countries debt problem ....ours is just as bad.Attendance has steadily decreased now for several years especially in the major sports.I predict another down year attendance wise.At this time after 40+ years I am on the fence about renewing for 2018.Not a money issue for us.It has come down to being smart with my entertainment funds.I would rather give my children and grand kids the $$$$. RU needs to put a better product out there if they are going to attempt to be like our East conference bretheran.

There a lot they can do to improve ticket sale before going nuclear and have blackouts.

1. Control prices. Prices everywhere have gotten out of hand. Take a lesson from the new stadium in Atlanta. Lower concession prices and give people more value for their money. Not everyone wants to have a huge tailgate. Allow affordable and quality food inside the stadium.

2. Fewer homes games and improve quality. I would love for the NCAA to mandate a 6 home game schedule. Let’s eliminate bought games. I would rather see 6 P5 homes games then 7 games with two rent a victims. The other advantage is for us fans who travel distances it get exhausting when you open up with 3 or 4 straight home games back to back.

4. Fewer weekday games and more flexibility with start times. Weekday games often kill attendance. Allows schools to have more late games that are better attended. In my opinion no game should start prior to 1 pm eastern.

5. Start the season a week earlier. Give fans and players more recovery time. Allow schools to choose wether they want to play over thanksgiving weekend which often hurts attendance. It will also allow more flexibility with TV times. There will be fewer teams playing each week.

So RU was ahead of the curve. That's nice

Had season from '01 to '13. I moved to Boston in '2007. Then the 3rd kid came along. Oh well.

I got a call last Thursday night and one 15min ago that I let go to voicemail. It was to re up for season tickets. Rutgers knows I live in Boston.

Rutgers must be hurting bad if you or really asking a guy 4hrs away. I beginning to fell sorry for them.

(Society sold out for TV money making the live game awful to sit through. Plus, tastes have changed with these phone and you can watch highlights of anything from around the world. If I still lived in Jersey, I'd probably still have my 2 tix. But now? Never again. That Div II playoff Assumption game this last fall with no TV timeouts was bliss. Old time fun. Under 3hrs.)

Last edited:
Winning is a cure all for better attendance and higher levels of financial donor support.Season ticket holders will continue to decline based on team performance ,matchups and cost for tickets and parking.Individual game purchases are driven by opponent,time of game and weather conditions.

The new tax code that no longer allows for the charitable deductions of college sports seat donations and no longer allows businesses to write off sports tickets for entertainment will further dent attendance, or at least ticket prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaRU102
I have had season tix for hoops since I graduated which was after the 93 season.....the program has not been to a NCAA tournament in 27 years....season tix numbers are under 2K. It really makes no sense for people to have season tix in either sport if they are not die hard. Quite frankly my luster for both sports is waning as I am getting older, I am tired of shelling out money and time for bad product every year in both sports. Yes a brief spurt during GS but now its receded again. Just tired of the losing and its not really fun anymore to be honest, more of a chore now.

There a lot they can do to improve ticket sale before going nuclear and have blackouts.

1. Control prices. Prices everywhere have gotten out of hand. Take a lesson from the new stadium in Atlanta. Lower concession prices and give people more value for their money. Not everyone wants to have a huge tailgate. Allow affordable and quality food inside the stadium.

2. Fewer homes games and improve quality. I would love for the NCAA to mandate a 6 home game schedule. Let’s eliminate bought games. I would rather see 6 P5 homes games then 7 games with two rent a victims. The other advantage is for us fans who travel distances it get exhausting when you open up with 3 or 4 straight home games back to back.

4. Fewer weekday games and more flexibility with start times. Weekday games often kill attendance. Allows schools to have more late games that are better attended. In my opinion no game should start prior to 1 pm eastern.

5. Start the season a week earlier. Give fans and players more recovery time. Allow schools to choose wether they want to play over thanksgiving weekend which often hurts attendance. It will also allow more flexibility with TV times. There will be fewer teams playing each week.

this

once EVERYTHING became about money....sometime in the 2000s college sports took a downhill slide...and you know its okay to not have games televised...I think the oversaturation of games certainly has hurt. Do we need to see RU hoops having 22 home games on their season ticket package like they did this year mostly playing dregs of college hoops save for 2 schools in the non conference slate. It all about tv and money and the NCAA is basically full of shit about everything they talk about.

Reactions: kcg88 and MozRU
You can only pump the well so much. Fans, alumni, etc. are willing to put up with some price increases over time. When it turns into an almost annual event, eventually fans will question if the experience is equal to the dollars they put out.

One word every sports owner and athletic director should be deathly afraid of is "home-gating." Essentially the price of a day at a sporting event would equal the cost of throwing a great party at your home, inviting friends over and enjoying the game on TV. And still have money left over. They get the "fun" part of the experience, but without the hassle of loading up the car and waiting in traffic. That may sound like sports heresy but when you're squeezing every dollar from your fan base, the fan base eventually is going to say "no more."

Start playing competitive games, win some of them and the fans will be back. I dropped my tix last year because I couldn't get anyone to take a free ticket. I was tired of leaving at half time because the game was out of hand and the offense couldn't get a 1st down. I'll buy them again when I see things start to change.

I want to see another Louisville type game which is hands down better to watch live than on television.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I have had season tix for hoops since I graduated which was after the 93 season.....the program has not been to a NCAA tournament in 27 years....season tix numbers are under 2K. It really makes no sense for people to have season tix in either sport if they are not die hard. Quite frankly my luster for both sports is waning as I am getting older, I am tired of shelling out money and time for bad product every year in both sports. Yes a brief spurt during GS but now its receded again. Just tired of the losing and its not really fun anymore to be honest, more of a chore now.

Damn

If high costs and technology (easy TV watching or streaming) are big reasons for CFB attendance declining, then why hasn't NFL attendance similarly declined?

If high costs and technology (easy TV watching or streaming) are big reasons for CFB attendance declining, then why hasn't NFL attendance similarly declined?

I think NFL attendance demographics are pretty different in markets where NFL and CFB compete for asses in the seats.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
If I ever fell on hard times my season tickets would be the first thing to go. I basically have the least expensive seats and, with my seat donation, are over $500 per ticket. Plus the money for parking, travel, tailgate vehicle, food & booze and even with PSU playing as well as we are I question if it’s worth it.

Lots of reasons for the attendance decline (not just college football). One of the things that bothers me is the amount of stoppages for TV timeouts and long replays when at the stadium. I understand in SEC polls, fans are not complaining about the length of the game, but it is getting out of hand. In the day and age, where offenses are trying to run 100+ plays, between all stoppages in play, the first downs (clock stops), the in-completions and the changes of possession, it's a wonder these games ever end. Thankfully Rutgers offense takes time off the clock and then punts.

You are so right..The last game I attended was Army up in WP (Flood's last year iirc). They were taking TV timeouts in the middle of drives !. I told my wife, never again, I'm done. I think that game took close to 4 hours to complete. It's all greed.

Reactions: MozRU and RURM85

Maybe in places like GB, Philly and Dallas but check attendance in places like Cincy, Indy and Tampa

At this point in time, I consider my tickets to be part of my annual donation. Sometimes I make the games, most of the time I don't. I wonder if the Athletic Department would just prefer a check equal to the amount I pay for tickets and parking?

at this point the ONLY reason I keep the tix is the tailgate with friends I don't see enough..half
the time I don't even feel like going in to watch since the games have been awful...

that said I do not go to NFL games anymore...you think college is bad..for NFL you have to build
way too much time out of a day to go...and I used to LOVE to go to NYG games...

when I leave NJ in a few years I can see coming up for maybe 1 game a year ...kinda beaten down
some at this point

Primo parking in the Blue/Yellow lot isn't that outrageous when you compare it to other big time schools.

The problem with parking (and ticket prices to an extent) is you can't keep changing the price to align with results on the field which have been absolutely putrid.

With that said the choice to raise any prices in parking this year was a very poor one.

Reactions: ATIOH
If this team was full of 5* recruits and had a chance to win the BIG the place would be full.

The tickets aren’t very expensive but it just comes down to value. Why pay for season tickets when you can pick up a seat for half price in the Scarlet Lot, 15 minutes before kick off.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT