ADVERTISEMENT

RU needs to take this into account when pricing tickets/parking

May I ask, going back to the original part of this thread, is parking this year for season ticket holders
going up from $30 to$50 ?

RV pass in Yellow is the same as it's been.

For cars...
All I know is that for Blue I was charged $40, same as it was last year.
The difference is they assigned the lot already.

I believe, but can not confirm, that the other lots are the same as they were last year, which is as follows:
Scarlet & Green were $50
Yellow & Blue were $40
Purple & Black were $30

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: PaRU102
I believe, but can not confirm, that the other lots are the same as they were last year, which is as follows:
Scarlet & Green were $50
Yellow & Blue were $40
Purple & Black were $30

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I heard that Yellow had gone up to $60/game.

$60 to park is crazy. Especially compared to the product on the field.
You already have to donate $1000 - $2500 just to qualify for one of the lots where the price increased. When I found out about the price increase during the renewal process, I checked with my ticket group to ensure they were OK with the increased cost. Their response was that it works out to a couple extra bucks a game, which is minor compared to what we're already paying, including tickets and our tailgating expenses.

But we always had the option to drop to Blue or Purple to save money.

That said, if Rutgers is charging us more money, they need to do a better job making our tailgate experience worth the money. That means better traffic control, parking attendants who give us enough space to tailgate, and don't hassle us for wanting multiple cars side by side, more portajohns to reduce lines, etc.

Reactions: Leonard23
You already have to donate $1000 - $2500 just to qualify for one of the lots where the price increased.

That said, if Rutgers is charging us more money, they need to do a better job making our tailgate experience worth the money. That means better traffic control, parking attendants who give us enough space to tailgate, and don't hassle us for wanting multiple cars side by side, more portajohns to reduce lines, etc.
Considering what you guys do already with you support this part isn’t too much to ask.

Last edited:
Yes, and I parked adjacent to Illinois and Michigan stadiums for $20 vs. the $60 that RU has the audacity to charge. Nebraska was $25 and the walk was about the same as the Purple lot.
I call BS on the Michigan parking, the HS down the street charges $50, you must have parked on someones lawn for $20

Reactions: S_Janowski
If you paid $20 for a parking pass adjacent to the stadium at Michigan, you bought it on the secondary market. Those lots at Michigan are reserved for mega donors only.

Not sure about Illinois and Nebraska, but I'll guess you're not making apples-to-apples comparisons here either.

Oh but I am. People attempting to justify a $60 per Game Parking charge on the Busch campus are beyond ludicrous.
We already pay through the nose with donations for the “right” to have access to these Lots.
RU is pushing it and the fleecing of loyal fans will not end well.

FWIW I paid $20 to park in a garage at Nebraska and the walk was about the same as from the Purple Lot. . The walk from the Illinois lot was even shorter and the same $. I stand corrected the Michigan lot was at the Tennis Center and had to walk thru the Golf Course ( allows full parking) to get to the Stadium. Maybe a 20 minute walk...was $25 I think.

Actually, what I was referring to is how much of the additional ticket revenue is offset by having 5-10-15,000 fewer people in the stands paying for food/drink at the concessions stands.
They get around that problem by outsourcing the concessions to Sodexo. They get revenue certainty from the vendor and no worries about how many hot dogs or nachos get sold.

Primo parking in the Blue/Yellow lot isn't that outrageous when you compare it to other big time schools.

Okay. When we have a few national championships under our belts we can compare our parking to the big time schools.

In the meantime, parking in blue/yellow is outrageous when compared to Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Vandy, and other schools that average about 40,000/game.

Reactions: bac2therac
Okay. When we have a few national championships under our belts we can compare our parking to the big time schools.

In the meantime, parking in blue/yellow is outrageous when compared to Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Vandy, and other schools that average about 40,000/game.

exactly...these are the schools that we should compare to because these are our peers not Michigan or Penn State. Our peers are schools that have done virtually nothing in the world of college football. To expect some fervent demand to pay alot for parking and for season tix for a school that has done zilch is faulty thinking

exactly...these are the schools that we should compare to because these are our peers not Michigan or Penn State. Our peers are schools that have done virtually nothing in the world of college football. To expect some fervent demand to pay alot for parking and for season tix for a school that has done zilch is faulty thinking

The math would suggest that you are incorrect.

Reactions: TRU2RU
The math would suggest that you are incorrect.

do tell.....sure there is a loyal fanbase for scarlet and yellow but beyond that we see a major drop off. Purple lot for instance had plenty of empties this year. I realize you are all into it and the yellow is jumping but my walks through the blue lot on the way to the game indicate things are dropping off dramatically. Without results on the field there will be further erosion, do not act like we have not seen it this year, attendance for games was often inflated and brutal..and students are not showing up and they are leaving as well.

do tell.....sure there is a loyal fanbase for scarlet and yellow but beyond that we see a major drop off. Purple lot for instance had plenty of empties this year. I realize you are all into it and the yellow is jumping but my walks through the blue lot on the way to the game indicate things are dropping off dramatically. Without results on the field there will be further erosion, do not act like we have not seen it this year, attendance for games was often inflated and brutal..and students are not showing up and they are leaving as well.

Yeah but the point that you're making doesn't indict the premium lot pricing scheme. The fact that there's been a significant drop-off in the Purple lot isn't relevant.

I can't speak to the Blue lot, but the Yellow lot last year and the year before were as densely populated as ever.

I also call BS on the Nebraska parking which is thousands for prime sports surrounding the stadium.

I call BS on you.
I was at the last 2 RU games at Nebraska.
How many have you been to ?

Parked in the same Garage twice....same walk.

I call BS on you.

Goodie for you, I've been to 1 game in Nebraska and about 15 other away venues.

A parking garage is not Primo parking lol. You're seriously comparing that to the Yellow/Blue lot?

Reactions: ATIOH and TRU2RU
Goodie for you, I've been to 1 game in Nebraska and about 15 other away venues.

A parking garage is not Primo parking lol. You're seriously comparing that to the Yellow/Blue lot?
+1

That is more fruit to vegetable than apples to apples.

Last edited:
Yeah but the point that you're making doesn't indict the premium lot pricing scheme. The fact that there's been a significant drop-off in the Purple lot isn't relevant.

I can't speak to the Blue lot, but the Yellow lot last year and the year before were as densely populated as ever.
But truly full (like right up to the temp fence thing they put up by Campus Road)?

Not arguing, just asking.

Having been in the Blue Lot last year for a game or two, the area you call hamsterdam never looked fully populated to me.

parkingmap2016_knightingale.jpg

But truly full (like right up to the temp fence thing they put up by Campus Road)?

Not arguing, just asking.

Having been in the Blue Lot last year for a game or two, the area you call hamsterdam never looked fully populated to me.

parkingmap2016_knightingale.jpg

The Yellow lot has *never* been completely full, i.e. sold out to the road. And the same is true with the Hamsterdam field, which is one reason why I proposed the location in the first place.

Now, it's likely that the configuration of the Blue lot will change when they chop off the front end as part of the new facilities construction. But it's true, generally, that those two lots have never been sold to what you would think is their capacity.

The same is true with the White lot. They now call that "handicapped parking" in the PP/parking documentation, and as such it's always mostly empty on game day.

Scarlet and Green are more or less sold to capacity but the other stadium-adjacent lots are allocated to what appears to be some random level. I'm sure there's some kind of math that goes into it, but I have no idea what that is.

The Yellow lot has *never* been completely full, i.e. sold out to the road. And the same is true with the Hamsterdam field, which is one reason why I proposed the location in the first place.

Now, it's likely that the configuration of the Blue lot will change when they chop off the front end as part of the new facilities construction. But it's true, generally, that those two lots have never been sold to what you would think is their capacity.

The same is true with the White lot. They now call that "handicapped parking" in the PP/parking documentation, and as such it's always mostly empty on game day.

Scarlet and Green are more or less sold to capacity but the other stadium-adjacent lots are allocated to what appears to be some random level. I'm sure there's some kind of math that goes into it, but I have no idea what that is.
Right.

I think the Rutgers definition of full is different than yours and mine.

Still think the University Park area is the better spot for multiple reasons. Especially now with the Lacrosse/Soccer/Academic Support building going where it is. That part of Blue will be needed as that thing is built.

I call BS on you.

I have been to every away game since we joined the Big 10 & you are comparing private parking garages not near the stadium, to parking in the Scarlet or Green lots at RU. You are so out of touch with reality that you think these two subjects are comparable. In every Big 10 school that we have played, to park in a lot as close to the stadium as the Scarlet, Green or Yellow lots at RU, requires tens of thousands of dollar donations every year.

I'm a bit late to this thread. And while I get the point that one can buy a pretty decent big TV and maybe a quality sound bar for the price of around two tickets and a parking pass, I think its an exaggeration to say "top of the line", even factoring out these bad boys here. And if we're talking quality audio systems, they run even more than TVs.

My TV (far from the largest or the top of the line) was about four times more expensive than my two season tickets plus my cut of our parking passes. And my sound system is about three and a half times as expensive as that and barely qualifies as hi-fidelity.

Despite the cost of our season tickets and parking, I still think it's pretty low cost entertainment relative to all kinds of other things (pro sports, for example).

There are advantages to saying home, though. Comfort in all weather, multiple camera angles, game-day coverage, no wind to interfere with the hookers and blow.

I stand corrected the Michigan lot was at the Tennis Center and had to walk thru the Golf Course ( allows full parking) to get to the Stadium. Maybe a 20 minute walk...was $25 I think.

The walking distance from the Tennis Center to Michigan Stadium if you cut through the golf course is slightly longer than the distance from Rutgers Stadium to the UMDNJ lot (or 25% longer if you cut through the Rutgers golf course). You could park there for $20. So at Rutgers you can park 25% closer for less money.

Illinois is cheaper. The $20 lot at Illinois closest to the stadium is about the same distance as the Black lot at Rutgers. But the Black lot is only available for season parking, not game day parking, at a cost of $30 per game plus a $100 donation. To park at Rutgers without a donation for $20, requires you to park at the UMDNJ lot which is about a third of a mile further than the closest $20 lot at Illinois. If you walk at 3 miles per hour, that extra third of a mile will take you about 7 minutes.

The Michigan and Illinois parking prices I listed are from last year.

Reactions: S_Janowski

And more to the point, they only raised prices for the Scarlet, Green, and Yellow lots, where there is plenty of demand.

And I could make the argument that Rutgers actually needs to reduce the demand for these lots, especially Scarlet and Green, which are oversold, and require cars to be packed too close together for big games. Less demand would allow more tailgating room, improving the experience for those who pay the premium.

I think it's to be expected that it costs more to park in urban New Jersey than in a small town in Illinois, so none of these comparisons impress me, even assuming they're accurate.

I think it's to be expected that it costs more to park in urban New Jersey than in a small town in Illinois, so none of these comparisons impress me, even assuming they're accurate.
Champaign is a bigger than Piscataway.

And I never really considered Piscataway to be urban.

Simply too expensive for the product on the field. going to game costs as much as giants game unless u scalp

Champaign is a bigger than Piscataway.

And I never really considered Piscataway to be urban.

That's not the relevant comparison. Piscataway prices are affected by prices around the area, and Champaign prices are affected by being almost literally in the middle of nowhere.

I think all schools should do everything possible to promote game attendance for its students. Free entrance with your student ID. Free wifi. Some music that is not 40 frigging years old but rather something the kids like. Maybe a drone camera that flies above the student section showing the kids on TV whooping it up with their friends.

The students are the future alumni base. When enough of the alumni base no longer cares, it will be bye bye football.

Reactions: ATIOH
Yea you are right, lets screw over the people that can't afford tickets and dont let them watch on TV.
Or have other legitimate reasons for not going (I have 3 little kids who I hardly see during the week because I work long hours and they go to bed early. They’re too young to bring to the stadium so I’d rather make a big thing of it at home, where we can all watch the game together).

Reactions: rags
ADVERTISEMENT