ADVERTISEMENT

RU Prof Teaching Springsteen Course This Year...

Springsteen played at the Ledge (I think it was called) in one of the river dorms in ‘73 and/or ‘74. Maybe the student center too. There happened to be a Springsteen exhibit at the Rock n Roll hall of Fame a few years ago and it included posters on those events. So there’s a deeper connection to RU than what is mentioned in the interview.

Louis Masur - the professor - has written an excellent, very short (100 page) history of the Civil War if you’re by chance interested in a short primer on that subject.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
This class should be required your freshman year at Rutgers. It's the kind of thing that builds a relationship between the state, the alumni and the school.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Karma = your kid growing up and being a liberal arts major.
Not if she wants college paid for! :)
Seriously, she can do a dual degree program if she is really interested in a liberal arts subject, but it will be paired with something real.....engineering, math, science, business, pharmacy, etc. This is what I did, ChemE and History. And FYI, keep your kids away from any major that ends in the word "studies".

+1
Most liberal arts degrees are worthless.

Karma = your kid growing up and being a liberal arts major.

Not if she wants college paid for! :)
Seriously, she can do a dual degree program if she is really interested in a liberal arts subject, but it will be paired with something real.....engineering, math, science, business, pharmacy, etc. This is what I did, ChemE and History. And FYI, keep your kids away from any major that ends in the word "studies".

I wish RU were almost exclusively STEM...

History\Polysci major here, minoring in English, who entered senior year with a full time job offer in sales at the top company in my industry (technology).
My friends were English majors who are now in advertising and law school.
Polysci majors who are grant writers.

Two Rutgers liberal arts majors are the heads of two Smithsonian museums. (Chief curator and interim director.)

I know engineering majors who can't write, and comp sci majors who can't communicate.
What's important coming out college isn't necessarily your major. It's your degree, and the skills you earn, learn, and can express on a resume.

Should students not learn Environmental studies, and go to work at the EPA? Labor studies for HR? Urban studies to become administrators?

The arrogance rolling off of people who think there is only one way to success is nauseating.

History\Polysci major here, minoring in English, who entered senior year with a full time job offer in sales at the top company in my industry (technology).
My friends were English majors who are now in advertising and law school.
Polysci majors who are grant writers.

I know engineering majors who can't write, and comp sci majors who can't communicate.
What's important coming out college isn't necessarily your major. It's your degree, and the skills you earn, learn, and can express on a resume.

Should students not learn Environmental studies, and go to work at the EPA? Labor studies for HR? Urban studies to become administrators?

The arrogance rolling off of people who think there is only one way to success is nauseating.
Nice try, the data proves this wrong. Are there exceptions to the rule, of course. Some of the must successful people never even went to college. However, in aggregate, the facts are the facts.

Nice try, the data proves this wrong. Are there exceptions to the rule, of course. Some of the must successful people never even went to college. However, in aggregate, the facts are the facts.

The "data" also doesn't usually take into account the value of the degree, the institution, etc.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emsi/2...hat-useless-liberal-arts-degree/#3c390e3c41b8

No duh "facts are facts." Not everyone's a STEM person, and our society needs more respect for a well rounded education.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Would also love to know why this thread got moved here. It was intended to be more about Springsteen than academics, which is why I posted it on the football board for general interest, like all the other OT topics there.

Would also love to know why this thread got moved here. It was intended to be more about Springsteen than academics, which is why I posted it on the football board for general interest, like all the other OT topics there.
Poor guy, thread got moved.
crybaby.jpg

I liked your post as I agree with your general premise and don't side with the idea of STEM only.

Now I realize my anecdotal evidence is not any more meaningful than your anecdote I've quoted here. That said, there are many engineers and scientists who can write/communicate just as well as or even better than non-technical folks, even English or literature majors. It's a poor stereotype.

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Haven't you read the comments from our fellow posters? This is no longer a thread about Springsteen or the course; but rather a debate over the ridiculous idea that STEM is the only legitimate field of study. No doubt that is what motivated our moderators to move it to this board.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Haven't you read the comments from our fellow posters? This is no longer a thread about Springsteen or the course; but rather a debate over the ridiculous idea that STEM is the only legitimate field of study. No doubt that is what motivated our moderators to move it to this board.
:ThumbsUp
The-A-Team.jpg

As T just said, that was his plan. He gets some weird charge out of trolling, in general, but trolling my threads, in particular and to him, "success" is achieved when a thread gets political or academic and gets moved away from the football board. He's still trying to think of ways to get my weather threads moved, but he's been unsuccessful in that, as the mods simply ban him from those threads for trolling. So far. But he won't stop trying. It's kind of pathetic really, especially for a guy who's otherwise somewhat successful in his job and in politics - and kind of dumb, since employers can easily track what people say on-line, if so inclined.

As T just said, that was his plan. He gets some weird charge out of trolling, in general, but trolling my threads, in particular and to him, "success" is achieved when a thread gets political or academic and gets moved away from the football board. He's still trying to think of ways to get my weather threads moved, but he's been unsuccessful in that, as the mods simply ban him from those threads for trolling. So far. But he won't stop trying. It's kind of pathetic really, especially for a guy who's otherwise somewhat successful in his job and in politics - and kind of dumb, since employers can easily track what people say on-line, if so inclined.
Gotta have a hobby. Skillet and AK don't post that often any more, so those targets are gone. But don't worry, my board time will diminish soon. Landed my first exec job. Are you retired yet?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT