ADVERTISEMENT

RU QBs: 13 completions to 9 different receivers

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
I think it’s significant, in a good way, that our young and mostly inexperienced QBs were able to find 9 different receivers for completions.

They didn’t have a Zay Flowers to throw to — a guy who can seemingly get open and get separation almost every play, and who a supposedly NFL-bound Jurkovic threw 10 completions to.

First game, on the road against a P5 opponent, I say our young signal-callers did all right.

Our QBs need to make the TE a primary target. When the run is working, whether traditional playaction or RPO, those passes to the TE down the middle make for very nice intermediate completions.
Agreed. I’m thinking we’ll see more of that as the season progresses.

is a stretch...only positives from the passing game are that no one got hurt and some game experience for both QBs. Luckily the run game saved the day in crunch time.

Doesn’t matter to anything how many different receivers

Once Gavin gets his arm under control, we will have a weapon. Until then, it’s going to be growing pains.

Reactions: eddynyse
Need to just let Gavin play, be a run heavy team and run the read option.

Occasionally give him some opportunities to throw, but keep it on the ground.

If opposing teams stack the box he’s a good enough athlete to make a play in the air to loosen things up.

Reactions: socaldave and SBP
is a stretch...only positives from the passing game are that no one got hurt and some game experience for both QBs. Luckily the run game saved the day in crunch time.

Agree that the number of different receivers is irrelevant other than to point out we don’t have the one go-to guy that makes BC’s QB look better than he is.

There are other reasons for optimism.

1) whether folks like it or not, veteran super senior Noah (healthy) was going to be the starter and gave us the best chance to win. He didn’t play and we still won. He may not have the long range gun that our fans want to see out of a QB but he sees the shorter routes better than the younger guys.

2) We were missing multiple position players who play an important role blocking for us in defensive pass schemes (Aaron Young’s absence was big in this respect). It wasn’t the OL itself failing to protect - it was pocket holes which will hopefully improve when we get our veteran guys back.

3) if you don’t buy 2 - the stats sort of affirm the reason for optimism. They only had 2 QB hurries and 3 sacks. We had 8 QB hurries and 4 sacks on them for perspective and at times it seemed like they had all day to throw.

3) we played 2 young guys at QB with limited experience and still only turned it over once.

Reactions: BillyC80
I think 9 different receivers is a good sign (it certainly ain’t a bad sign). I mean if the opposite were true (eg 12 of the 13 receptions went to one guy y’all would be bitching)

There are other reasons for optimism.

1) whether folks like it or not, veteran super senior Noah (healthy) was going to be the starter and gave us the best chance to win. He didn’t play and we still won. He may not have the long range gun that our fans want to see out of a QB but he sees the shorter routes better than the younger guys.

2) We were missing multiple position players who play an important role blocking for us in defensive pass schemes (Aaron Young’s absence was big in this respect). It wasn’t the OL itself failing to protect - it was pocket holes which will hopefully improve when we get our veteran guys back.

3) if you don’t buy 2 - the stats sort of affirm the reason for optimism. They only had 2 QB hurries and 3 sacks. We had 8 QB hurries and 4 sacks on them for perspective and at times it seemed like they had all day to throw.

3) we played 2 young guys at QB with limited experience and still only turned it over once.
Spot on…
I was thinking the same thing- I have gotten used to Pa always picking up a blitz but I am not sure I saw a RB make a block all game.
also thing Vedral may have scored more points but glad the kids played and we won.
The defensive stats- 8 hurries 4 sacks- becomes so much more impressive when you also realize we stuffed the run so well too.

I rewatched the game- and 2nd time through, started to realize we actually dominated most of the game. It was penalties that had given BC the lead but they never seemed to be the team in control.

Watched the game.

Rutgers D played well. Aggressive front line and what was somewhat surprising was the play of the secondary in being in position most of the time to cover BC wide receivers. Rutgers will need to score more points per game so passing the ball around to multiple receivers is good news.
I personally don't like a rotational QB situation but see how that goes.

Impact of an NIL player on a team.

I don't follow Jorden Addison anymore since he left Pitt but apparently some of our Board members do and posted the following.

USC vs Rice game results:

Washington: 4 catches for 65 yds
Addison: 5 catches for54 yds.

PITT vs WVU game results:

Wayne: 3 catches for 89 yds.
Mumpfield: 5 catches for 71 yds
Hammond: 2 catches for 55 yds.

The ultimate effect of NIL remains to be seen going forward.

The Nielsen ratings came out for the PITT vs WVU game and the game had a rating of 3.15 million viewers.

Well we have another tough game with Tennessee (Top 25) this week at (Heinz) so see how that goes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: goru7 and RU#1fan
Need to just let Gavin play, be a run heavy team and run the read option. . . .
The more he runs, the greater his chances of injury, particularly in the B1G. It’s great to have a QB who can also run, but when he’s mainly running, injuries show up.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Our QBs need to make the TE a primary target. When the run is working, whether traditional playaction or RPO, those passes to the TE down the middle make for very nice intermediate completions.

This seems like the same stinking mantra we (including me) say every year, and it doesnt happen much. It's a simple and effective strategy the we RARELY use. Drag the tall, wide bodied TE across the field with a hopefully slower, isolated LB following/or smaller DB if the TE is split. Advantage, tight end. Seems pretty easy, right? I'd like to see much more of this.

Watched the game.

Rutgers D played well. Aggressive front line and what was somewhat surprising was the play of the secondary in being in position most of the time to cover BC wide receivers. Rutgers will need to score more points per game so passing the ball around to multiple receivers is good news.
I personally don't like a rotational QB situation but see how that goes.

Impact of an NIL player on a team.

I don't follow Jorden Addison anymore since he left Pitt but apparently some of our Board members do and posted the following.

USC vs Rice game results:

Washington: 4 catches for 65 yds
Addison: 5 catches for54 yds.

PITT vs WVU game results:

Wayne: 3 catches for 89 yds.
Mumpfield: 5 catches for 71 yds
Hammond: 2 catches for 55 yds.

The ultimate effect of NIL remains to be seen going forward.

The Nielsen ratings came out for the PITT vs WVU game and the game had a rating of 3.15 million viewers.

Well we have another tough game with Tennessee (Top 25) this week at (Heinz) so see how that goes.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Take Tennessee to the woodshed.

Our QBs need to make the TE a primary target. When the run is working, whether traditional playaction or RPO, those passes to the TE down the middle make for very nice intermediate completio
More Difficult for a short QB (Vedral) to see and target intermediate routes over the middle. Also an overthrow INT risk.

This isn’t in Schiano’s play list.

I was thinking the same exact thing in the Stadium on Saturday.
He might been on the field for what 5 plays?
Looks to be correct.
Only 22 passing attempts, with Langan, Cruickshank, Konopka, and the RBs favored. Sean Ryan got a couple/few too. But the pass protection was not great.

Looks to be correct.
Only 22 passing attempts, with Langan, Cruickshank, Konopka, and the RBs favored. Sean Ryan got a couple/few too. But the pass protection was not great.
GS won’t crap publicly on the young RBs. They played great in the run game. The film is going to show that the blocking from RBs and other position players was horrific on the pass plays. I bet cleaning that up is a major focus in the coming weeks. Folks can say what they want about Schiano’s shortcomings in coaching offense. For better or worse, he always favored the pro style because of the use of full backs for blocking. He expects position players to block. For once - the biggest issues seem like they could be fixable. We’ll see.

BC was a dink and dunk passing game (5yd average) so maybe Harris was more of downfield guy in the passing tree.
Announcers said Wimsatt isn't dialed-in yet for long passing game and that coaches are working with him on that

Last edited:
BC was a dink and dunk passing game (5yd average) so maybe Harris was more of downfield guy in the passing tree.
Announcers said Wimsatt isn't dialed-in yet for long passing game and that coaches are working with him on that
Yes.. we will definitely need a downfield passing game (threat) when we get into B1G play. Hopefully Wimsatt can improve on his accuracy.
The RB pass blocking should improve dramatically when Young returns.

The more he runs, the greater his chances of injury, particularly in the B1G. It’s great to have a QB who can also run, but when he’s mainly running, injuries show up.
The more he drops back the more he increases of injury.

We don’t need him to run, we need him to be a threat to run. Look at the big run plays we had. They happened because the defender hesitated and bit on Gavin’s fake for a half second.

Yes.. we will definitely need a downfield passing game (threat) when we get into B1G play. Hopefully Wimsatt can improve on his accuracy.
The RB pass blocking should improve dramatically when Young returns.
My eyes may need checking, and even putting aside the INT, Simon seems to be the more accurate passer. And he has legs too. Not saying he should get the job. What would be nice to see is each of them get a half against Wagner, uninterrupted to see how the offense runs with each of them. The only downside of that plan is that the guy who gets the second half will be at an advantage because Wagner will likely be worn down. They could alternate quarters too. I don't see how they get into a flow with the constant shuffling of QBs on sets of downs and between downs, but I don't know squat, and I will shut up now.

The more he drops back the more he increases of injury.

We don’t need him to run, we need him to be a threat to run. Look at the big run plays we had. They happened because the defender hesitated and bit on Gavin’s fake for a half second.
Just because dropping back to pass and running each bring risks of injury doesn’t make them the same risk. That’s not what you’re arguing, is it?

The argument that we don’t need him to run, just the threat of him running, doesn’t work either. If he doesn’t run, it soon ceases to be a threat that the defense will account for.

All of which is a roundabout way of restating the obvious. If we use him to mostly run until his skill in the passing game increases, we will be placing him at a greater risk of injury. Most things in life come at a cost, and that’s the cost. And boy what this board will look like if he gets hurt.

Just because dropping back to pass and running each bring risks of injury doesn’t make them the same risk. That’s not what you’re arguing, is it?

The argument that we don’t need him to run, just the threat of him running, doesn’t work either. If he doesn’t run, it soon ceases to be a threat that the defense will account for.

All of which is a roundabout way of restating the obvious. If we use him to mostly run until his skill in the passing game increases, we will be placing him at a greater risk of injury. Most things in life come at a cost, and that’s the cost. And boy what this board will look like if he gets hurt.
No my point is that it’s football. Every time he touches the ball is a risk of injury.

Pat White ran on essentially every other play and was fine.

You can’t gameplan because you’re afraid someone MIGHT get injured

On the incompletion Wimsatt had during the final drive, he missed AC who was wide open, but also look at the WR (I believe Ryan) who was turning upfield and also wide open for a huge gain if completed. He needs to improve both his accuracy and his vision downfield.

No my point is that it’s football. Every time he touches the ball is a risk of injury.

Pat White ran on essentially every other play and was fine.

You can’t gameplan because you’re afraid someone MIGHT get injured

Pointing out that everything in football has risks of injury is no argument at all, as is pointing to certain guys who didn’t get hurt while excluding those who did. Ask Robert Griffin III how running so much worked for him.

And you certainly CAN gameplan to reduce risk of injury to your QB. Coaches do it all the time.

Coach RUT would not. That’s fine, and it’s easy from the internet. But the point remains that if we go with essentially a run option offense with Wimsatt his risk of injury will increase markedly.

Pointing out that everything in football has risks of injury is no argument at all, as is pointing to certain guys who didn’t get hurt while excluding those who did. Ask Robert Griffin III how running so much worked for him.

And you certainly CAN gameplan to reduce risk of injury to your QB. Coaches do it all the time.

Coach RUT would not. That’s fine, and it’s easy from the internet. But the point remains that if we go with essentially a run option offense with Wimsatt his risk of injury will increase markedly.
How did it work out for RG3? He won the heisman…

Then he got hurt in the NFL.

Gavin would be fine. Without those read options we lose that game, period.

OLine blocked well, backs ran well, but Gavin as a run threat is the reason it all worked.

Go watch the tape.

If GW can run on certain plays where it’s his best option to help us win games, then he should run.

There are different styles of running QB
A QB in a spread offense scooting up-field through open space (like WV's Pat White) might be safer than a pocket passer with a bad OL who is taking a half dozen blind side hits per game (see Tom Savage).
Then the running QB needs to know how to slide and avoid big hits.
RG3 was the worst QB I ever saw at sliding and taking hits
If RG3 had a defender around his legs he would keep standing erect like a totem pole until he got blasted - he broke his knee without contact - just tripped over his own legs.
Wimsatt can run in space I think - might not send him up the middle like Sanu in Wildcat
Avoiding sideline hits are also key - lots of careers ended with sideline hits)

Last edited:
There are different styles of running QB
A QB in a spread offense scooting up-field through open space might (Pat White) be safer than a pocket passer with a bad OL who is taking a half dozen blind side hits (see Tom Savage).
Then the running QB needs to know how to slide and avoid big hits.
RG3 was the worst QB I ever saw at sliding and taking hits
If RG3 had a defender around his legs he would keep standing erect like a totem pole until he got blasted - he broke his knee without contact - just tripped over his own legs.
Wimsatt can run in space I think - might not send him up the middle like Sanu in Wildcat
Avoiding sideline hits are also key - lots of careers ended with sideline hits)
There are definitely ways to minimize the increased risk once you’ve chosen to implement a running QB offense.

How did it work out for RG3? He won the heisman…

Then he got hurt in the NFL.

Gavin would be fine. Without those read options we lose that game, period.

OLine blocked well, backs ran well, but Gavin as a run threat is the reason it all worked.

Go watch the tape.
I don’t have to rewatch the game to know that implementing an offense with a running QB will increase the risk of injury to the QB. Nor do you. I mean, you’re not really even denying that your approach will increase Wimsatt’s risk of injury. Right?

This is all without even addressing how implementing that offense won’t allow him to develop his passing game and is essentially a concession that he’s not the QB that we thought he was when we recruited him. Or that it won’t work against good B1G teams. Or teams whose defenses won’t tire as easily.

All after one game.

I don’t have to rewatch the game to know that implementing an offense with a running QB will increase the risk of injury to the QB. Nor do you. I mean, you’re not really even denying that your approach will increase Wimsatt’s risk of injury. Right?

This is all without even addressing how implementing that offense won’t allow him to develop his passing game and is essentially a concession that he’s not the QB that we thought he was when we recruited him. Or that it won’t work against good B1G teams. Or teams whose defenses won’t tire as easily.

All after one game.
I’m simply saying IMO the juice is worth the squeeze. The increased risk is worth the odds of becoming bowl eligible.

You can still run basic pass plays to keep the defense honest bro. You don’t need to be Army on offense.

I’m simply saying the team very clearly and obviously had the most success offensively running the read option. That success came from Gavin being a threat to run.

Not running that offense is not giving your team the best chance to win.

Reactions: ScarletKnight81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT