ADVERTISEMENT

RU QBs: 13 completions to 9 different receivers

This seems like the same stinking mantra we (including me) say every year, and it doesnt happen much. It's a simple and effective strategy the we RARELY use. Drag the tall, wide bodied TE across the field with a hopefully slower, isolated LB following/or smaller DB if the TE is split. Advantage, tight end. Seems pretty easy, right? I'd like to see much more of this.
That's all well and good unless you're the TE getting drilled after the catch on a regular basis by a full speed safety. Those plays are for when you really need that ten yds. Not a sustainable offensive strategy long term.
When I was coaching and we would play a team that ran option I would always say to the opposing coach " you guys run the option? You must have a bunch of QBs". When they looked at me puzzled I would say " your gonna need 'em playin' us" 😂😂😂
Most found out the hard way.

My eyes may need checking, and even putting aside the INT, Simon seems to be the more accurate passer. And he has legs too. Not saying he should get the job. What would be nice to see is each of them get a half against Wagner, uninterrupted to see how the offense runs with each of them. The only downside of that plan is that the guy who gets the second half will be at an advantage because Wagner will likely be worn down. They could alternate quarters too. I don't see how they get into a flow with the constant shuffling of QBs on sets of downs and between downs, but I don't know squat, and I will shut up now.
I've mentioned Simon after the spring game as the guy to watch at the QB position. This past Thursday, in a group chat, a few guys thought Simon gave us the best chance to win. He seems calm and collected. Simon's decision-making is solid, and he provides the team with a threat to throw downfield with more zip than Vedral. Wimsatt has the same tools, but he's not there right now.

If there is one thing I wish Rutgers did a little different on Saturday is give each QB more than a few snaps before switching out guys. Allow the QB to get into a rhythm. Let Wimsatt or Simon go two series before being replaced.

On the incompletion Wimsatt had during the final drive, he missed AC who was wide open, but also look at the WR (I believe Ryan) who was turning upfield and also wide open for a huge gain if completed. He needs to improve both his accuracy and his vision downfield.

If we don't win, that is the #1 play everyone is talking about.
Wimsatt got bailed out big time.
Luckily the team picked up for him.

Hopefully a good learning moment going forward.
This is why young players need to play and pass the ball.
Work through these issues.

I’m simply saying IMO the juice is worth the squeeze. The increased risk is worth the odds of becoming bowl eligible.
. . .
Well, we agree on the increased risk.

From my point of view, we haven't seen enough to make this conclusion, particularly when the biggest piece of evidence is one incredible drive against a tired defense. It's something, but not a basis to change your whole offense. To the contrary, I bet they are throwing against Wagner and probably Temple. And then when we get to the B1G schedule, the view may be different. Either way, a run-only or run-focused offense may very well get stuffed by decent B1G teams.

Let's play a few more games before changing the offense in reaction to a late-game drive.

Reactions: The RUT
The jury is still out on the passing game. The only truly good possession the offense had was almost entirely rushing.

Good news bad news- bad- more you have GW run, more likely hurt... Good news- We now have two other guys that can play D1 football.

We need GW to start next week and go full Gleeson where in the first half- he throws the ball 10+ times and runs the ball 8 + times.
Let's see what he has.
If, he gets hurt- and not wishing it...we do have Simon and maybe Vedral- it isn't like we lost our starter. But, it may also prove we have a starter.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Neither one is going to develop sharing time. Need to pick one by the time we play Iowa. Lots of college QBs are run first guys, not many pros. We’d be doing GW a favor to develop him as a throw first guy, but it may not be in the team’s best (albeit short term) interest.

• Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
Neither one is going to develop sharing time. Need to pick one by the time we play Iowa. Lots of college QBs are run first guys, not many pros. We’d be doing GW a favor to develop him as a throw first guy, but it may not be in the team’s best (albeit short term) interest.
Hahaha. I literally wrote this exact same post at the exact same time.

Post in thread 'What we learned from the first game' https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/what-we-learned-from-the-first-game.246159/post-5846948

Our passing game will improve dramatically when opponents need to bring more than 3 and 4 rushers to pressure our QB.

If we don't win, that is the #1 play everyone is talking about.
Wimsatt got bailed out big time.
Luckily the team picked up for him.

Hopefully a good learning moment going forward.
This is why young players need to play and pass the ball.
Work through these issues.
Learning moment is a good way to put it. Gotta believe that Gavin will be studying the game film (as every player should) but especially that play, where he will see more clearly how it developed. Looked like he rushed the throw a bit there.

UNPROVEN... whether YOU like it or not.
Sure - ok. Whatever you say. If you want to believe he wasn’t going to to start Saturday if healthy, so be it. Based on how the game was called it was obvious that was the original plan that was then adapted.

As for the second part, let me rephrase - the staff believed starting him would’ve given us the best chance to win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT