ADVERTISEMENT

RU Ranked #41 In World In CWUR 2018-19

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
http://cwur.org/2018-19.php

#28th in the US, and 7th in the B1G, just one spot behind OSU and ahead of PSU, Maryland, and Pitt. Well ahead of the Second Tier Northeast Publics like UConn, Temple, Delaware and SUNY Stony Brook. I actually think RU is academically ranked highest for Northeast Public Universities this year.

Last edited:
Good news for RU always welcome.

Surprised for a research-oriented and international ranking to see Carnegie Mellon so low at 91...seems rather low but may be driven by some factors of the methodology. Brown and Vanderbilt are on the lower side, as is UVa. Of course, those three aren't really top powerhouse research schools yet they obviously are no slouches either. So none of them are really surprising to me as compared to CMU.

Refresh my memory, didn't Saquon decommit because he said PSU was academically superior to RU? Guess he didn't do too well on the Wonderlic.

Glad to see RU high but Carnegie Mellon is one of the most prestigious schools in the country. So must be some odd weightings. That schools acceptance rate is under 20% and has some of the highest standardized test scores.

I moved to Pitt and CMU drives the tech economy out here. Hundreds of robotics companies and very technical computer science offices for Apple, amazon and google.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Glad to see RU high but Carnegie Mellon is one of the most prestigious schools in the country. So must be some odd weightings. That schools acceptance rate is under 20% and has some of the highest standardized test scores.

I moved to Pitt and CMU drives the tech economy out here. Hundreds of robotics companies and very technical computer science offices for Apple, amazon and google.
Agreed 100% that CMU is one of the better schools in the Country. But IMO the acceptance rate percentage is a ranking factor that can be played with. Perfect example would be College of NJ ( Trenton State). They made a decision to greatly reduce the number of students accepted even though they had the space to accommodate them. By doing this their acceptance rate dropped and the public as a whole and some ranking services all of sudden thought "what a great school".

I am not saying CMU did this or needs to do this. If RU made a decision to drop their acceptance numbers by let's say 25% you would see our rankings skyrocket. RU of course will never do that because of the need for every penny possible. But those last 25 % accepted of course will have lower SAT scores. That would also bring our rankings up.

Most parents in this day and age look at USNRW rankings and first two things they look at our acceptance rate and avg SAT scores to decide how "elite" a school is.

Quality of Education rank is 212?!? Yuck. Great overall though!

Eh PSU is 374. I'm not really sure the metric used to measure quality of education anyway.

Here's the methodology, with RU's score's at the end. Some of these are kind of wonky. Like, Alumni employment based on CEO positions relative to size? That's kind of random. Same with Quality of education imho.

::: METHODOLOGY :::

1) Quality of Education, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals relative to the university's size (15%) (212)
2) Alumni Employment, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have held CEO positions at the world's top companies relative to the university's size (15%) (101)
3) Quality of Faculty, measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals (15%) (35)
4) Research Output, measured by the the total number of research papers (15%) (74)
5) Quality Publications, measured by the number of research papers appearing in top-tier journals (15%) (67)
6) Influence, measured by the number of research papers appearing in highly-influential journals (15%) (62)
7) Citations, measured by the number of highly-cited research papers (10%) (59)

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Refresh my memory, didn't Saquon decommit because he said PSU was academically superior to RU? Guess he didn't do too well on the Wonderlic.

Now come on, you know other rankings have them higher than us. (As if he needed an academic reason.)

I am not going to crow about one set of rankings and disparage another set, because all of them use at least a couple of metrics that have very little to do with quality of education. But I'll take the publicity any day.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
ADVERTISEMENT