ADVERTISEMENT

RU Softball opens BIG 10 Tourny Today 7pm vs Purdue, BTN TV :

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
The Red Hot RU Softball teams opens Big10 Tournament play tonight approx. 7pm ! The 6th seed RU team faces 11 seed Purdue (losers of 9 straight). RU open Big 10 play by losing 8 of it's first 9 games, but then turned it around finishing 11-4 over the 15 games. RU led by Senior Jess Hughes, and All BIG10 Freshman Big10 Home Run leader Katie Wingert , Freshman pitcher Corah Price, and red hot Annysa Iliopoulos .

James Kratch of NJcom has a good article on the game and team today:

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/05/...l-going-make-noise-at-big-ten-tournament.html

Big 10 Softball Tournament Central site:

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2019/2/12/2019-big-ten-softball-tournament-central.aspx

Today's Schedule:

Thursday, May 9 - First Round
11 a.m. #12 Iowa vs. #5 Wisconsin | Live Stats
1:30 p.m. #9 Illinois vs. #8 Nebraska | Live Stats
4:30 p.m. #10 Penn State vs. #7 Indiana | Live Stats
7 p.m. #11 Purdue vs. #6 Rutgers | Live Stats

@RUSoftball
16m
16 minutes ago

More
Tarp is gone! Should be getting underway within the hour.

Stadium should be packed when first pitch is thrown around midnight, lol

Brutal start. The rain delay must've had a negative impact. Awesome catch by Moy to get that first out, then AWFUL base running by Purdue to get us out of the inning only giving up two. I thought that was a sure sac fly off the bat.

Okay, bats - let's get something started!

RU was down 2-0 going into bottom or 3rd

Then we scored 3 to take a 3-2 lead heading to top of 4.
Purdue changed pitchers during bottom of 3.

Bottom of 7

Still trailing 4-3

It is 12:57 am.
Why am I still up???

Too much Scarlet in my blood?

Final

Purdue 4
Rutgers 3

Bleh...

Good season
A lot of young players
Should have even more talent and experience next season.

Very disappointing end. Only higher seeded team to lose today. Will be a long trip home .

Can’t believe we only scored in the 3rd inning
Turned out to be a great pitching change by Purdue’s coach in that 3rd. Reliever gave up 0 the rest of the game.

We need some big girls on the mound. Some of those Sec pitchers look like they could play football.

Very disappointing end. Only higher seeded team to lose today. Will be a long trip home .
Purdue also ended a 9 game B1G losing streak ... RU is now 0-3 in B1G tourney all time ... still a great turnaround this season to get the 6th seed ... would have been great to get that first win, but now it’s time to move on, get into the NIT, and gain more experience for next year!

Have any of our teams won a B1G or NCAA tourney game this year? Cant recall a win. Not counting individual wins like wrestling.

Have any of our teams won a B1G or NCAA tourney game this year? Cant recall a win. Not counting individual wins like wrestling.

Getting into this tournament has got to be worth something, at least. Not every B1G team did...

Reactions: LC-88
Final

Purdue 4
Rutgers 3

Bleh...

Good season
A lot of young players
Should have even more talent and experience next season.

Good season. Team went from 4-16 in conference last year to 11-12 in conference this year.

I'm sure they'd like to have that game back. It was a strange one with a very odd call in the first inning on the double / missed base and the lengthy rain delay. Hopefully they turn this into a building block for next year.

Reactions: Abro1975
Women’s basketball won a B1G quarterfinal game and lost in semis to Iowa.

Rough year in general though. Even W Soccer lost in the upset in their first tournament game. Field hockey lost in double OT. And now a tough softball loss. The 19-20 season promises to be better in a lot of sports.

*Not a tournament, but Women's rowing still upcoming on May 19. The Big Ten is loaded in this sport but Rutgers is holding their own this year.

We had a better season this year but losing to a team on a 9 game losing streak and looking listless at the plate for 6 innings is a big disappointment.

Season over?

Yes, they needed to win 1 or 2 to have a shot at an At Large bid to the NCAA tourney. This is a single elimination tournament. Tough loss. Our freshman Ace pitcher came out shaky, and out top 4 hitters didn't get it done. Good recruiting class coming in, along with some terrific freshmen. Replacing Hughes and the other starting pitcher will be key.

Yes, they needed to win 1 or 2 to have a shot at an At Large bid to the NCAA tourney. This is a single elimination tournament. Tough loss. Our freshman Ace pitcher came out shaky, and out top 4 hitters didn't get it done. Good recruiting class coming in, along with some terrific freshmen. Replacing Hughes and the other starting pitcher will be key.
There is an NIT ...

The NCAA Softball Tournament Selection show is tonight at 9pm on ESPN. RU probably misses out by 2 or 3 wins.

I noticed this on the RU Softball Twitter page:

#RUSB will await a selection to the National Invitational Softball Championship next week.

The NCAA Softball Tournament Selection show is tonight at 9pm on ESPN. RU probably misses out by 2 or 3 wins.

I noticed this on the RU Softball Twitter page:

#RUSB will await a selection to the National Invitational Softball Championship next week.
RU Softball is in the NIT. Playing a round robin regional at Liberty starting Thursday.

Reactions: RUTrack94

I'm stunned that softball is a 1-and-done tourney.

I'm stunned that softball is a 1-and-done tourney.

Why ? I'm pretty sure most, if not all conferences do it that way. If a high seed gets knocked off they still can get an At Large Bid. Heck , the SEC got every team in. And the PAC 12 doesn't even bother with a Conference tourney, I think.

For the NCAA D1 Championship tournaments, Softball and Baseball is still double elimination.

Last edited:
Why ? I'm pretty sure most, if not all conferences do it that way. If a high seed gets knocked off they still can get an At Large Bid. Heck , the SEC got every team in.
Same with baseball. And basketball, and soccer, and LAX.

For the NCAA D1 tournaments, Softball and Baseball is still double elimination.

Why not? Baseball is, softball should be as well, stupid IMHO.

Why not? Baseball is, softball should be as well, stupid IMHO.

You're right, Big 10 Baseball tourney is double elimination. Only thing I can think of is Baseball is only 8 teams while Softball Tourney is 12.

Crazy to delay the game that long & then play that late. Had to have affected our kids.

Why would it not affect their kids? Silly.
Maybe it did. Silly? You wait more than 4 hrs & start a game near midnight & call that normal & not having an effect on a young club that has just traveled half way across the continent? Now that's silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT