ADVERTISEMENT

RU Vaccine requirement and recruits

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Curious what impact the vaccine requirement for next year at RU will have on recruits.

I don’t want a debate about the requirement (there’s a thread on that)...but obviously there’s gonna be kids skeptical about the vaccine.

Will this impact the recruits who wanna sign here? I’d assume it will and will put RU at a slight disadvantage in recruiting. Or maybe it will help?

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Curious what impact the vaccine requirement for next year at RU will have on recruits.

I don’t want a debate about the requirement (there’s a thread on that)...but obviously there’s gonna be kids skeptical about the vaccine.

Will this impact the recruits who wanna sign here? I’d assume it will and will put RU at a slight disadvantage in recruiting. Or maybe it will help?
If anything it may be an advantage, coach can tell parents their kids will be safe

Reactions: retired711
I’d assume it would be pretty seamless for athletes since I’m guessing they have to go through some kind of physical exam.

I’d assume it would be pretty seamless for athletes since I’m guessing they have to go through some kind of physical exam.

Are you saying the physical exam at RU will now include a vaccine shot? Again if a recruit doesn’t want the shot...we’re at a disadvantage, no?

No, because I'll be surprised if many to most universities don't follow suit. Do you think Holloway did this without consulting with other University Presidents? If he didn't, that would be just plain stupid and he's not a stupid man.

No, because I'll be surprised if many to most universities don't follow suit. Do you think Holloway did this without consulting with other University Presidents? If he didn't, that would be just plain stupid and he's not a stupid man.

I think many smart people throughout the pandemic have made dumb decisions based upon plain emotion, fear, or just flat out power.

I’d hope he consulted with many many people.

Holloway certainly wasnt on the leading edge of having them playing sports this fall and even recently continuing to criticize what they did in other parts of the country...ignoring reality

I see it like the other vaccines you have to get to be a resident on campus. Just part of the process and a step to keep the college community safe

I see it like the other vaccines you have to get to be a resident on campus. Just part of the process and a step to keep the college community safe
But that community is not just the students.

When Rutgers or New Jersey follows the lead of another college or state, the complainers complain that we are late with the decision. When we are the first to make the decision, the complainers criticize the decision that many colleges will follow.

If we were in agreement, the thread wouldn’t exist.

The more people vaccinated the more life comes back to normal. That’s why

At what cost? It is still experimental. No one knows the long term effects. These kids are resilient with strong immune systems.
They don’t need a vaccine.

At what cost? It is still experimental. No one knows the long term effects. These kids are resilient with strong immune systems.

No one knows the long term effects of covid, either. I don’t care if someone doesn’t want the vaccine.. I just answered your question.

Like it or not, to get out of this hell the world has been in for over a year..vaccines are the answer. And that’s why people should get them..to answer your question.

easy.
If Rutgers or any school requires being vaccinated as a requirement to attend school , the recruit has a choice of being vaccinated or finding a school that doesn't require its students to be vaccinated.

Also we might see recruits eliminate schools that don't require vaccination as one of its attendance requirements.
Some recruits might not think it's a good idea to be around those that aren't vaccinated while they are in class and/or just out and about around campus..

There are schools that require other vaccinations besides the Covid 19 one and those vaccine policies have been around for years at various schools..
It might have happened, but I don't remember hearing about a top recruit saying he wouldn't go to a school because he didn't want to follow their vaccination health requirement to attend that school.

No one knows the long term effects of covid, either. I don’t care if someone doesn’t want the vaccine.. I just answered your question.

Like it or not, to get out of this hell the world has been in for over a year..vaccines are the answer. And that’s why people should get them..to answer your question.
“ You don’t care” sounds like where in 1934 Germany here. Kids with strong immune systems don’t need the COVID vaccine. What’s next? Are they going to give them to school kids?

“ You don’t care” sounds like where in 1934 Germany here. Kids with strong immune systems don’t need the COVID vaccine. What’s next? Are they going to give them to school kids?

I agree. Healthy people don’t NEED it. Totally different argument. You asked why would someone 17-18 want to get it and I answered. They want life to be normal again

Even if getting the vaccine isn't mandatory at some schools, I would suspect that at schools like Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, Ohio State, etc., it will be *highly encouraged*, aka essentially mandatory, that all football players, and potentially other athletes as well, get the vaccine, if nothing else, to prevent anything from getting in the way of preparing for the season and playing games next school year.

Reactions: mikemarc1
Even if getting the vaccine isn't mandatory at some schools, I would suspect that at schools like Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, Ohio State, etc., it will be *highly encouraged*, aka essentially mandatory, that all football players, and potentially other athletes as well, get the vaccine, if nothing else, to prevent anything from getting in the way of preparing for the season and playing games next school year.

Yup. NFL just announced they’re not requiring it but highly encouraging it for their players. Nothing at all wrong with this and should have been the thinking at RU. Then again the more vaxed, the more normal. So i don’t really have issue with RU decision.

I agree. Healthy people don’t NEED it. Totally different argument. You asked why would someone 17-18 want to get it and I answered. They want life to be normal again
I don’t want to debate you here ( just re read your original post). I think if a vaccine is mandatory here and a player is adamant they dont want it.they will go somewhere else.

Are you saying the physical exam at RU will now include a vaccine shot? Again if a recruit doesn’t want the shot...we’re at a disadvantage, no?
You are correct with you last word. No! Not a disadvantage.

There are no "long-term" side effects, so far, as we're already into the "long-term" when it comes to vaccines (9 months) and, like every other vaccine the likelihood of long-term effects is extraordinariliy low.

And while college age students are at much lower risk from COVID than older people, they're still at significantly greater risk of death from COVID than from flu (about 8X the number of 15-24 year olds die from COVID vs. flu and this ratio is about 20X for people over 45), plus young people are still significant vectors for spreading COVID to more vulnerable people and while we hopefully will have most people over 45 vaccinated by mid-summer, we know some are simply not going to get vaccinated and will still be at great risk from COVID.

The other consideration is that the risk of the vaccine is essentially nil, like we've seen for every other vaccine for decades. The risk of a serious side effect is less than 1 in 1MM and there is no risk of death from vaccination, whereas the risk of death for those 15-24 from COVID is 800 in roughly 13MM infected so far (about 1/3 of the 41MM people from 15-24), which is about 62 in 1MM, far greater than the risk of a serious side effect, and the risk of serious illness is about 3-4X that or about 180-250 per 1MM, again far greater than the risk of a serious side effect. For all these reasons, I fully support college students getting vaccinated.

Everything goes into the decision. It is not the recruits per say it is the mom's or parents. Not every person much less community is sold on the vaccine. Depends on the person as to whether it is a positive or negative. Notice any bad news today, timing suspect to me.

Yes, this is exactly like 1934 Germany. If only they hadn’t injected Mein Kampf into the Hitler Youth then WWII could have been averted.

I guess it is possible that a potential recruit might not want to be vaccinated, although I think that's very unlikely. And I think most schools will follow Rutgers' lead. But a kid who doesn't want to be vaccinated is obviously delusional (like some posters here), and I would not be interested in having the kid at Rutgers - far from it.

ADVERTISEMENT