ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Duke 12/1 Game Thread

Wasn't there, just following scores on my phone. Judging by the score, I imagine no one in attendance felt much like posting.
I'm still very interested to know where this team is lacking. Is it that we can't control the paint on either end, don't have shooters, are just not the typical CVS defensive team, etc. I'm guessing that it's multiple deficiencies, but again haven't seen this team live yet.

she needs to pack her bags... sorry but waiting for 1000 wins isnt enough reason to let another RU program suffer.

Womens hoops has died on the vine. Rutgers is a laughingstock right now...34 points 32 the next....but oh recruiting is going to pick up

She needs to go gracefully or fired..her choice

Recruiting deteriorated after Carlene left. Still have to be able to develop the players further once they get here, but we took a big step backward without her leading the charge.

Reactions: dmd78 and marsman
Recruiting deteriorated after Carlene left. Still have to be able to develop the players further once they get here, but we took a big step backward without her leading the charge.

That has always been another CVS weakness.

She has never been good at developing players offensive skills.

She use to be successful due to 2 things: Her defensive coaching/development and her recruiting.

First her defensive coaching deteriorated, Then when her recruiting collapsed....the end was upon RU.

I can't believe how bad this team is.
Or how dead this board is.
Did she suddenly forget how to coach ? Or recruit ?
And what in the world can reverse such a steep. steep decline ?

Here is what I saw. I saw a young team with no superstars who never gave up. I saw 18-20 year old young people who gave their all! No defense? They held Duke to one of their lowest scores all year. Before this game Duke's PPG was over 88 points per game. Are we going to win many games? No. Will we improve and give the fans hope, I believe YES! Go away trolls. Not fair, but I just have to ask, "how's your football team doing?"

Reactions: MADHAT1
Here is what I saw. I saw a young team with no superstars who never gave up. I saw 18-20 year old young people who gave their all! No defense? They held Duke to one of their lowest scores all year. Before this game Duke's PPG was over 88 points per game. Are we going to win many games? No. Will we improve and give the fans hope, I believe YES! Go away trolls. Not fair, but I just have to ask, "how's your football team doing?"
Don't assume that any poster here who questions the weaknesses of the team to be a visitor from the football board (if that's what you meant). What I'm seeing from a lot of regular posters is just frustration at the current state of the program.
As for your football comment, isn't it collectively "our" football team?........and yes, what a terrible season, but I need to see another one to form my opinion.
Great momentum (finally) with MBB, and high level performance from wrestling. Just need to get WBB rolling again.

Reactions: Kbee3

Please

Are you a Rutgers fan? Because if you are, it's your football team too

the womens team may finish with the same number as wins as the football team despite playing 20 more games

Are you a Rutgers fan? Because if you are, it's your football team too
Fair enough that it is "our" football team if you are a RU alumni. I am not a RU alumni but I enjoy watching and following the teams. I am particularly fond of women's basketball. My comment is meant for those who are only football fans and arrive on this board to complain. It appears as if there are many who revel when the WBB team is struggling. I am frustrated too, but I choose to look for good and hope for the future. I wish this board would include more specific facts and observations about the game and less complaining about the same old thing. Once again, there were positives in this game but people choose to be incredibly negative after admitting that they didn't see the game. I still like this team's heart! And believe they will get better.

I am so sick of trolls calling posters that constructively criticize, trolls. DMD..you are absolutely right that the1st Amendment does not apply to this board. Why not start w banning the use of the word "troll".

I am so sick of trolls calling posters that constructively criticize, trolls. DMD..you are absolutely right that the1st Amendment does not apply to this board. Why not start w banning the use of the word "troll".
I'm sick and tired of all the bashing and some are just because the basher don't like Vivian Stringer.
But most who are complaining about CVS are making valid points and just because
I don't like reading them, can't say they aren't true for he most part.
The way this season is going can't expect to see much praise , nor can I defend how this season started and claim Vivian will turn it around.
But will say some posters have been wanting CVS to go for a number of years and untill this season I could point out that the WBB program hasn't preformed like we want it to, but still is a winning program.
This season that probably won't be the case and I'll just have to accept Stringer might not come back because of it, especially if this season turns out as disastrous as it looks like it will.
Hard to tell whose a troll , because claiming you don't like the way this season is going and Stringer isn't winning now are facts, not the fiction trolls usually post.
I'll just say some are chronic complainers that have a right to complain now.

Last edited:
Thank you Turtle31 for trying to start a discussion about ANYTHING ELSE.

In response to your question.

I didn't think our defense was that bad. I saw a lot of speed and tenacity on the defensive end. Unfortunately, we are really really short, and the big girls are probably the weakest link defensively. Playing Victoria Harris and Desiree Keeling together helps in the size department, but Victoria Harris , while talented, can't seem to keep herself out of foul trouble, so you can't keep them out on the floor together for long. Our press looked good. Our rebounding didn't.

The offense is, well, just bad. At the outset of the game, it seemed the strategy was to run everything through the center, which was a great idea in theory, but Des Keeling isn't the center you want things run through. At least in this game she wasn't. I don't think she hit the rim in the first half, and it wasn't because she didn't take any shots. We have guards who can pass (shrita and kk for two) but Keeling often had trouble handling the pass. KK likes to try and penetrate, but she gets squashed when she gets inside because she's just too small. As fast as our feet move on defense (and they do), they move just as slow on offense. Players stand and wait for the ball to come to them. The pass around the perimeter offense has returned (I know many of you don't think it ever dissapeared, but I think it did in the last couple of years).

On a bright note, I really like Kandiss Barber's play. In addition to having some talent, she has tremendous hustle on both ends of the court. When she plays you can almost see her implementing what she's been coached on. She works hard the whole time she's out there

Oddly, our offense looked best when Duke was pressing.

All that said, I'm really not a great student of the game. I could be completely wrong. But these were my impressions.

Does anyone know if there's a focus or new rule designed to discourage flopping? Early in the game Kandiss postitioned herself to take a charge, barely got touched, but fell straight back in an obvious attempt to sell it. The refs called a foul on her. Seemed like a punishment for the flop, not the foul.

Suzebe, great post. I think we have generally run smaller than other top programs in the past, but despite smaller guards, usually had a solid 6'4" post, and more offensive power, so we made up for it. We have neither this season and will likely continue to pay the price.
I absolutely cringed when I read your comment on the perimeter passing. I never liked that scheme (as most fans) and wonder if it's now being used again b/c we don't have a go-to playmaker. I do agree that it had been shelved for awhile.
Do we have a legitimate 3 pt threat?
Is this team capable of employing the 55 to generate much needed offense?
This season will be a long and frustrating one, but if the team doesn't quit and shows improvement along the way, I'll take it.

Suzebe, great post. I think we have generally run smaller than other top programs in the past, but despite smaller guards, usually had a solid 6'4" post, and more offensive power, so we made up for it. We have neither this season and will likely continue to pay the price.
I absolutely cringed when I read your comment on the perimeter passing. I never liked that scheme (as most fans) and wonder if it's now being used again b/c we don't have a go-to playmaker. I do agree that it had been shelved for awhile.
Do we have a legitimate 3 pt threat?
Is this team capable of employing the 55 to generate much needed offense?
This season will be a long and frustrating one, but if the team doesn't quit and shows improvement along the way, I'll take it.
I don't know about 3 point threats, but if I'm not totally confused I thought RU went 8 of 16 on 3 pointers in one recent game - I think a loss.

I don't mind perimeter passing per se - Villanova had it to an art form for years. I'll never forget Harry yelling to his point guard - and I quote - "Reverse the Ball. Good things happen when you reverse the ball." The problem is when it doesn't produce either a shot, or a good look, or a pass inside. When players just stand waiting for someone else to take the shot. Then it isn't great.

We certainly have several players who can hit the three, but with the possible exception of Jeune, none of them really seem to want to take it. I don't think we really have that player who can consistently sink it from waaay downtown, and since we can't get the ball into the paint at all, it's hard to get enough movement to get someone open for a real good look from the three point line. The only real offense I saw played was really generated by our defense, or when Duke tried to press and we were able to push ahead and get behind the defense.
Agreed it's gonna be an ugly year. I'll be happy if I start seeing some real scrappiness and more fighting for rebounds. I wish Chelsea Newton was still here coaching.
Speaking of assistant coaches, is there an assistant whose primary focus is the offense? I don't know anything about the current assistants. I've heard two of them interviewed on WCTC after games and wasn't all that impressed, but that's certainly no measure of their abilities.

ADVERTISEMENT