ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Iowa 7PM 1/17/2017 Game Thread

Back and Forth game tied at 16 at end of 1st. Cut down on the turnovers and the game can open up.

29-27 Iowa at the half. Like what I have seen of Wallace tonight, needs to get in better shape.

29-27 still back and forth. Ladies have been good defensively but aren't getting their shots to fall. Iowa has the free throw advantage 6 - 2 in attempts with 5 makes by Iowa and 1 by Rutgers.

Down double digits. Looks like another B1G game, another B1G loss.

Watching this in person is sad. We were out everything. Coached, defended and shot. CVS should make them stay for a few hours and do layup drills. We blew at least 10. Our bigs were invisible on defense. They are shooting 65% and have as smooth an offense that CVS could only dream of.

How depressing. 71-59. Other than poor Shrita, Jeune, and KK, they can all stay and run till they drop. Sorry to be harsh but that was really demoralizing for everyone.

So sad ... WBB is our 3rd best B1G behind 4-2-5 women's soccer and 2-1 wrestling. Field hockey next at 2-6. Every other team winless.

How depressing. 71-59. Other than poor Shrita, Jeune, and KK, they can all stay and run till they drop. Sorry to be harsh but that was really demoralizing for everyone.
no need to apologize , it seems like every-time we see a glimmer of hope the next game makes it go away.

We took 31 more shots then, no 32 and lost by 12. A real stinker
Michh St has a bad game coming off a big win. Same for RU. A familiar scenario played out in all sports. Mich St's passing game reminded me of the one thing that always irked me about Theresa Grentz teams.

We lost one I believed we had a good chance to win. So let's grab a super win in Maryland next!

Go RU!!!!

Just what we need.....play #3 Maryland at their house on Sunday on national TV. [sick]

Idk about the first half but in the 2nd half Iowa got 22 Free throw attempts, and RU had 7. Iowa made 17 and we made 4. We lost by 12. We sure missed a lot of shots, but the refs gave this one to Iowa when they called a foul on us on 4 straight possessions in the 3rd and their #11 made about 10 free throws herself.

Idk about the first half but in the 2nd half Iowa got 22 Free throw attempts, and RU had 7. Iowa made 17 and we made 4. We lost by 12. We sure missed a lot of shots, but the refs gave this one to Iowa when they called a foul on us on 4 straight possessions in the 3rd and their #11 made about 10 free throws herself.
The refs gave this one to Iowa. Enough.

refs causing loss sounds nice, but a loss is a loss and maybe the way the team was playing was a major part of the reason RU lost

Reactions: RUJMM78
lol it never fails RU fans always blame refs even games when the team took 32 more shots than the other team lol

RU was shooting 30% from the floor while Iowa was shooting 60%, so there is no blaming the refs. But Dee Cantner can't resist showing everyone how smart she is (instead of letting the game flow). KK steals the ball from Iowa and is on her way, uncontested to the basket, when Dee decides that Iowa has violated the shot clock. She blows the whistle and hands to ball to RU. Dee looks at CVS, shrugs her shoulders, as if to say, "don't blame me for being such a good referee". Totally, unnecessary!!

Reactions: RUClassof67
Because she's annoying. (That doesn't mean she isn't good, just that I don't like her.)
I have found that some Rutgers fans dislike opposing coaches that continually defeat Rutgers .Its called arrogance and Geno and Brenda fit that definition.

Reactions: bac2therac
Kandis better learn real quick that staring down a ref, when she does not get a call, will result in that ref showing Kandis who is the boss on the court. On a drive to the basket in the first quarter Kandis was clearly upset with Dee about not getting a foul call & stared Dee down while motioning with her hands about the no call, not the first time I saw Kandis do this, & it always comes back to bite her later in the game.

I have found that some Rutgers fans dislike opposing coaches that continually defeat Rutgers .Its called arrogance and Geno and Brenda fit that definition.
BeK has, for years, constantly stated that he is not a Brenda or Sylvia Hatchell fan. Has nothing to do with them beating Rutgers. He also lives in the D.C. Area and sees and hears about MD games regularly. Not fair to criticize him on this.

Reactions: dmd78 and MADHAT1
BeK has, for years, constantly stated that he is not a Brenda or Sylvia Hatchell fan. Has nothing to do with them beating Rutgers. He also lives in the D.C. Area and sees and hears about MD games regularly. Not fair to criticize him on this.
I'm not sure that quote was criticizing him. I'm with BeK on Brenda and Sylvia and it likewise has nothing to do with them beating RU or (alternatively) being arrogant. I'm allowed to dislike them.

Oddly enough, I don't dislike Geno. I don't like certain aspects of his personality - although he seems to have toned it down.

Among coaches I don't like are Suzy Merchant (sorry to hear she is ill, of course), Kristie Currey, and Jeff Walz .

Among coaches I like - Joe McK., Mike Neighbors, and Tara.

And I do believe everyone is free to like and dislike whomever they want, assuming it doesn't extend beyond "sports" liking and disliking. Real world issues are entirely different.

Reactions: dmd78 and MADHAT1
she won a national championship and has her team regularly in the top 25 if not top 10 every year, I would dream of seasons like that at RU, remember while RU has had some top 10 type years the far majority of times is spent on the outer fringes of the top 25 or barely in it. Regular season and winning alot of games does count to especially in the era of UConn dynasties

Reactions: RizwranII
she won a national championship and has her team regularly in the top 25 if not top 10 every year, I would dream of seasons like that at RU, remember while RU has had some top 10 type years the far majority of times is spent on the outer fringes of the top 25 or barely in it. Regular season and winning alot of games does count to especially in the era of UConn dynasties
I'm not sure of your reference, but if it is Brenda - she's done very, very well. Has lost 10 games only once in the last 10 years; has won 30 games 5 of the last 10 years.

That said, I still don't care for her coaching style. She is a "rah-rah" style coach, the most obvious to come to mind that was similar was Carolyn Peck, although there are plenty of them. She has had substance to her coaching due to excellent recruiting and good x's and o's, although word has often been that she delegates well.

I'm not sure of your reference, but if it is Brenda - she's done very, very well. Has lost 10 games only once in the last 10 years; has won 30 games 5 of the last 10 years.

That said, I still don't care for her coaching style. She is a "rah-rah" style coach, the most obvious to come to mind that was similar was Carolyn Peck, although there are plenty of them. She has had substance to her coaching due to excellent recruiting and good x's and o's, although word has often been that she delegates well.
Could be wrong, but I thought her very young son was diagnosed w cancer a few years back. If so, hope he is doing well. If true, had to be a very heavy thing to deal w while trying to put the necessary massive hours in to . coach. She would have had to definitely been a good delegator.

Hope CVS's daughter is enjoying life as best as possible.

Could be wrong, but I thought her very young son was diagnosed w cancer a few years back. If so, hope he is doing well. If true, had to be a very heavy thing to deal w while trying to put the necessary massive hours in to . coach. She would have had to definitely been a good delegator.

Hope CVS's daughter is enjoying life as best as possible.

He was diagnosed with cancer, and it was big news around here at the time. There hasn't been anything new in a while, which I think is good.

ADVERTISEMENT