ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Penn State(again) 1/18/18 BTN+ 7PM

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Play smarter than last game, no lead is too large. They will have the revenge factor on their side.

PSU wins 70-67 making foul shots with 3 seconds remaining.

So what did I miss in the last 30 seconds of the game? Just checked the play by play and they won on free throws including technicals for the win with one second left?

So what did I miss in the last 30 seconds of the game? Just checked the play by play and they won on free throws including technicals for the win with one second left?
Official called a weak foul on PSU’s last shot (a desperation 3 pointer which missed). CVS got called for a technical Giving PSU 5 FTs

Reactions: gigantor1024
Official called a weak foul on PSU’s last shot (a desperation 3 pointer which missed). CVS got called for a technical Giving PSU 5 FTs
thanks. I saw Part of the game but couldn't continue without yelling at our poor play and mostly the referees. Sucks we should have had that one.

Before I make say anything was this a tie game when the shot was taken? No time left?

Before I make say anything was this a tie game when the shot was taken? No time left?

it was 67-66 RU....Scaife hit a shot to take lead there was like 38 seconds left, PSU shot it, missed, got the rebound with 25 seconds, RU player poked ball out of bounds with 8 seconds...PSU last shot, girl took 3 and was fouled by Scaife with 1 second. Scaife actually got great look to tie as RU was able to inbound near their bench

it was 67-66 RU....Scaife hit a shot to take lead there was like 38 seconds left, PSU shot it, missed, got the rebound with 25 seconds, RU player poked ball out of bounds with 8 seconds...PSU last shot, girl took 3 and was fouled by Scaife with 1 second. Scaife actually got great look to tie as RU was able to inbound near their bench

Yikes...thanks...sucks.

Seems like the ref was calling that foul before it even happened. If it did?

It's hard to tell, but I'm guessing that the referee saw some hand-on-arm contact (which I think I see as well) and called the foul long before the shot was released.

I doubt that Scaife will make that mistake again. Best to try slowing the shooter up without risking a foul, in my opinion.

Seems like the ref was calling that foul before it even happened. If it did?
really doesn't matter , if RU did what it had to from the beginning of game.
I call fouls like that: home court advantage.
On every away game RU has to play well from start to finish, rallies at end of game to gain slight leads like what happened last night can be destroyed by calls that go the other way or change the ending in favor of home team because Rutgers didn't play the way they needed to at their opponents house.

Thoughts:

- foul on RU tough call BUT gets made quite often (yes, the shooter DID lean in but that gets called all the time)

- Viv, as a 30-year HC, CAN NOT get T'd up there, period. com'on!

- Scaife didn't get fouled (but almost nailed the shot, damn!). "Could" it have been called? Yes, but she went straight up and the defender kept her arms straight up. Had she done what the PSU girl did on her 3 to get fouled, and it not get called then I would've leveled the ref if I were Viv. Tough one regardless.

Last edited:
.PSU last shot, girl took 3 and was fouled by Scaife with 1 second.
You need to start watching the RU games because then you would know that Gia Greene is #11 & was called for the foul at the end of the game, Tyler is #3 & she was not involved with the play.

Reactions: gigantor1024
Thoughts:

- foul on RU tough call BUT gets made quite often (yes, the shooter DID lean in but that gets called all the time)

- Viv, as a 30-year HC, CAN NOT get T'd up there, period. com'on!

- Scaife didn't get fouled (but almost nailed the shot, damn!). "Could" it have been called? Yes, but she went straight up and the defender kept her arms straight up. Had she done what the PSU girl did on her 3 to get fouled, and it not get called then I would've leveled the ref if I were Viv. Tough one regardless.
Once the call was made and a 3 shot foul, the T was immaterial, except to show Stringers displeasure at a foul called with one second left in game.
Standing up for your team when a foul against it with one second left on the game clock and gives the game to the opponent was the right thing for CVS to do and didn't do anything except shown she cared about how the game ended. Especially with the shooter leaning in trying to get the foul that was called.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Once the call was made and a 3 shot foul, the T was immaterial, except to show Stringers displeasure at a foul called with one second left in game.
Standing up for your team when a foul against it with one second left on the game clock and gives the game to the opponent was the right thing for CVS to do and didn't do anything except shown she cared about how the game ended. Especially with the shooter leaning in trying to get the foul that was called.
Cviv should have gotten a T called on her earlier in the game based on many of the BS calls this crew made, the obvious acting jobs on offensive fouls multiple times in the third period, the nonsense of the shot clock violation when PSU had stolen the ball prior to the shot clock violation & then we intercepted an outlet pass but one ref demanded that the ball go back to PSU CViv should have been all over this crew much earlier & the T at the end of the game had no bearing on the outcome..

you dont know that...she did miss the first shot...who knows what would have happened if she didnt get a t...but RU would have possibly won if Scaife hit the shot or maybe somehow its a pass to the paint and they catch and shoot...it may not have caused the loss but it didnt help either.

You need to start watching the RU games because then you would know that Gia Greene is #11 & was called for the foul at the end of the game, Tyler is #3 & she was not involved with the play.

didnt watch the game...watched the clip....announcer on the clip said Scaife so I only going off of that sorry my computer resolution cannot make out who was who but only going off what the guy in the clip said...my bad but like that you got a dig in

you dont know that...she did miss the first shot...who knows what would have happened if she didnt get a t...but RU would have possibly won if Scaife hit the shot or maybe somehow its a pass to the paint and they catch and shoot...it may not have caused the loss but it didnt help either.
But the way Page was nailing her Free Throws the whole game it stood to reason she would make 2 of the 3 she was awarded.
Seeing she was 8-9 for her FTs I don't think I was far off feeling giving Teniya 3 tries to sink 2 wouldn't result in one or none and T would not be deciding factor like some are trying to imply..
So I stand with my opinion Stringer's T didn't cost the game or put it in jeopardy. But despite those wanting to claim she hurt the team CVS did what she needed to and shown the team she had their back .
Even with a one point PSU lead RU would still had the desperation shot that odds are against.
Vivian did the right thing and refused to allow the game to be decided by a foul without vigorously complaining about calling a foul that probably wouldn't have been called or could have gone either way because of shooter leaning in trying to draw foul as she was shooting .
Time to give Stringer credit for knowing how to coach and when to put herself in line for a T and stop looking for things to complain about her.

Curiously, last year #25 Michigan played at PSU and lost 75-76. Maybe there is a pattern developing: B1G teams ranked 25 will lose a close game at PSU.

didnt watch the game...watched the clip....announcer on the clip said Scaife so I only going off of that sorry my computer resolution cannot make out who was who but only going off what the guy in the clip said...my bad but like that you got a dig in

I said Scaife in my post for the same reason, Bac. The bad is mine, as well...

Reactions: bac2therac
Rutgers had fouls to give on PSU last possession prior to their last shot.In hindsight failure to foul after the inbound pass was the reason Rutgers lost the game.

I'm truly confused as to why people think that it would have been a good idea to foul on the inbound pass. That still would have given them two FT and a chance to go ahead. Granted we would have only needed a two then, but what would have been the reasoning for a foul when up by 1?

I'm truly confused as to why people think that it would have been a good idea to foul on the inbound pass. That still would have given them two FT and a chance to go ahead. Granted we would have only needed a two then, but what would have been the reasoning for a foul when up by 1?

We had fouls to give without going to the line. Take seconds off their clock with no cost to us.

Reactions: RUfanDNT
I believe there was only 2 seconds left when PSU inbounded the ball to Page. That's a catch and shoot immediately type of play and I don't think ( from what I saw) Gia was close enough to get to Page to foul her before the shot was taken.
So even with a foul to give, not enough time to use it in my opinion.

PSU got the ball with 32 seconds...they had got 2 shots, the first miss and the final shot that went in, I believe on of our girls poked the ball out bounds...at some point yes we should have used one of the fouls we had

PSU got the ball with 32 seconds...they had got 2 shots, the first miss and the final shot that went in, I believe on of our girls poked the ball out bounds...at some point yes we should have used one of the fouls we had
Talking about that last foul.
The RU D held PSU all that time, so no foul really needed but when RU knocked the ball out of bounds there was around 3 seconds left.
First inbound went off the leg of a RU player giving PSU another chance to inbound, that play took a little time off clock . Then with around a second , maybe two Page got the inbound and took a shot as soon as she caught it. Don't know if Greene even had time to foul before shot was taken . My memory of that play seems to remember she was a little awy from Page and rushed up to challenge shot.
I could be wrong about that, but if not there wasn't time to foul and before ball went out of bounds RU was doing pretty good with the D for the last 30 seconds and no reason to foul. That I could be wrong about to.
I tend to miss some things while ranting and raving at TV screen during games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT