ADVERTISEMENT

RU Women's Soccer-- Thoughts & Observations

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
I know that it is very early but wanted to share some thoughts & observations for what they're worth after watching two games. Won't be able to post much for a few days what with family coming in from out of town.
IMO this is a very deep & versatile squad. And talented.
Against Providence Mike brought Kroeger back & played her at outside back the whole 2nd half. And she was excellent. He also brought Ariana Kuryla from the D to forward & she did fine.
Meg McClelland looks strong, decisive & quick. Appears to have built on that confidence she exhibited in the second half of last year. The save she made at Providence was really a beaut[see post on the clean sheets thread].
Of the frosh Allie Post is getting the most time & looks very good at attacking center mid.
Gia German, a mighty mite, is really a hand full at forward--quick, fast, aggressive, tough & can put the ball in the back of the net.
With two goals off corners in three games we are way ahead of where we've been in the past. We've really been quite ineffective here. Hope this is a portent of things to come.
Grad Transfer Haley Gutkowski up front looks like she can play.

Couple of criticisms thus far. Cassidy Banks is once again starting at CB. Though I think she looks somewhat improved, for example no soft passes into no man's land, she still makes critical errors. At Providence a girl put the ball right between her legs & she had to be bailed out. On another play she took a girl with the ball down in the box, which she has done in the past. Providence announcer was calling for a foul call & if he had gotten it you couldn't have argued. Think some of her problems stem from the fact that she plays the girl with the ball too tight. Hope she can clean it up because she is in a critical position. Otherwise, though I know Mike likes her, I think he needs to make a change. We have enough depth at D to do so, especially when Emma Misal comes back.
Though Emily Mason is very good at CB, as she did last year, she likes the long pass upfield very few of which connect but instead result in lost possessions.
Kylie Daigle at center mid seems better with the ball at her feet than last year, though she still has a tendency to want to hold the ball & dribble first often losing it. Needs to improve more there. Believe Allie post could give Kylie a real run for her money.
Riley Tiernan has 2 or 3 defenders on her at all times. She still wants to dribble that ball as soon as she gets it. Generally it isn't working. Believe she needs to see & look to pass first on more occasions. Believe it may loosen things up for her to then make her great moves with the ball on other occasions.
Some may say this is nit picking. So be it. I believe that this can be a really special team. And a few adjustments there can help to make it so.

Really can't go into too much more, only to say that Kroeger, Lowrey, Fluchel, Brocius, & Lynch are all so solid & playing great soccer.
The team has great chemistry as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Degaz-RU
I know that it is very early but wanted to share some thoughts & observations for what they're worth after watching two games. Won't be able to post much for a few days what with family coming in from out of town.
Against Providence Mike brought Kroeger back & played her at outside back the whole 2nd half. And she was excellent. He also brought Ariana Kuryla from the D to forward & she did fine.
Meg McClelland looks strong, decisive & quick. Appears to have built on that confidence she exhibited in the second half of last year. The save she made at Providence was really a beaut[see post on the clean sheets thread].
Of the frosh Allie Post is getting the most time & looks very good at attacking center mid.
Gia German, a mighty mite, is really a hand full at forward--quick, fast, aggressive, tough & can put the ball in the back of the net.
With two goals off corners in three games we are way ahead of where we've been in the past. We've really been quite ineffective here. Hope this is a portent of things to come.

Couple of criticisms thus far. Cassidy Banks is once again starting at CB. Though I think she looks somewhat improved, for example no soft passes into no man's land, she still makes critical errors. At Providence a girl put the ball right between her legs & she had to be bailed out. On another play she took a girl with the ball down in the box, which she has done in the past. Providence announcer was calling for a foul call & if he had gotten it you couldn't have argued. Think some of her problems stem from the fact that she plays the girl with the ball too tight. Hope she can clean it up because she is in a critical position. Otherwise, though I know Mike likes her, I think he needs to make a change. We have enough depth at D to do so, especially when Emma Misal comes back.
Though Emily Mason is very good at CB, as she did last year, she likes the long pass upfield very few of which connect but instead result in lost possessions.
Kylie Daigle at center mid seems better with the ball at her feet than last year, though she still has a tendency to want to hold the ball & dribble first often losing it. Needs to improve more there. Believe Allie post could give Kylie a real run for her money.
Riley Tiernan has 2 or 3 defenders on her at all times. She still wants to dribble that ball as soon as she gets it. Generally it isn't working. Believe she needs to see & look to pass first on more occasions. Believe it may loosen things up for her to then make her great moves with the ball on other occasions.
Some may say this is nit picking. So be it. I believe that this can be a really special team. And a few adjustments there can help to make it so.

Really can't go into too much more, only to say that Kroeger, Lowrey, Fluchel, Brocius, & Lynch are all so solid & playing great soccer.
Going to game tomorrow who is the finisher that replaces Amirah? Or is it a group effort?

Going to game tomorrow who is the finisher that replaces Amirah? Or is it a group effort?
Gotta miss tomorrow. Hope to catch some on Big Ten+. Lowrey is a finisher. Believe it will be a group effort after that. Brocius, Tiernan, Fluchel, Daigle, Kroeger, Girman[watch out for her] can all find the back of the net. Others as well.
Enjoy the game. Let's hope for a W & compare notes afterward.

Gotta miss tomorrow. Hope to catch some on Big Ten+. Lowrey is a finisher. Believe it will be a group effort after that. Brocius, Tiernan, Fluchel, Daigle, Kroeger, Girman[watch out for her] can all find the back of the net. Others as well.
Enjoy the game. Let's hope for a W & compare notes afterward.
Sounds good

I didn’t think Mason was with the team yet? If she isn’t how can you comment on her play this year?
Thanks for the observations. Helpful for those who haven’t seen a game yet.

I didn’t think Mason was with the team yet? If she isn’t how can you comment on her play this year?
Thanks for the observations. Helpful for those who haven’t seen a game yet.
She was back for the Providence game.

Excellent observations, rudad.

Once Misal returns, Mike may have to rotate Banks out in favor of Kuryla (who has been a pleasant surprise) more often.

Yeah, Girman has been another pleasant surprise. She is just as fast and disruptive as Kroeger, but may be a better finisher when all is said and done.

I hope Lowrey and Misal will be back soon, but this team sure has a lot of depth.

Excellent observations, rudad.

Once Misal returns, Mike may have to rotate Banks out in favor of Kuryla (who has been a pleasant surprise) more often.

Yeah, Girman has been another pleasant surprise. She is just as fast and disruptive as Kroeger, but may be a better finisher when all is said and done.

I hope Lowrey and Misal will be back soon, but this team sure has a lot of depth.
Thanks Degaz. Lowrey should be back today. Agree on Kuryla.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
ADVERTISEMENT