ADVERTISEMENT

RUMLAX Gets Another 4* Verbal

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Kid is a stud. We are really making in roads into the D.C. private school league. LOTS of players come out of there. We have another really good defensemen coming in from Dematha. Big get for RU.

Kid is a stud. We are really making in roads into the D.C. private school league. LOTS of players come out of there. We have another really good defensemen coming in from Dematha. Big get for RU.

Provided we have a season what are your predictions for the team as we seem to be loaded and how much more time does Brecht get as we have seemed to disappoint the last few years?

He has a huge leash. People outside of the program don't understand this, but our leadership does.

Our team has been fighting with one hand behind our backs for a long time. We just got the full allotment of scholarships 4 years ago. Our facilities were abysmal compared to our conference peers. That's all changing with the Rodkin Center. We are finally on an even playing field where we can actually start to compare results. It's no surprise in the first year the RC is open, we are landing on paper what is the best class we will ever have had. I bet that continues too.

Even with those challenges, Brecht has brought us to one conference championship game, multiple conference tournaments, and people can say we never made the NCAA tourney under him as of yet, but two teams were absolutely deserving.

He's also graduating players at the highest possible rate seen, and bringing in great kids while doing it.

While we still have some support challenges to tackle, the program is in a great spot. Thoughts of any changes aren't even remotely in the atmosphere. It's all focus on what we have and are building.

As to this year, I reaaaallllly hope we have a season. We've had a few Corona challenges with the kids, but they've been incredibly focused. They've also been practicing hard, all fall, which a number of programs have not been able to do. If this can be sustained moving into a Spring season, it's going to be some exciting times for the program. We have a lot of pieces to work with.

They will be very exciting to watch I can promise you that. Seeing highlights from the Friday scrimmages has me all hyped. Great plays being made all over the field.

Health and a season. Let's get there.

Great to hear
Team needs to be stronger - not dominant at the X and will be much better. Offense is too good.

Team has gotten in more practice time than most teams this fall

That's a direct compliment to the kids...nobody else. They have been very disciplined in their approach this fall under what I would call shitty circumstances for a college athlete. They are under a lot of scrutiny and frankly have been essentially locked down...for what is going on, it's amazing how much practice they've gotten in. As Cali notes, they've been able to scrimmage I think 6 straight weeks...they have gone very hard this fall

While 60-70% of the teams have had limited to no fall activities...RU has been full throttle

The team has filled the few holes they've had...it's now about letting the kids make plays and execute...you've got veteran players all over the field...

I expect them to be very good this year in a very tough league...

As far as the season...there is no reason not to play...and the kids deserve to play....cancelling the season would be bullshit.

You want to see compete chaos, cancel another season...you'd have juniors with 4 years eligibility, rosters would be a complete mess, and the transfer portal would blow up for most teams...kids will be very disenfranchised if they are not allowed to play...

Kids are testing, protocols are in place...and oh, the 18-25 year old demographic has just about zero issues dealing with covid...so it's time for all universities to move forward and get athletes on the field...

Comes from a great family

Reactions: Caliknight
Team has gotten in more practice time than most teams this fall

That's a direct compliment to the kids...nobody else. They have been very disciplined in their approach this fall under what I would call shitty circumstances for a college athlete. They are under a lot of scrutiny and frankly have been essentially locked down...for what is going on, it's amazing how much practice they've gotten in. As Cali notes, they've been able to scrimmage I think 6 straight weeks...they have gone very hard this fall

While 60-70% of the teams have had limited to no fall activities...RU has been full throttle

The team has filled the few holes they've had...it's now about letting the kids make plays and execute...you've got veteran players all over the field...

I expect them to be very good this year in a very tough league...

As far as the season...there is no reason not to play...and the kids deserve to play....cancelling the season would be bullshit.

You want to see compete chaos, cancel another season...you'd have juniors with 4 years eligibility, rosters would be a complete mess, and the transfer portal would blow up for most teams...kids will be very disenfranchised if they are not allowed to play...

Kids are testing, protocols are in place...and oh, the 18-25 year old demographic has just about zero issues dealing with covid...so it's time for all universities to move forward and get athletes on the field...
Agreed my daughter plays Division 2 and lost in the National championship game 2 years ago now. Let’s hope they play as she is back in graduate school with the hopes of going back to the national championship!! Like you said let them play!!

Reactions: Golfer2019
I am hearing and seeing that the offense is going to be lights out. So many interchangeable parts. I also heard that the FOGO issues are at least partially solved as the transfer kid is killing it. still concerned about the defense and goalie situation. Recruiting is going pretty well the goalie is very good and the BR attackman will probably be one of the top 3-5 kids in the state this year, with his younger brother being right behind him and one of the best kids in the 2023 class in NJ.
I think BB gets a pass this year but he has to start making the tourney. Stags made it twice with nowhere near the stuff that BB has.

With the Trump vaccine being available next month there is no reason we will not see a winter and spring sports schedule
Whether or not you want to call it the Trump vaccine it will not be fully available till April to June at the earliest for the masses to get immunized

Not true. There will be 10s if millions of doses available by February

With a population @330 million, 10's of millions doesn't quite fit my description of Fully Available, especially considering its 2 doses per person,

Reactions: Greg2020
Not true. There will be 10s if millions of doses available by February

The Pfizer vaccine is a 2 shot process, while I believe Moderna is a single shot. My take is that there should be enough vaccine available by March to take care of all the medical personnel, first responders and most high risk individuals. In my mind that justifies the season opening at that point.

Edited to add: A friend's daughter is a MD on the Covid team at a suburban Philly hospital. Although she remained in Philly for Thanksgiving her parents said the team has been told their tentative date for getting the vaccine was mid-December. Anecdotal but relevant.

Last edited:
The Pfizer vaccine is a 2 shot process, while I believe Moderna is a single shot. My take is that there should be enough vaccine available by March to take care of all the medical personnel, first responders and most high risk individuals. In my mind that justifies the season opening at that point.

Edited to add: A friend's daughter is a MD on the Covid team at a suburban Philly hospital. Although she remained in Philly for Thanksgiving her parents said the team has been told their tentative date for getting the vaccine was mid-December. Anecdotal but relevant.
Frankly I'd love a March to mid/late June lax season. Have MDW be the last day of the regular season, like Thanksgiving weekend is for football, so the purists can have something, but a March-June season would be better IMO.

Frankly I'd love a March to mid/late June lax season. Have MDW be the last day of the regular season, like Thanksgiving weekend is for football, so the purists can have something, but a March-June season would be better IMO.
Weather and better viewing for the fan, yes...but not better for the student athlete...when you consider summer internships and down time. That would cut heavy into summer for these guys that are essentially practicing from late August through Thanksgiving, and then back at it on the first week in Jan...not to mention they're all training hard at home right now so they don't get blasted for coming back out of shape after the holidays...

I get your point...but it just locks down the athlete for another 4/6 weeks on the back end...on the surface that may not seem like a big ask, but it really is...

And trust me, I hate watching games outside in Feb...

Take care of the elderly, the high risk, and first responders....agree 1000%

And kudos to the leaders that have pushed this vaccine process in record time...let's get it to the people that the "data" says needs it...good info from your friends daughter.

As far as the college athlete demographic, they will be fine (minus the extreme rare exception) and while plans are being made now for a number of season scenarios, I feel pretty confident they will be playing and March 1 should be the latest they start...and that would only result in a shortened season. (Which is fine...but then don't have players report early)...and per my information, they are being asked to report earlier than normal...take that for what it's worth.

The next item for review is the 21 day quarantine the big ten is using...that needs to be re-visited soon. It is not in line with updated CDC recommendations...it needs to be adjusted...down

Last edited:

And kudos to the leaders that have pushed this vaccine process in record time...let's get it to the people that the "data" says needs it...good info from your friends daughter.

As far as the college athlete demographic, they will be fine (minus the extreme rare exception) and while plans are being made now for a number of season scenarios, I feel pretty confident they will be playing and March 1 should be the latest they start...and that would only result in a shortened season. (Which is fine...but then don't have played report early)...and per my information, they are being asked to report earlier than normal...take that for what it's worth.

The next item for review is the 21 day quarantine the big ten is using...that needs to be re-visited soon. It is not in line with updated CDC recommendations...it needs to be adjusted...down

A low risk population on campus (no shared housing with senior citizens) makes 21 days absurd. Didn't the CDC go down to 10 days?

A low risk population on campus (no shared housing with senior citizens) makes 21 days absurd. Didn't the CDC go down to 10 days?
Yes...just dropped to 10...or 7 days and then a negative test...see what happens (of course with no symptoms)

I'm all for precaution, but there is more data now and the large scare on myocarditis has proven out to not be as big of an issue...again, we all get there are exceptions, but you don't build protocols based on exceptions IMO...

I'm hoping they make changes for the hoops teams...hell, if a kid has to sit for 21 days, he's gonna miss 7-8 games...that's crazy...

Again, keep the high risk folks away, get the vaccine to the people that need it most...and let the college athletes play...that's what they want to do

If you want to say "follow the data or science"...well the data overwhelmingly says kids 18-24 don't get impacted...again with a very very rare exception...

The universities issues are more tied to liability...not health IMO

Anyway, enough of that...I think we're on the same page...

Reactions: TRU2RU and SF88

As far as the college athlete demographic, they will be fine (minus the extreme rare exception) and while plans are being made now for a number of season scenarios, I feel pretty confident they will be playing and March 1 should be the latest they start...and that would only result in a shortened season. (Which is fine...but then don't have played report early)...and per my information, they are being asked to report earlier than normal...take that for what it's worth.

And one more "human interest" aspect to my friend's daughter. She and he husband have a very affectionate 6 year old golden retriever. Her husband has WFH through this whole shit storm. But during the crisis each day after she leaves for the hospital the dog goes and lays down by the door. Her husband takes him out and feeds him during the day. But each time after they are through, he goes back and lays down by the door until she returns home. He KNOWS something's wrong.

Whether or not you want to call it the Trump vaccine it will not be fully available till April to June at the earliest for the masses to get immunized
Oh that can’t be possible . We have many on here who kept saying the vaccine by January and by April 2021 30-40% will get the vaccine.

Oh that can’t be possible . We have many on here who kept saying the vaccine by January and by April 2021 30-40% will get the vaccine.

Actually it's likely this week, which jibes with what I posted above, but 30-40% by April is highly optimistic. Especially with some people reluctant to receive it for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Cali, from what you are hearing through the grapevine about the nuts and bolts of the Rodkin Center, could you compare how it will be in various aspects as compared to when you were at RU. By various aspects, I mean things like staff offices, first impressions from recruits, film theaters, meeting rooms, weight rooms, nutrition center, Rutgers lacrosse history memorabilia displays, players lounge, and probably a bunch of other things I would not be familiar with. Just kind of your take on then and now.

Cali, from what you are hearing through the grapevine about the nuts and bolts of the Rodkin Center, could you compare how it will be in various aspects as compared to when you were at RU. By various aspects, I mean things like staff offices, first impressions from recruits, film theaters, meeting rooms, weight rooms, nutrition center, Rutgers lacrosse history memorabilia displays, players lounge, and probably a bunch of other things I would not be familiar with. Just kind of your take on then and now.

It will be on par, or better, than most of the other elite schools in the nation. This will be better than anything Rutgers has ever had.

Someone on another site said schedule will be five home and home(10 total) Big Ten Games and maybe four out of conference. Captains are Gallagher, Bullett, Charalambides, and Mullins.

Someone on another site said schedule will be five home and home(10 total) Big Ten Games and maybe four out of conference. Captains are Gallagher, Bullett, Charalambides, and Mullins.

My own speculation but Army, Princeton and who else? Penn and Delaware?

I heard home and home B1G ten and then OOC only if they match the covid protocols of the B1G ten
Correct

Expect 10 big ten games and all 6 teams invited to the big ten tournament...so that's a minimum of 11 games

I think they will also have a couple non conference games...at least 2 and maybe 4

I expect the IVY League to not play so no Princeton.

If I had to guess, we will play a couple of home games...one vs Loyola that will be a late day start so Loyola can bus up that morning (3 hour drive)...maybe a 4 PM start.

I think you will see Army visit Rutgers for another home game

Then I think you see RU play two road games (non conf)...maybe a trip to Delaware and maybe a Lehigh or Lafayette...again short trips, no hotel stays...and dependent on protocols

As far as the season...expect lots of issues, cancelled games and multiple starts and stops

Frankly the protocols are too strict and teams will get shut down for a couple positive tests even though the kids will be healthy with zero symptoms and never be at risk...

The Big Ten needs to revisit their quarantine protocols ASAP and fall in line with the CDC...otherwise we will have kids that feel fine test positive and they will miss a month...and contact tracing will force game cancellations for most if not all teams

It's gonna be interesting...the kids are working hard at staying safe, but we all know you can throw a positive test without doing anything wrong...it's gonna be a roller coaster ride...and I feel bad for the athletes...

Reactions: jreinsdorf
If games are played and we can get past the severe protocols, I would expect conferences/teams that do play to tighten up travel to a geography that limits travel time and over nights...

I know from a good source that conferences and schools are saying one non conference overnight only...so as you look at the hot bed areas like Baltimore, DC, Philly, NJ and NYC...you will see a number of schools trying to schedule day trips...rides that are no more than 2.5/3 hours...maybe some neutral site games that are halfway points...mid afternoon starts (3/4 PM)...I know of a few instances where schools are already shuffling schedules, setting game times to accommodate same day travel...

See what happens...buckle up

If games are played and we can get past the severe protocols, I would expect conferences/teams that do play to tighten up travel to a geography that limits travel time and over nights...

I know from a good source that conferences and schools are saying one non conference overnight only...so as you look at the hot bed areas like Baltimore, DC, Philly, NJ and NYC...you will see a number of schools trying to schedule day trips...rides that are no more than 2.5/3 hours...maybe some neutral site games that are halfway points...mid afternoon starts (3/4 PM)...I know of a few instances where schools are already shuffling schedules, setting game times to accommodate same day travel...

See what happens...buckle up
When I coached college football as long as we were under 4 and a half hours we did not need to get a hotel for the team. That leaves a lot of wiggle room to get to and play. I'm sure each university (or conference) has its own rules though.

When I coached college football as long as we were under 4 and a half hours we did not need to get a hotel for the team. That leaves a lot of wiggle room to get to and play. I'm sure each university (or conference) has its own rules though.

RU can easily fill out a competitive schedule within 3 hours, even if the Ivies don't play.

Reactions: gef21
RU can easily fill out a competitive schedule within 3 hours, even if the Ivies don't play.
Of course...the schedule is crazy hard if you are playing 10 big ten games...that's more than enough.

Throw in a Loyola and an Army and you have all you can handle...

Let the Ivies do whatever they do...they can sit out and be offended that nobody paid attention to them this time...I personally couldn't care less about them and their opinions on pretty much everything...I digress

Of course...the schedule is crazy hard if you are playing 10 big ten games...that's more than enough.

Throw in a Loyola and an Army and you have all you can handle...

Let the Ivies do whatever they do...they can sit out and be offended that nobody paid attention to them this time...I personally couldn't care less about them and their opinions on pretty much everything...I digress

I care about their players, who all want to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT