ADVERTISEMENT

Run D, Run O

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
So, other than the 3 non Offense TDs, the run game was the deciding factor.

On D, our line was rough. It’s troubling. Are they just young? Too small? All of the above? All of these were just up the gut or off tackle gashing runs.

Prognosis for the future? Unclear. Need some portal “big fatties” to stop the run. We have Lewis on the edge.

Harasymiak is good. He needs some weapons

On O, my main question is, why no designed QB runs with a guy who can do it? Keep them honest. Try it. Is he still hurt? Protecting him?
Also Salaam flashed some promise in first half, then he’s on the bench.

There’s no doubt Brown will be the stud next year. We will be better in the run game.

Next week is winnable. Need to go out on a positive note.

Last edited:

On D, our line was non existent, little to no resistance. It’s troubling. Are they just young? Too small? All of the above? All of these were just up the gut or off tackle gashing runs.

Prognosis for the future? Unclear. Need some portal “big fatties” to stop the run. We have Lewis on the edge.

On O, my main question is, why no designed QB runs with a guy who can do it? Keep them honest. Try it. Is he still hurt? Protecting him?

There’s no doubt Brown will be the stud next year. We will be better in the run game.

Our defense was rock solid through most of the first half, while the offense and special teams were pissing the game away. In the second half, the wheels came off the bus, but I can't imagine how demoralizing it must have been getting stop after stop and a turnover and still making no headway on the scoreboard.

Our defense was rock solid through most of the first half, while the offense and special teams were pissing the game away. In the second half, the wheels came off the bus, but I can't imagine how demoralizing it must have been getting stop after stop and a turnover and still making no headway on the scoreboard.
This.
Offense has to do SOMETHING. D can't pitch a shutout every game.

True, first quarter was pretty good, some stops, but end of second quarter and rest of game, got gashed.

On D, our line was rough. It’s troubling. Are they just young? Too small? All of the above? All of these were just up the gut or off tackle gashing runs.

No LB's. They had to go with Dean and Wright-Collins a lot. Two sophomores one converted from RB this Yr. One good LB on the field to fill the hole. You get everyone back next year plus a few injured players.

Reactions: SBP
Depth on the DL but they played well. Guys are playing hurt now and the adrenaline can carry you when it’s 14-10 or even 28-10 if we scored that first drive in the second half but the scoop and score making it 35-10 takes the adrenaline away and the the pain sets in. Lewis and Feddie gutted it out but it’s tough to do. We are young and giving up a lot of weight with some of the backups.

True, first quarter was pretty good, some stops, but end of second quarter and rest of game, got gashed.
The defense had one bad possession at the end of the half, and one short field TD after the pick 6 was called back for a penalty. For the rest of the half they pretty much stonewalled them.

And they were rewarded with seven points given up on a kickoff return, 7 points given up on a fumble return, no points after forcing a fumble deep in their territory, and a punt to the two yard line that wasn't fielded. Really felt like the offense and special teams never came out of the locker room yesterday.

Avery Young was making Pro Bowl plays yesterday (11 tackles 2 TFLs and a sack)
It reminded me of watching Devin McCourty when he looked like he was on another level compared to other players.

Unfortunately the RU secondary has been picking-up the slack for the interior players (aside from Aaron Lewis). For better or worse RU plays in a conference famous for for producing OL (for decades). Ohio St is #1 with Michigan and Wisconsin also in top 10 with Iowa not far behind.

For all the drama over coaches, its OL and DL recuiting that really keeps RU as essentially a medicore BE team

ADVERTISEMENT