ADVERTISEMENT

RU's Roger Cohen Passes Away at 79 - Journalism Prof, RU Sports Announcer

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Sad news on the Rutgers front. Professor Roger Cohen passed away last week at the age of 79. Many might remember his voice as the announcer at the RAC at the start of this century. But he was also Rutgers first basketball play-by-play broadcaster. In 1976, Rutgers played its first post season football game in the Garden State Bowl. It was covered by Mizlou TV Productions, WCTC, WRSU and -- out of Newark -- WBGO (88.3 FM) with broadcasters Roger Cohen and Sam Brown.

But that was just Roger's contributions on the sports side. I was privileged to be at WRSU when Professor Cohen was the faculty adviser and a journalism professor at then Livingston College. The link below tells you everything you need to know about a Loyal Son and a great human being. Rest in peace Roger. It was an honor to have known you.

Last edited:
Reactions: angmo
Roger was a classmate of mine and a good friend. Listened regularly to his broadcasts. A true Loyal Son. RIP, Roger.

Roger was a classmate of mine and a good friend. Listened regularly to his broadcasts. A true Loyal Son. RIP, Roger.
IMO, Roger is worth a moment of silence before the National Anthem is played at the first home football game this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT