ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers’ Corey Sanders talks Adidas Nations, NBA dreams

Maybe its just me but I didn't take his comments the way you guys did. Sure, he could have chose his words differently but it didn't seem like he directly took shots at the guys. The first part, seems like he was quoting things that he's hearing other people say. And then the other part where he was talking about losing Nigel and C.J. just seemed like he wasn't sure how they will rebound after losing two key players like that.

Maybe its just me but I didn't take his comments the way you guys did. Sure, he could have chose his words differently but it didn't seem like he directly took shots at the guys. The first part, seems like he was quoting things that he's hearing other people say. And then the other part where he was talking about losing Nigel and C.J. just seemed like he wasn't sure how they will rebound after losing two key players like that.

A lot of what he said was very poor, and simply not accurate at all. Fultz got drafted from a horrible team. If the skills are there, you get drafted.

Sanders didn't get drafted because he does not shoot an efficient 3, can't go left, and as someone who will get fouled a lot, he cannot make free throws above .750%.

It seems like Sanders has been very selfish, and not honest with why he doesn't get drafted.

Maybe he learned his bad choice of words from you....ie, "selfish piece of shit". This is just a horrible thing to say or to imply about any current player.
Yea just as bad as a current player saying he's on a shitty team right? I don't care if you think it's horrible..that's the first thing I thought after reading those comments and I could easily see his teammates thinking the exact same thing. saying your team is bad to the media and making you look worse is a pretty shitty thing to do.

Please..don't give me that bull.

Reactions: RU-AGK and RutCorRx
I will repeat what i have been saying for almost 2 years...we have been a bad team with him, not despite him. He has a lot of talent, but is currently a BELOW average B1G point guard. You can't play that position without being able to shoot or make free throws or pass when penetrating.

The best thing I can say about that interview is that Sanders' gave honest responses to the questions.

With that said, Corey needs to gain some couth.

I will not say anything else in this piece. They were not honest answers. I still want him to do well, but I am not sure he is the player I thought he was. Oh well.

Corey got some facts wrong, but his replies were honest. What he needs to learn is how to sugarcoat his responses.

“You know cause everybody be overlooking me because they think I’m the best person on one of the sorry teams or whatever. My team ain’t doing so good, so it kind of make me” look not so good.

Not based in reality.

“You know cause everybody be overlooking me because they think I’m the best person on one of the sorry teams or whatever. My team ain’t doing so good, so it kind of make me” look not so good.

Not based in reality.

Something about this article seems strange. I'm curious if Zags took some creative freedom here. The use of "one of the sorry teams" seems strange or "best person" ; it just does not seems strange.

Last edited:
Maybe its just me but Sanders comes off as a selfish piece of shit in the article based on those comments
Maybe he doesn't express himself very well-- a bit challenged. Maybe he needs to mature. Whatever the reason he said what he did, for a grown person to denigrate a young person in this manner is just way out of line. It is not about what he said. It is more about what you called him. No class & very immature.

The best thing I can say about that interview is that Sanders' gave honest responses to the questions.

With that said, Corey needs to gain some couth.

Well said....I'm kinda disappointed this time and I've been a huge Corey supporter

Yea just as bad as a current player saying he's on a shitty team right? I don't care if you think it's horrible..that's the first thing I thought after reading those comments and I could easily see his teammates thinking the exact same thing. saying your team is bad to the media and making you look worse is a pretty shitty thing to do.

Please..don't give me that bull.

You could have easily said something like, " he sounds a little selfish" with a few of his statements....adding a reference to him being or implying someone is a " piece of shit" is just STUPID. But, hey, it's an internet message board....some guys think they can say whatever they want.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Corey's quoted comments. He is a kid who has candidly given his opinion. I imagine the Kings' scouts told him that he has unique athleticism but his game is too uneven. He needs to carry the team on his back and consistently perform. There are plenty of athletic freaks out there -- but few, who play for bottom level teams, who make their teammates better. If Rutgers wins 5-6 more games than last year and finishes in the middle of the B1G, as opposed to the cellar, then the scouts will take notice of Corey's game. He can play in the NBA -- but he has to elevate his game. It's on him...

Reactions: TruJerz
Hope he is working overtime on his free throws. Last year he was hard to watch at the line. Not sure if it is conditioning or what the issue was. How can a guy that practices his shooting that much be that poor at shooting a free throw?

Yeah....I'm glad I'm not the only one that read it that way. I hope he learns from this. I'm sure it will get back to him.

Ugh. Not sure why he would go that route with his answers? I don't think anyone was pulling for him more than Rutgers fans. Team this, team that???????? Didn't sound like he's inspired to help Rutgers win this year. Sounds like it's simply a showcase for him.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Its rather apparent that Sanders isn't happy being in college this season and his comments are showing that frustration.All the time away from Rutgers during the spring semester and even now tells me his focus still is on playing professional basketball.How Sanders interacts with teammates and the coaching staff this season will be closely watched .

Reactions: Local Shill
Just read the article after viewing this thread first. IMO his comments were not as bad as some characterized above.

He indeed does a poor job of delineating others' opinion (sorry team) of RU from his own, and the comments about the upcoming year were ill-advised and -informed (sorry but I would take Mike over Nigel 7 days a week). However I don't think he intends to denigrate the team.

He needs to learn media savvy; that casual comments to a reporter might not look good in print. He wants to earn a living playing hoops. This is part of the gig.

Reactions: RC85
How Sanders interacts with teammates and the coaching staff this season will be closely watched .

I don't think this will be a problem. From all my observations of Corey he seems to be a good teammate and seems like a good guy on the court (no indications he is bad off the court either).

One thing to look back on....OOC 2016-17 we saw a ton of zone. He was very patient and didn't take a lot of shots.

I have been critical about his lack of passing when penetrating. when he attacks the basket he has done a poor job of being open ended on his plans.

He better ball the hell out this year. I do agree with linzalonic that text can be misconstrued but nots let act like this can sound good in any twist.

I'm not gonna kill the kid. He wanted to say he's over looked because his team as a whole hasn't played well and they're not respected. He's right. He's just not a strong public speaker or wordsmith. I really don't like the angle of the article at all - Markelle Fultz, Ben Simmons mentions? A real stretch to bring national parallels to a situations a like but not similar IMO

Not based in reality.
That's what Sanders hears from his boys in Lakeland. Unfortunately, Sanders is still listening to the wrong people

Definitely not Corey's best day, but at least one of the comments in this thread was way over the line for a public forum.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
It's just not a good article. I know it's out there but maybe the Mods should shut down this thread completely. I commented earlier.

We don't need any negativity. Hoops is on the rise. Put this behind us and hopefully coach will have a big talk with him upon his return. Enough said

Something about this article seems strange. I'm curious if Zags took some creative freedom here. The use of "one of the sorry teams" seems strange or "best person" ; it just does not seems strange.

Or maybe posed the questions in an interesting manner?

That's what Sanders hears from his boys in Lakeland. Unfortunately, Sanders is still listening to the wrong people

I hear you.These kids would be in a great position if they could get some better advice. Lots of great people in Lakeland, but also some people in the athletes ears that do not serve them well.

Ugh. Not sure why he would go that route with his answers? I don't think anyone was pulling for him more than Rutgers fans. Team this, team that???????? Didn't sound like he's inspired to help Rutgers win this year. Sounds like it's simply a showcase for him.

Does seem that way. I would not be surprised for the staff to put Corey off the ball, given it does seem like he is out for himself to try to produce. We will see. Baker is more than capable.

It wasn't a good look but I don't think this was as terrible as this thread makes it seem.

It is sad though that he seems to want to lead Rutgers only because it will help his draft stock. That is not the quality of a natural leader.

Little disappointed in Corey here, as we've known him personally to be a good, fun loving guy...but always with his eye on the prize.

Reading this feels like they are interviewing a different player...very surreal.

Corey has basically been training on his own since the end of the season, save 1st summer session. That means he chose to do him and but the "team" on the back burner. For that reason alone, these comments seem almost absurd, because you can't have it both ways.

Improving individually is great, but Corey doesn't seem to understand it's not just about when the lights come on. He's still got time to get it...but not much.

Does seem that way. I would not be surprised for the staff to put Corey off the ball, given it does seem like he is out for himself to try to produce. We will see. Baker is more than capable.

I don't recall any evidence of selfish play in 2 years. Last year he took 13 shots per game, he never showed displeasure when he did not have or get the ball and never argued with teammates. He also celebrated the success of his teammates.

His shots per game were probably higher in B1G games. Like any player, he took some ill advised shots....but, nothing crazy and when he did he was pulled and rightly so. I was not at the games, but, there is no evidence he ever pouted on the bench and did not cheer his teammates on.

Last edited:
Maybe he doesn't express himself very well-- a bit challenged. Maybe he needs to mature. Whatever the reason he said what he did, for a grown person to denigrate a young person in this manner is just way out of line. It is not about what he said. It is more about what you called him. No class & very immature.
I'm a young person too and if someone who was supposed to be a team leader said my team wasn't doing any better this year before we played a single game, I would call him exactly what I called him.

Personally I don't care if and when Sanders leaves this year. His comments in this article might as well have been "will we be better? Probably not but as long as I score I can go to the NBA so it doesn't matter".

Yes he's the best player on our team. Yes we wouldn't win more than 9 games without him this year. Yes he's the best talent we've had since Mack. And yes his attitude is piss poor. Time to face the music..Corey probably doesn't give a shit about Rutgers. Corey gives a shit about Corey. And that's why I called it like I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sct1111
Oh with this NBA.

His chances of being a legit NBA player are only a wee bit slightly better than mine (which is of course 0%)

Time for my "get off my lawn" moment. Kids-- and I'm talking to 99.9% of HS bball players--YOU AREN'T GOING TO PLAY IN THE NBA. Stop. I understand having goals to shoot for but unless you are the best of the best of the best of the best you have no shot. Good to have dreams but be realistic--prepare for a life in which you will not be an NBA player.

It is nearly impossible to make the NBA. Just look at all of the stellar, and I mean stellar college player who never get a sniff. And those are the best of the best already. its no longer good enough to be a top USA college player. You are competing now with the entire world.

If you want to play pro sports (in America at least), don't go into basketball. It isn't happening. Enjoy and cherish your college bball experience.

Last edited:
I don't recall any evidence of selfish play in 2 years. Last year he took 13 shots per game, he never showed displeasure when he did not have or get the ball and never argued with teammates. He also celebrated the success of his teammates.

His shots per game were probably higher in B1G games. Like any player, he took some ill advised shots....but, nothing crazy and when he did he was pulled and rightly so. I was not at the games, but, there is no evidence he ever pouted on the bench and did not cheer his teammates on.

Yes,Sanders indeed has a lot of positive attributes. Just looking at what is presented, and the context of the conversation. Baker can also handle the ball, and Sanders might feel better playing off it. The program also needs a consistent piece going forward at the point guard position.

ADVERTISEMENT