ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers 65 Morgan State 0 - Largest Scoring or Shutout Since.............

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Largest Scoring Since:
September 4, 1993
Rutgers 68 Colgate 6
East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium

Biggest Shutout Since:
October 28, 1978
Rutgers 69 Columbia 0
East Rutherford, NJ (5th time Rutgers had played at Giants Stadium)

Biggest Shutout and Biggest Margin of Victory Ever:
October 9, 1915
Rutgers 96 Rensselaer 0
New Brunswick, NJ at Neilson Field

Largest Scoring Since:
September 4, 1993
Rutgers 68 Colgate 6
East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium

Biggest Shutout Since:
October 28, 1978
Rutgers 69 Columbia 0
East Rutherford, NJ (5th time Rutgers had played at Giants Stadium)

Biggest Shutout and Biggest Margin of Victory Ever:
October 9, 1915
Rutgers 96 Rensselaer 0
New Brunswick, NJ at Neilson Field

Did George Sanford call a timeout to ice the RPI kicker at the end of that one?

Did George Sanford call a timeout to ice the RPI kicker at the end of that one?

Foster Sanford had no problem going for the throat. Rutgers defeated Rensselaer 96-0 in a 44-minute game on October 9, 1915. Four days later the Targum reported, “The team was much disappointed that it could not run the score to a hundred after passing the ninety mark but the time was called with Rutgers within ten yards of the goal.” Exactly half the points were scored by fullback Howard Talman. His 48 on this day and 135 for the season still stand as school records and earned him his third straight All-American honors. The NCAA record (1937-today) is also 48 by Illinois’ Howard Griffith in a 1990 game against Southern Illinois.

And Rutgers future coach and athletic director, Harry Rockafeller, was replaced after the third touchdown of the third quarter by a new freshman player who made his first appearance in a box score – Paul Robeson.

You were probably walking out of there all "this team is going to mash everyone for years to come!"
There was a thread a year or so again about being at RU during these times. I was lucky enough to be at RU '74 - '78 and I guess you can say maybe the best 4 years in it's sports history. ( Source will correct me if wrong). Most of the "younger" guys on this board probably can not imagine having both basketball and football going undefeated during the regular season Of course football was not playing the big boys yet but still was very exciting. Hopefully I will again be walking with a crowd of students and fans over to Old Queens and go wild as they ring the bells. A night I will always remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingHigh
There was a thread a year or so again about being at RU during these times. I was lucky enough to be at RU '74 - '78 and I guess you can say maybe the best 4 years in it's sports history. ( Source will correct me if wrong). Most of the "younger" guys on this board probably can not imagine having both basketball and football going undefeated during the regular season Of course football was not playing the big boys yet but still was very exciting. Hopefully I will again be walking with a crowd of students and fans over to Old Queens and go wild as they ring the bells. A night I will always remember.

I'm afraid you're wrong RC1978. My years were '75 - 79 and they were the best four years in its sports history. (I got to witness the first football Bowl Game by RU and another men's basketball appearance in the NCAAs.)

Reactions: RC1978
Rensselaer as in Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? They have since moved down to D3.

Yes, the same. Considering when they played that game Rutgers was a school of 475 students, we could also have been classified D3 if such designations existed at the time. In 1915, schools were generally classified as "large college" or "small college."

That game was so silly i cant take much from it. At least saw lewis do a few things.

ADVERTISEMENT