ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers at Maryland Sunday at Noon on BTN

PSUPOWER

All Conference
Apr 1, 2007
Rutgers wins 8 of 10 matches with Maryland on Sunday.
Maryland only wins 197 and 285.

What do you think ?

Rutgers wins 8 of 10 matches with Maryland on Sunday.
Maryland only wins 197 and 285.

What do you think ?
I believe their starting 133 (Tyler Goodwin 7-0) is hurt so should be easy win there. But I think 149 and 165 should be good matches and one's that we will need to be on our A game for. I seem to be in the minority on this board but I am still high on Correnti and think he will be in his match and wouldn't be at all surprised if he won against Maryland.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Should also mention although the 125 pounder is only 7-6 he has a win over Ty Agaisse.

I believe their starting 133 (Tyler Goodwin 7-0) is hurt so should be easy win there. But I think 149 and 165 should be good matches and one's that we will need to be on our A game for. I seem to be in the minority on this board but I am still high on Correnti and think he will be in his match and wouldn't be at all surprised if he won against Maryland.

Correnti might make a good go of it. I agree.

Apparently the talk on other wrestling boards is Kerry McCoy is on the hot seat with his job.Since Santoro left,Maryland has really gone down the tubes.Is Correnti going heavy or197lbs? I wish they would just let that kid wrestle heavy and bulk up.The weight cut was a very bad idea.

Apparently the talk on other wrestling boards is Kerry McCoy is on the hot seat with his job.Since Santoro left,Maryland has really gone down the tubes.Is Correnti going heavy or197lbs? I wish they would just let that kid wrestle heavy and bulk up.The weight cut was a very bad idea.

His older brother Mauro Correnti at Rider qualified for the NCAA Nationals last season at 285. He appeared probably weighing around 270. I agree, let Matt eat meatballs, pasta, whatever, put on some good weight, and let his technique and speed help him at 285.

NEEFADGYJCJMZDE.20151220000448.jpg

His older brother Mauro Correnti at Rider qualified for the NCAA Nationals last season at 285. He appeared probably weighing around 270. I agree, let Matt eat meatballs, pasta, whatever, put on some good weight, and let his technique and speed help him at 285.

NEEFADGYJCJMZDE.20151220000448.jpg
Brandon Paetzell at 125 and Matt Correnti at 197 are both going to get a lot of invalueable experience this year as pure freshmen. Wrestling at 197 this year at this level should help Matt improve his quickness and technique regardless of how his body develops as he matures throughout 2017.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Brandon Paetzell at 125 and Matt Correnti at 197 are both going to get a lot of invalueable experience this year as pure freshmen. Wrestling at 197 this year at this level should help Matt improve his quickness and technique regardless of how his body develops as he matures throughout 2017.
I disagree.He looks weak and worn out.Yes he tries very hard at 197,but Correnti is a natural heavyweight..period,end of sentence!

Agreed. Personally, I expected him (Correnti) to be more DI ready after watching him throughout his high school career, but this is going to be a year of learning and development (not that every year isn't already). Some guys take longer than others to adjust to the college grind. Still have high hopes for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUPOWER
Correnti has no problem making 197. We may take a hit this year with Lewis out but will be stronger next year with him. Will get to see how Brandon P does against Maryland. This kid will go out there and give it his all. JVB did not replenish with any food after his first two matches which is why he looked and felt spent against Walters in the final. He won't make that mistake again.

Bill, are you able to provide any insight as to how Paetzell fairs against McCabe in the room?

Maryland had 2 matches last night vs North Dakota State and George Mason. They dominated George Mason and lost to NDSU 22-10 I believe. Goodwin is hurt and probably wont wrestle vs RU. Theo has a big match vs Banister and could end up back in the Top 10 or close to it with a win. On paper RU should win the dual reasonably comfortably, say something like 25-10.

Reactions: belushijo
Correnti has no problem making 197. We may take a hit this year with Lewis out but will be stronger next year with him. Will get to see how Brandon P does against Maryland. This kid will go out there and give it his all. JVB did not replenish with any food after his first two matches which is why he looked and felt spent against Walters in the final. He won't make that mistake again.
Bill,apparently you don't see what the rest of us do.Correnti does not look comfortable at that weight.The kid drops from 240lbs too 197lbs,and you think that is no problem?? I'm sorry,but the kid is being wasted this year at that weight.Dumbest move I've seen so far by this coaching staff.The kid is a natural heavyweight! He is built like one,moves and ties up like one.Why this kid went too 197lbs is beyond me.They should have stuck him right out at heavyweight and let him get use too the Big 10 grind.Even if he never wins a match.Gross may be the better man in practice,but I bet Correnti would fair better against the competition.I guess it is pointless to argue this with you,because somehow,someway,you'll find a positive in what he's doing and praise the coaching staff for it.

Look, it is not the coaching staff's decision for him to go to 197, it is CORRENTI's. His brother is at 285 for Rider and I am sure that must have played into his decision. He was never 240 but closer to 220 and he does make it easily. I generally don't get into the reason why kids do things but don't bash the coaching staff for something they have no part of doing. It was the young man's choice so honor that.
In terms of Paetz vs McCabe, they don't really work out together so I can't give you an accurate opinion of how they fare in practice..

I thought for Paetz to start in front McCabe he would have to challenge him and win a practice match? Not the case I guess?

Look, it is not the coaching staff's decision for him to go to 197, it is CORRENTI's. His brother is at 285 for Rider and I am sure that must have played into his decision. He was never 240 but closer to 220 and he does make it easily. I generally don't get into the reason why kids do things but don't bash the coaching staff for something they have no part of doing. It was the young man's choice so honor that.
In terms of Paetz vs McCabe, they don't really work out together so I can't give you an accurate opinion of how they fare in practice..
Well Correnti can't go too a certain weight without the coaches consent..so I'm putting some of the blame on them.There's no convincing you,for any blame the coaches might accept,so it's a pointless argument.

That's interesting re: Paetzell and McCabe.....would have thought they go live every now and again. Thanks for the reply!

As for the bold, can't help but chuckle as it's yet another example of talking out of his arse.

Reactions: RUGrapple
I thought for Paetz to start in front McCabe he would have to challenge him and win a practice match? Not the case I guess?
One would hope there's some type of wrestle off in the room (or several) just to see. I'm a fan of how Cael approaches competition for the starting spot. It's not any one performance, but a body of work between dual performance, tournament performance and in-room wrestle-offs. In some cases it can last for months...I.E. Lawson / Gingrich, Rasheed / Morelli....even the year James English made AA, he didn't lock up the spot until a week or two before the big ten tournament.

I agree Belush it should be a body of work. Both kids have been in tourneys and only Sean has wrestled in duals and lost both. Coach has to make a call based on what he has seen and he believes that Brandon should get a shot in a dual. Will see what happens.

I am not going to argue that ridiculous statement.

Nor should you have to...... Correnti.wanted to help team by cutting to '97...Gross at hwt was sound strategy...hasn't worked out that way... oh Fricking. well... Our coaches aren't perfect....It happens...Still doesn't make them wrong for trying to make the team better..

Reactions: RUGrapple
I don't blame the coaches either. As far as 125 I don't see why there would be any wrestleoff. Doesn't matter who wins it McCabe has struggled so since they pulled Patz redshirt why not throw him in there and see what happens. Huge match for Theo tomorrow. Can really jumpstart his season with a win.

Reactions: PSUPOWER
I don't blame the coaches either. As far as 125 I don't see why there would be any wrestleoff. Doesn't matter who wins it McCabe has struggled so since they pulled Patz redshirt why not throw him in there and see what happens. Huge match for Theo tomorrow. Can really jumpstart his season with a win.
I agree, you have to throw Paetzell out there to see what he can do......but you can't just give him the spot because McCabe has had a tough beginning to the year. Not sure if that was what you're saying, so if I misunderstood.....my fault.

This match will be good tests for Paetzel, Theo, Correnti, Scott, and whoever goes at 285

This match will be good tests for Paetzel, Theo, Correnti, Scott, and whoever goes at 285
Really pulling for Correnti today. He is a high quality young man who deserves to get a good result. Everyone can have an opinion, that's what the board is for. The facts of life are that he chose this path and I for one respect that and am behind both him and the coaches. That doesn't mean that my opinion is right but I'll stick with it. Anxious to see Paetzell in a dual.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and RUpop
Paetzell up at 125. He used to wrestle in front much much bigger crowds in High school at P'burg, lol

ADVERTISEMENT