ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Rutgers Athletics Launches R Edge

I think these kids are going to be in for a shock when they learn nobody wants to buy a t-shirt with their name on it. This is not a Rutgers criticism - I'm speaking generally across the entire country. Unless you have a Heisman candidate, likeness rights aren't worth very much at all, but they've been led to believe they are untapped goldmines.

Reactions: bac2therac
Courses on tax implications and financial literacy. Those should probably be mandatory but won't be. Just remember the guy who won on "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" and didn't think he had to report it. No, it wasn't the IRS agent who won. And think of Maurice Clarett when it comes to money management or lack thereof.

I think these kids are going to be in for a shock when they learn nobody wants to buy a t-shirt with their name on it. This is not a Rutgers criticism - I'm speaking generally across the entire country. Unless you have a Heisman candidate, likeness rights aren't worth very much at all, but they've been led to believe they are untapped goldmines.
I don't think it's just selling shirts... if Geo wants to help run a basketball camp, or if Bo Melton wants to teach kids in south Jersey to run routes, why shouldn't they earn some lunch money over it. If someone wants to gift our players a Camaro over it, not worried.

Reactions: gregkoko
I don't think it's just selling shirts... if Geo wants to help run a basketball camp, or if Bo Melton wants to teach kids in south Jersey to run routes, why shouldn't they earn some lunch money over it. If someone wants to gift our players a Camaro over it, not worried.

You should be. Because if someone wants to gift our players a Camaro, I guarantee someone at Ohio State wants to gift their players a Ferrari. And that's an arms race we can't win.

Reactions: RUSK97
You should be. Because if someone wants to gift our players a Camaro, I guarantee someone at Ohio State wants to gift their players a Ferrari. And that's an arms race we can't win.
Clearly a case of the rich get richer.

Courses on tax implications and financial literacy. Those should probably be mandatory but won't be. Just remember the guy who won on "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" and didn't think he had to report it. No, it wasn't the IRS agent who won. And think of Maurice Clarett when it comes to money management or lack thereof.
Excellent point

You may be right but have you seen the crap that sells already? Look no further than the Kardashians or insert average talented rapper here.

I figure the school will manage that on the players’ behalf.

Not sure that's correct. I've seen nothing to indicate that to be the case. These look like they will be contracts between the player and the owner of the item endorsed. The only time RU would seem to be a part of that is with official Rutgers gear.

Good point.
Another positive of the NIL rules.

Financial management should have been already taught to players pre-NIL.
Maybe now the NIL rules will force players to take the topic more seriously with more players impacted.

On their own, this is true. But program boosters simply need to say, hey, come play here and I will give you $10K per year if you let me put your face on T shirts. Nobody has to buy them and the player still gets $10K per year. The $EC must be very happy right now.

On their own, this is true. But program boosters simply need to say, hey, come play here and I will give you $10K per year if you let me put your face on T shirts. Nobody has to buy them and the player still gets $10K per year. The $EC must be very happy right now.

So.....nothing changes at all?
Doesn't this already happen?
Now at least it would be public knowledge and opposing fan can't make recruiting accusations anymore.

Reactions: Rokodesh
No The Ohio State or Penn State? Wonder why UCF but not Miami. what about Bama and Clemson? USC? List is questionable, but nice to get some press.
That's Twitter- where any random person with an official-sounding name can spout their thoughts. He later said the NYC area would help RU.

Reactions: rucoe89
Now at least it would be public knowledge and opposing fan can't make recruiting accusations anymore.

Now they'll have to pay taxes.

No The Ohio State or Penn State? Wonder why UCF but not Miami. what about Bama and Clemson? USC? List is questionable, but nice to get some press.

Bama is in the single entry covering the entire SEC at #5

• Haha
Reactions: rucoe89
I agree, this does seem to legalize the cheating that is already going on. My guess is that boosters, schools, etc will now much on to new and improved cheating.

I agree, this does seem to legalize the cheating that is already going on. My guess is that boosters, schools, etc will now much on to new and improved cheating.
Yes, but that's the point - it's made clear that it's no longer cheating, but rather condoned. So when the players are rolling around town in a brand spanking new Escalade, they no longer have to say their destitute parents bought it for them. They can just come out and say a booster bought it for them.

Yes, but that's the point - it's made clear that it's no longer cheating, but rather condoned. So when the players are rolling around town in a brand spanking new Escalade, they no longer have to say their destitute parents bought it for them. They can just come out and say a booster bought it for them.

There may be a reasonable compensation element to this. Somebody got indicted and arraigned today on that issue.

Bama is in the single entry covering the entire SEC at #5
too funny!

some of the crazy stuff we’ll be seeing over the course of the next year or two is going to provide entertainment value in its own right …

ADVERTISEMENT