ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Rutgers Athletics Moves to Mobile-Only Ticketing

The person who has the tickets in their name must transfer them to the others in their group. Those people would be required to create an account to retrieve the ticket that was transferred to them. So every person in the stadium would have an account (in theory).

In other words, you don't have to have paid for the ticket to have an account.
i was just responding to the part about picking up tickets at the stadium ticket window that was mentioned. I figure they'd only have season ticket account holder info there to then work out a new ticket. uness they somehow will have access to all the info of everyone who gets a transfer too.

they mentioned resale in the details: Season ticket holders will still have the ability to seamlessly post a ticket to StubHub, the official fan-to-fan marketplace of Rutgers Athletics, through their ticket account in the event they are unable to attend an event.

Is the "2.0" account mentioned something special for the season ticket holders and different than if any random person gets the app and signs up for an account to receive a ticket from someone? or just fancy way to describe any account in the app?

To me it sounded like the account types were different and the account holder could transfer tix, but no mention that the person getting them would then be able to re-transfer (and so on). But hopefully its just all the same and my entire question is moot.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Those people would be required to create an account to retrieve the ticket that was transferred to them. So every person in the stadium would have an account (in theory).

And now companies have significantly increased the record of people attending and also increased the pool of people to market to.

Is the "2.0" account mentioned something special for the season ticket holders and different than if any random person gets the app and signs up for an account to receive a ticket from someone? or just fancy way to describe any account in the app?

To me it sounded like the account types were different and the account holder could transfer tix, but no mention that the person getting them would then be able to re-transfer (and so on). But hopefully its just all the same and my entire question is moot.

I think “2.0” is just a fancy way to describe it. I typed in Scarlet Knights into the App Store to download and it popped right up, so any single person is able to get the app. I would assume that a transfer ticket can be transferred again but I haven’t seen anything for sure stating that. RU knows a bunch of STHs have a large group of tickets so I’d imagine that would have been one of the first questions they’d ask when considering moving to this tech, but who knows.

Every person receiving transferred tix does need to make an account within the app to accept the tickets so that will definitely be inconvenient for some, especially if they don’t plan it out before leaving the parking lots but Rutgers will be able to get all of that new information from people to add to their database and to hopefully increase revenue in the future so the trade off should hopefully be worth it.

Reactions: fischy5000
I don’t ever bring a phone to a ballgame and don’t intend to. Most of the time I don’t even have the phone in the car. I don’t buy stuff on the internet, don’t have an atm card, don’t have ez pass, and only use a credit card in an emergency. Already contacted the ticket office about this. I just don’t see why people cant be given the option. Just have the ticket holder scan their own ticket at the barcode machine. If they don’t amend this, people who want paper tickets will now have to wait in line before each game and bring their ID to every game. Boooooo !!!!!

I call BS on that statement buddy. Aren't you the guy with a history of posting links for RU gear?

This has nothing do with Covid or safety. In the past you would hold up your ticket and they scan the barcode on the ticket. Now you hold up your phone and they scan your phone. No difference. This is just a money saving system.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
This has nothing do with Covid or safety. In the past you would hold up your ticket and they scan the barcode on the ticket. Now you hold up your phone and they scan your phone. No difference. This is just a money saving system.
I agree. Those season ticket packages can't be cheap to print and mail out...

Reactions: Terry_2426
Its hard to see what problem they are solving here.
Make a printed ticket optional and no issues at all.

Or do what they did for BB and wrestling. For each ticket you were given a single piece of plastic with a lanyard as well as a credit card size one for your wallet. Each was good for the season. I would hold it out and the ticket taker would scan it. No one touched it besides me. Safe and clean.
The credit card size one was convenient as I split 2 tickets with my son. We each had the lanyard for one seat and the card for the other. That way we never had to swap tickets.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Don't understand the health benefit of this.

What is the difference between scanning a paper vs. scanning a phone?

Never had a parking pass - are they currently scanned or ripped?
There isn’t...but it probably makes a few signalers at RU feel good about themselves...I mean Cali is not the only place where overreactions can take place!!!

Reactions: rurichdog
NFL has been mobile only for a couple years. A lot of concerts are also mobile only.

It’s 2020, hard tickets are pretty much a thing of the past.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
you guys are all cranky old luddites

People in this thread:
SoupyVapidBighorn-size_restricted.gif

Let me say right now, I apologize to all those at the North Entrance Gate D. I will be the one holding up the line as someone tries to search my phone for the ticket. So please plan accordingly.

My wife will set it up for me before I get in line. But somehow, someway in that short amount of time it will magically get lost and I will have no idea how to retrieve it. Happens all the time with other stuff.

Mine will be that I have it up on the screen but I'm variably told the screen is too dark, can you brighten it so it can be properly scanned? To which I respond, it's already at the brightest setting possible! D'oh!

Reactions: koleszar
Ha...this would have been funnier if you said you didn't have a "MAC card" (flashback to the 80s)

Blasphemy! LOL

So if he doesn't have an ATM card and only uses credit cards "for emergencies", that means he stands on line at a bank branch to get cash, presumably on a regular basis.

I guess some people don't put any value on their time.

This has nothing do with Covid or safety.

This. They started making this move last year for basketball for single-game tickets, and I was told by the ticket office that they were planning to move to all mobile tickets this year.

Interestingly, before Rutgers had mobile tickets, I would take a photo on my cell phone of the barcode on my basketball ticket card, and then use the photo to get into the RAC.

But when they switched to mobile tickets, I complained about it. The mobile tickets last year were difficult to share with other people. But I found a way around the sharing problem. I would pull up the mobile ticket on my phone, and then take a screenshot and send it to the person I wanted to share the ticket with.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Anyone know if screen-shotting the mobile ticket is capable of being successfully read by the scanners? If so, that's a good option for transferring tickets to someone if the need arises.

Yeah, think of all the emergencies you'll miss in 3 hours, 7 days a year.

That was my first thought too.

Bring back the beeper!

Note - I'm mid 30s so never had a beeper but I do remember my dad having one in the 90s.

They have to be transferred to the organization, then to the recipient. It is additional hand-offs and recipient may choose not to give out there information. With NHL there have been time windows that only allow for transfers within certain period of time. I have had charities decline my offer of ticket donations as they weren't physical tickets. However, I hope this will lessen as most sports have gone this direction.
It seems pretty quick and easy to digitally transfer the tickets.
For football through last season, the bottom perforated tab was torn off (usually not exactly/cleanly along the perforation).
Nope. I haven't had a ticket ripped in probably a decade. They just scan the barcode. People need to stop yelling at the clouds and get with the future and technology.

Reactions: Knight Shift
NFL has been mobile only for a couple years.
This is not entirely true. NFL is mobile only for ticket transfer - no paper PDFs. However, teams have the right to provide their season ticket holders with hard stub tickets. Giants do, Jets don't.

Also, the NFL allows PDF transfer of parking passes.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This is not entirely true. NFL is mobile only for ticket transfer - no paper PDFs. However, teams have the right to provide their season ticket holders with hard stub tickets. Giants do, Jets don't.

Also, the NFL allows PDF transfer of parking passes.

Makes sense then...I buy tickets off a season ticket holder and at least the past 2 years it’s been mobile only when he transfers them. I would imagine Rutgers would have to accommodate someone if they truly don’t have a smart phone.

Crap, it hit me. I am indeed the eldest member of the family. Thanks Shifty.

Gotta go but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Anyone know if screen-shotting the mobile ticket is capable of being successfully read by the scanners? If so, that's a good option for transferring tickets to someone if the need arises.
Or, you could just electronically transfer your tickets from the app which is pretty quick and easy. I don't understand all the angst and complaints.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Or, you could just electronically transfer your tickets from the app which is pretty quick and easy. I don't understand all the angst and complaints.
They're the crotchety get off my lawn crowd. Need to complain about those whippersnappers and their gizmos and wangdoodles

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I call BS on that statement buddy. Aren't you the guy with a history of posting links for RU gear?
Yes, I have posted stores and websites for years because I want to see us sell a ton of Rutgers gear and see a lot more people wearing RU stuff to get the name out there. That doesn’t mean I buy the stuff from websites. Other than an occasional something from a store like Scarlet Fever or Kohls, everything I get is usually a birthday or Christmas gift. Heck, if I bought all the stuff I posted about, I would have to have the last name of Rodkin, Garutti, Towers, or Brown.

Its hard to see what problem they are solving here.
Make a printed ticket optional and no issues at all.
That is what I suggested to them. I don’t care if some people want to use their cell phones. Just give fans the choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT