ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Athletics Sets School-Record in Graduation Success Rate

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Per Rutgers Athletics

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (October 16, 2019) – Rutgers University Athletics set a school-record with an overall Graduation Success Rate (GSR) of 89 in the NCAA’s annual report, released today for all Division I institutions. Seven programs produced perfect rates of 100, while 17 out of 20 teams earned marks of 80 or above.

“Our student-athletes continue to set records, both on the field and in the classroom, and that reflects a cultural commitment to succeed as Scarlet Knights,” said Director of Athletics Pat Hobbs. “We are very fortunate to have academic support and coaching staffs invested in the personal and professional development of the young men and women we serve. Every day we are proud of our student-athletes, and every day we are given even more reason to be so.”

All 20 programs had GSR totals at or above the federal rate within their respective sport in this year’s report, highlighted by 11 of 12 women's teams with rates of 92 or above. Among FootballBowl Subdivision (FBS) schools, four of eight men’s programs were above the FBS average, while 10 of 12 women’s teams were at or above the FBS average.

Rutgers women's basketball, field hockey, women's golf, gymnastics, women’s lacrosse, swimming & diving and tennis all achieved a perfect GSR of 100. Gymnastics has earned a perfect rate in every NCAA report thus far, marking 15 consecutive years. Women’s lacrosse (five), field hockey (four), women’s basketball and swimming & diving (three) and women’s golf (two) have also maintained streaks of perfect rates. Men’s lacrosse (97), baseball (88), softball (84) and wrestling (83) all set program-record rates in this year’s report.

Fifteen of 20 programs either maintained their GSR from last year or achieved an increase to boost a Rutgers Athletics program which has earned an overall rate of 85 or above for 10 consecutive years.

Each year, the NCAA publicly announces the GSR of all Division I institutions. This year's numbers reflect an average for students who entered college from 2009-12. The GSR begins with the federal cohort, and adds transfer students, mid-year enrollees, and non-scholarship students (in specified cases) to the sample. Student-athletes who leave an institution while in good academic standing before exhausting athletics eligibility are removed from the cohort of their initial institution. This rate provides a more-complete and accurate look at actual student-athlete success by taking into account the full variety of participants in Division I athletics and tracking their academic outcomes.

A school-record 276 student-athletes of at least sophomore standing earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in 2018-19, comprised of 145 in the spring, 46 in the winter and 85 in the fall. Among them were a school-record 87 Big Ten Conference Distinguished Scholars with minimum GPAs of 3.70 or above for the academic year.

great achievement

but I will ask, would the administration trade in a few % of this for a few teams that win conference titles?

Never heard of a coach or AD keeping his job because his players went to class and got good grades. Sorry, that’s just the way it is in big time college athletics.
many lose their jobs when those players don't attend class

Again--even great news is dismissed by some or attacked as a negative--waiting for the usual RU detractors (fans) to chime in why this is meaningless or shows why the BOG, Hobbs or Barchi should be fired--or for one guy in particular, why Julie should still be here

The fire Hobbs people are not going to be happy .

These are average for four classes of students who would attended school ending with the class entering in Sept 2012 and graduating within 4 years by May 2016 or 6 years by May 2018.

So it is really the "fire Julie" people who shouldn't be happy. :Wink:

[in edit: Or maybe not. Rutgers is ranked 11th out of 14 Big Ten schools.]

Last edited:
Football nowhere to be found on this list. I remember when they used to be top 10 in APR. What coach was that?
There seems to be some truth to that

Picture1.gif

Reactions: NotInRHouse
many lose their jobs when those players don't attend class

Like who ? Roy Willams, John caliparri.
Let’s be honest academics is not important in big time athletics. Makes you wonder if big time athletics as currently constituted has a place at universities . I say no. But I enjoy the games, so I just ignore then elephant in the room.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Never heard of a coach or AD keeping his job because his players went to class and got good grades. Sorry, that’s just the way it is in big time college athletics.
This is Rutgers. That was always an issue with this school. They never wanted to become a football/ basketball factory. Academics has always come first. It is probably why we’re so far behind everyone else. The “my public ivy people” were always looking at private schools and saying we should be limits like Princeton instead of looking at great public athletic and academic institutions like
Michigan and Virginia. This is a very big deal. We have the academics down pretty good the athletic end is next.

not really. it is great for the athletes of all the sports but not many FB and BB players, parents (or handlers) don't care about that.
That’s why we have schools like Louisville. Memphis State, and most of the SEC Conference. Plenty of schools to chose from. I think the Big Ten and Rutgers have a little higher standards.

Last edited:
Again--even great news is dismissed by some or attacked as a negative--waiting for the usual RU detractors (fans) to chime in why this is meaningless or shows why the BOG, Hobbs or Barchi should be fired--or for one guy in particular, why Julie should still be here

The Athletic Academics board is that way --------------->

This is a football board.

I refuse to dismiss this as unimportant. It's also not something to hang your hat on unless it goes along with winning.

And by "winning," yes, even the 7-5, minor-bowl seasons we got used to having. While we should aim higher, if we can do that while maintaining academic standards I will be quite happy.

The Athletic Academics board is that way --------------->

This is a football board.
Tell that to Richard S--the poster or better yet follow pro sports cause this is college sports and grades are important--but , hey, guess you don't understand that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT