ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Band: “It’s part of the gameday experience.”

The Big Ten is the marching band conference. Our band has many great songs and traditions, killer uniforms, just needs about 200 more people to really show out at the top of the conference. Like lots of other aspects of the athletics department have lately, I’m sure they will get there

Reactions: bigmatt718
The Big Ten is the marching band conference. Our band has many great songs and traditions, killer uniforms, just needs about 200 more people to really show out at the top of the conference. Like lots of other aspects of the athletics department have lately, I’m sure they will get there

They still aren't hiring the right people.

Was on a return trip from Orlando and was seated next to a couple of recent graduates of the band. They said the band director hired a few years ago was not the day to day director(was reassigned within the music department) but still ran game day direction. Also said he was not well received by the band members (was too high schoolish) their words. Day to day was taken over by a women who was in charge of choreography.
They said they had a good time together in the band but it is still not being run like a high level band much less a college band. Choreagraphy and creativity are lacking and little effort from directors to empower the band members in the process.

Reactions: bac2therac and krup
Was on a return trip from Orlando and was seated next to a couple of recent graduates of the band. They said the band director hired a few years ago was not the day to day director(was reassigned within the music department) but still ran game day direction. Also said he was not well received by the band members (was too high schoolish) their words. Day to day was taken over by a women who was in charge of choreography.
They said they had a good time together in the band but it is still not being run like a high level band much less a college band. Choreagraphy and creativity are lacking and little effort from directors to empower the band members in the process.
What a freakin' cluster****!

Does not generate fuzzies that are warm…

Does not generate fuzzies that are warm…
They Loved all things Rutgers and are great representatives of the University. Was the week of the B1G basketball tourney and noticed my hat before boarding and introduced themselves. Only to sit next to them and continue our conversation on the flight. They loved their experience in the basketball pep band much more than marching. They said the solution as many have said on this board in the past is to hire a B1G band alumni that is second in charge at B1G university and let them revamp the entire operation.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Well our band had a long way to go in the 80s when I was there and apparently still does in the 2020s

It’s too bad Rutgers Stadium PA still plays that stupid, ear splitting, ultra constant music over the band most of the time. Shoot, it keeps playing right up to the snap.
This^^^.

Our College football games don't have much of a college football feel. More a Giants or Eagles game feel.

To be fair the bar has been raised.
Where you’re in a conference where (before RU and MD) the bands were already great, it makes what we have (however hard those young men and women work at it) seem quite paltry. All the best to them…

Well our band had a long way to go in the 80s when I was there and apparently still does in the 2020s

Actually the band was pretty damn good in the 80's, but starting in the later 80's we had a revolving door at director, as we paid diddly-squat compared to just about every other Division 1 school out there.

I wish the band was allowed to play and dominate your ears during the games like the bands at Ohio State, Penn State, USC, or any SEC band. This is college football not Citi Field, the NBA, or worse the New York Red Dogs Arena FB at the Meadowlands.

I am not a musician.

But I do have ears and eyes.

I think they sound and look great. To me the choreography has gotten better and better.

I just wish there were more of them.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Band and band activities instead of the canned music…and if you’re gonna have some canned music, make it something traditional like between the third and 4th qtrs like what Bama does which is awesome, obsesses over its three rivals and gets everyone into it. This is what makes CFB the best American sport…period. There’s no reason the RU atmosphere can’t be among the best in CFB (to go all rutgersal on your asses)

Last edited by a moderator:
Band and band activities instead of the canned music…and if you’re gonna have some canned music, make it something traditional like between the third and 4th qtrs like what Bama does which is awesome, obsesses over its three rivals and gets everyone into it. This is what makes CFB the best American sport…period. There’s no reason the RU atmosphere can’t be among the best in CFB (to go all rutgersal on your asses)

This is stupid and lame. Thank God that I don't live in Alabama.

Moreover, honestly who cares about the marching band...

This is stupid and lame. Thank God that I don't live in Alabama.

Moreover, honestly who cares about the marching band...
Many care about the band dumbass…that’s why there is a thread on it…that should not be that hard to comprehend, A lame at a Bama game, sadly, is still way better of an atmosphere than RU has ever had with VERY FEW exceptions considering one of their games has as many people as RU does (real attendance) in about 5.

don’t be Kamala-level stupid…it’s a bad look snowflake!🤣

Reactions: MrsScrew
Can’t we just hire one of the drum corps and have them wear Rutgers uniforms? Then we would have a real band. Just kidding! Bring back the Bayonne Bridgemen or Garfield Cadets.

Or the Hawthorne Caballeros.
Good point. Forgot about them and closest drum corp to me. Entertainment wise it was hard to beat the Caballeros and Bridgemen. Garfield was the best technically but their shows were on the boring side.

Good point. Forgot about them and closest drum corp to me. Entertainment wise it was hard to beat the Caballeros and Bridgemen. Garfield was the best technically but their shows were on the boring side.
My Dad used to have season tickets for the Giants. They were the halftime entertainment many, many times. I saw them a lot as well when I went too.

The only years my Dad took off where the Yale Bowl season and maybe the one at Shea, can’t recall.

The group we sat with told us a story from the Yale Bowl year where the Caballeros were the halftime show and got pelted by snowballs. They never stopped playing but when their set was over they climbed over the very low Yale Bowl walls and went after the crowd throwing the snowballs.

Reactions: Section124
Can’t we just hire one of the drum corps and have them wear Rutgers uniforms? Then we would have a real band. Just kidding! Bring back the Bayonne Bridgemen or Garfield Cadets.
What was the one from Hawthorne? They used to play halftime shows at the Cosmos games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT