ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Baseball Hires New Pitching Coach

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
This is a HUGE pickup for us. I'm shocked nobody has commented as of yet. Good stuff and much, much needed, as I know at least 1 frosh pitcher was extremely disappointed with how he was handled this past season.

I'm a big sports fan, have been to Seton Hall games, usually about 100-200 fans, same with the RU games, maybe 150 -300 tops.

I just don't think there is much of a fan interest in College Baseball in NJ or the NE except for the diehards, like the 5 of us who post on it here, lol.

Weather too cold for 3/4 of the season, Professional Baseball and HS baseball taking away fans from attending as well.

I remember going to Yogi Berra Stadium about 15 years ago when RU was in a Regional NCAA tourny with North Carolina, Army and Penn St. That was the most exciting college baseball I've seen.
Would love to see an NCAA region come back to NJ.
It might help the NCAA actually grow college baseball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/26/s...brownlie-of-rutgers-to-face-army.html?mcubz=0

Reactions: RUfanEst89
I'm a big sports fan, have been to Seton Hall games, usually about 100-200 fans, same with the RU games, maybe 150 -300 tops.

I just don't think there is much of a fan interest in College Baseball in NJ or the NE except for the diehards, like the 5 of us who post on it here, lol.

Weather too cold for 3/4 of the season, Professional Baseball and HS baseball taking away fans from attending as well.

I remember going to Yogi Berra Stadium about 15 years ago when RU was in a Regional NCAA tourny with North Carolina, Army and Penn St. That was the most exciting college baseball I've seen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/26/s...brownlie-of-rutgers-to-face-army.html?mcubz=0

The NCAA has pretty much done away with holding Regionals or Super Regionals anywhere but at the host school or one of the team in that regions field. Attendance is way better and the schools have spent lots of money on ballparks to accommodate them. They have some pretty tight standards for hosting and it also can turn into a bidding war amongst schools and the NCAA makes more money that way.

If a really small school that has a crap setup then the NCAA will take their bid but it is very rare now and the team has to be a 1 seed for the region to even be considered. Super Regionals are the same for them trying to get one even if they are a national seed they will be passed over for a big school facility.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with us getting a top-notch pitching coach - much needed - away from our in-state rival lol?

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with us getting a top-notch pitching coach - much needed - away from our in-state rival lol?

I was replying to your surprise over the seemingly lack of interest or comments on this hire, that you expressed above:

AreYouNuts wrote:
"I'm shocked nobody has commented as of yet.'

IMO it's a terrific hire. But there is very little fan interest as indicated by the lack of postings on College Baseball here (maybe 5 or 6 of us) and the bad attendance you generally see throughout the Northeast, let alone RU or SHU.

PS- interesting little tidbit. I was in NYC watching an episode of 'Californication ' being shot in a restaurant they rented. My HS best friend is the executive producer. So during a break I got talking to David Duchovny a bit, the star actor. and somehow we get talking about his college days at Princeton. It turns out he was a good baseball player, and played baseball at Princeton U ! Go figure.
I also wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg, so I looked it up later, and he wasn't kidding.
Duchovny, also a writer, wrote a book called "Bucky F'n Dent" !

Last edited:
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I like the pitching coach hire. But we are in the Big Ten. Please hire a winning head coach who has climbed the ladder, has recruiting ties to baseball-rich areas, has a record of being a resourceful recruiter (JUCOs, transfers, graduate transfers), and who has the wherewithal to land players assignments to the better summer college baseball leagues. A couple of examples would be the successful head coaches at Westchester University (Jad Prachniak) and FGCU (Dave Tollett). They have head coach credentials, recruit resourcefully, and have significant recent success as head coaches. It would be hard to believe we couldn't afford them. We have to abandon the Quincy Magoo hiring practices ... we are in the Big Ten. Get the real McCoy, not someone who looks like he might be.

I like the pitching coach hire. But we are in the Big Ten. Please hire a winning head coach who has climbed the ladder, has recruiting ties to baseball-rich areas, has a record of being a resourceful recruiter (JUCOs, transfers, graduate transfers), and who has the wherewithal to land players assignments to the better summer college baseball leagues. A couple of examples would be the successful head coaches at Westchester University (Jad Prachniak) and FGCU (Dave Tollett). They have head coach credentials, recruit resourcefully, and have significant recent success as head coaches. It would be hard to believe we couldn't afford them. We have to abandon the Quincy Magoo hiring practices ... we are in the Big Ten. Get the real McCoy, not someone who looks like he might be.

Here we go with the "JUCO" thing again lol..

In college baseball, you are simply participating (not competing) if you do not use JUCOs and transfers. JV versus Varsity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT