ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Rutgers Baseball Welcomes Six on National Signing Day

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Nov. 13, 2020) – Rutgers baseball and head coach Steve Owens announced the signing of six student-athletes in the latest recruiting class. Danny Kerr (Haddon Township, N.J.), Joshua Kuroda-Grauer (Franklin, N.J.), Joe Mazza (Manalapan, N.J.), Danny Rogers (Troy, N.Y.), Matthew Rowe (Metuchen, N.J.) and Jason Shockley (Greenwood, Del.) have all inked National Letters of Intent and will join the Scarlet Knights next fall.

“We are very excited to add these young men into our school and program,” Owens said. “They are all very talented players who meet the position specific needs that will be vacated through graduation and potentially the MLB draft. In addition to having high skill levels both on the field and in the classroom, this group really wants to be at Rutgers to help us continue to build our program. They believe in the vision that we have for the future and are committed to the hard work that it will take to achieve that.

“I would also like to thank my coaching and support staff for all of their efforts directed toward the evaluation and recruitment of this class during a very difficult period.”

owens has really done a great job with the roster. Richie what do you see as the lineup at this point. As crazy as it sounds there is almost an abundance of talent in the infield. If you figure brito 3rd or 1st. Sweeney if back to form needs to be in the lineup at 1st or dh maybe right field. dezzi is solid with the bat either 2nd 3rd or dh. sosa is a wild card as he can play 2nd or catch. digeorgio you would think is the ss thought norton is really promising and could play ss or perhaps 3rd which would help. Then you have owen who can play 3rd ss probably 2nd and catch. The outfield you figure is nyiszto schiekofer and perhaps sleight with valderama subbing in and as said perhaps sweeney getting time in right rodriguez as well. grant shulman also had a solid frosh season. Though he is likely more a backup at this point. Anyway would like to see your projected lineup.

owens has really done a great job with the roster. Richie what do you see as the lineup at this point. As crazy as it sounds there is almost an abundance of talent in the infield. If you figure brito 3rd or 1st. Sweeney if back to form needs to be in the lineup at 1st or dh maybe right field. dezzi is solid with the bat either 2nd 3rd or dh. sosa is a wild card as he can play 2nd or catch. digeorgio you would think is the ss thought norton is really promising and could play ss or perhaps 3rd which would help. Then you have owen who can play 3rd ss probably 2nd and catch. The outfield you figure is nyiszto schiekofer and perhaps sleight with valderama subbing in and as said perhaps sweeney getting time in right rodriguez as well. grant shulman also had a solid frosh season. Though he is likely more a backup at this point. Anyway would like to see your projected lineup.

Will look into the team more in depth soon and post a projected lineup ASAP!

Like I said the infield especially is going to be very interesting . I also expect us to have the deepest and most talented rotation in a very long time.

Look forward to seeing Rutgers baseball in southwest Florida, hopefully playing FGCU.
Always a decent turnout of Rutgers folks at the game. At this point no need to schedule Miami for the annual opening weekend drubbing where our pitching staff returns north with their tails between their legs.

Can’t wait until we get lights. Challenge all the Florida softee schools to come up here for a Three game series first week of March. Two games at night. Then we will see how good they are playing in real weather lol.

Reactions: bigmatt718
WE absolutely need lights it is a must. with the cost it should be next on the athletic spending list. critical to taking the next step in recruiting. Host travel and hs tournaments which is critical in recruiting better players. We also need to have a real press box and grandstand. I thought that was a requirement for joining the conference so I dont know how they have gotten around not having a real division 1 facility where they can broadcast games. Next would be a poper training facility with lockers clubhouse and weight room offices. You like a typical division 1 team that we have to recruit with.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Can’t wait until we get lights. Challenge all the Florida softee schools to come up here for a Three game series first week of March. Two games at night. Then we will see how good they are playing in real weather lol.
Chris Sale is a former FGCU player. I have seen FGCU baseball beat Miami. High school baseball down here is superb.
When NJ native Kevin Cooney coached Florida Atlantic, they routinely handed Rutgers their lunch. Not a lot of softees when it comes to Florida college baseball.

They are weather softees. They will not come up here to play because they don’t want to play in March weather, but they don’t mind taking our players. I still say if the southern schools won’t move the season back, then tell them to drop dead and have Northern schools play late Spring into Summer.

Listened to the radio interview with owens from a week or so ago. Everytime I hear him it makes me so confident that we have got
the guy. He is so motivated and certain of what it takes to get back to being a top program.

Also love his comments about not just getting back to being on par with other conference teams in terms of facilities but exceeding what is considered average or par for the conference. With his work ethic I dont doubt that he can find a few critical boosters that can get us there. Relatively speaking wie are not talking about 30-40 million dollars. Maybe a quater of that gets us to where we need and certainly in can be done in steps/ Also what are the toughts about using for 10-20 games diamond nation. I would think with the big ten exposure they might allow us games for free or close to it. Also would be very good for our relationship there.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I have never been inside Diamond Nation. Is that a full size Division 1 field with room for bullpens?

I have never been therbe either. based on the tournaments that host I would be shocked if it wasnt. I went and looked at the facility their main stadium would be a huge upgrade. Hell if we just had that we would be fine. Bleachers with backs, full bullpens lights. I really think we should see what it would cost as said I cant imagine the big ten aspect wouldnt be beneficial for a few games, also developing a relationship with them would be positive.

ADVERTISEMENT