ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Big Ten Wrap Up Article - Sarge & Politi

It's funny- if you ask Richard H. Ebright, Ph.D., Board of Governors Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Rutgers University and Laboratory Director at the Waksman Institute of Microbiology, if there are any academics to being in the B1G, he will promptly tell you there are none. The guy hates athletics spending. Butfor a BOG faculty member to say there is none is kind of strange, or just flat out incorrect.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
It's funny- if you ask Richard H. Ebright, Ph.D., Board of Governors Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Rutgers University and Laboratory Director at the Waksman Institute of Microbiology, if there are any academics to being in the B1G, he will promptly tell you there are none. The guy hates athletics spending. Butfor a BOG faculty member to say there is none is kind of strange, or just flat out incorrect.
That guy is a shitbird.

That guy is a shitbird.
I disagree. He is esteemed in his field. And he has been very vocal on an important topic that many academics have shied away from because it is a non-PC position. You can check out his Twitter feed.
He is just misinformed and/or close-minded on the "value" of his employer being a member of the B1G conference.

I disagree. He is esteemed in his field. And he has been very vocal on an important topic that many academics have shied away from because it is a non-PC position. You can check out his Twitter feed.
He is just misinformed and/or close-minded on the "value" of his employer being a member of the B1G conference.
Close-minded = shitbird. I'm sorry.

I have been saying the only reason we are in the BIG is sports . Basically football And cable boxes. The academic affiliation stuff is just nonsense for school administrators to kinda feel good about. This is an athletic affiliation . That’s why the only thing that matters is winning in football and to a lesser extent men’s hoops. If we ain’t gonna do that, well don’t bother. Period . End of story . Glad to be vindicated by the academic community.
Plum nails it …again.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I have been saying the only reason we are in the BIG is sports . Basically football And cable boxes. The academic affiliation stuff is just nonsense for school administrators to kinda feel good about. This is an athletic affiliation . That’s why the only thing that matters is winning in football and to a lesser extent men’s hoops. If we ain’t gonna do that, well don’t bother. Period . End of story . Glad to be vindicated by the academic community.
Plum nails it …again.
While it may not matter to you and sports fans, if you read the article, it matters to quite a few faculty in quite a few areas. And my kid took advantage of the shared library system many times and was very thankful for it. Everyone has a different perspective, but I would take the word of faculty, staff and students over someone on a football message board. No disrespect to you, just sayin'.

Last edited:
While it may not matter to you and sports fans, if you read the article, it matters to quite a faculty in quite a few areas. And my kid took advantage of the shared library system many times and was very thankful for it. Everyone has a different perspective, but I would take the word of faculty, staff and students over someone on a football message board. No disrespect to you, just sayin'.
I would take the football message board guy’s word for it :)

If schiano never turned the football program around in the early 2000s, we wouldn’t have shared libraries with BIG Ten schools

I would take the football message board guy’s word for it :)

If schiano never turned the football program around in the early 2000s, we wouldn’t have shared libraries with BIG Ten schools
Oddly, while my kid has zero interest in sports, the non-sports kids should tip their caps to football for the benefit bestowed in the shared library system. Kind of weird how some faculty and students can't give credit where it is due. As I have said before, to be a complete and comprehensive state university, academics, extracurriculars, research and athletics can be linked and recognize the value to the university as a whole. Like many things, however, people want to live in their own fiefdoms and cast aspersions on the areas that are not of interest to them, even if they benefit from one of the other areas.

Last edited:
Oddly, while my kid has zero interest in sports, they should tip their caps to football for the benefit bestowed in the shared library system. Kind of weird how some faculty and students can't give credit where it is due. As I have said before, to be a complete and comprehensive state university, academics, extracurriculars, research and athletics can be linked and recognize the value to the university as a whole. Like many things, however, people want to live in their own fiefdoms and cast aspersions on the areas that are not of interest to them, even if they benefit from one of the other areas.
That’s right . But in this case the BIG is still an athletic affiliation . BTN isn’t going to air one of killingsworth’s class lectures.
So this other non athletics stuff is kinda nice and cute though .

While it may not matter to you and sports fans, if you read the article, it matters to quite a few faculty in quite a few areas. And my kid took advantage of the shared library system many times and was very thankful for it. Everyone has a different perspective, but I would take the word of faculty, staff and students over someone on a football message board. No disrespect to you, just sayin'.
It only doesn't matter to macho dummies. If you've got a brain or more importantly dealt with the "real world " that matters and makes the decisions that affects business and society you discount Plum 's nonsense. His priorities indicate that he's immature and should go cheer for a pro team. And don't tell me that people who respect the academic side don't want to win.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's one of the real challenges to being at Rutgers. It's very disparate between athletics and academics. Mostly due to the academic side. They don't understand how beneficial good sports programs can be to academics. To say the B1G isn't an academic institution is just idiotic.

If you had to say one reason Rutgers will never win big, this is it. The school spends too much time infighting. Even with the directive from Holloway. Schools that we compete with now don't have these issues. All of the oars are rowing in the same direction. While this alone doesn't ensure success, it's needed to attain it.

It's one of the real challenges to being at Rutgers. It's very disparate between athletics and academics. Mostly due to the academic side. They don't understand how beneficial good sports programs can be to academics. To say the B1G isn't an academic institution is just idiotic.

If you had to say one reason Rutgers will never win big, this is it. The school spends too much time infighting. Even with the directive from Holloway. Schools that we compete with now don't have these issues. All of the oars are rowing in the same direction. While this alone doesn't ensure success, it's needed to attain it.
You may think or feel they're " rowing in the same direction " but there are many at those schools that do not, many. RU is not unique.

You may think or feel they're " rowing in the same direction " but there are many at those schools that do not, many. RU is not unique.

It is very unique in our peers. Sure, some may feel that way. They just don't have the balls to speak up about it for fear of retribution.

You think some professor at Ohio St has the balls to create a group to try and get them to move down to division 3 lol? No chance.

It is very unique in our peers. Sure, some may feel that way. They just don't have the balls to speak up about it for fear of retribution.

You think some professor at Ohio St has the balls to create a group to try and get them to move down to division 3 lol? No chance.
While not a peer, but maybe they may be some day- Cal says hello.

We don't even play Cal.

We play OSU in every sport we have every year.

It only doesn't matter to macho dummies. If you've got a brain or more importantly dealt with the "real world " that matters and makes the decisions that affects business and society you discount Plum 's nonsense. His priorities indicate that he's immature and should go cheer for a pro team. And don't tell me that people who respect the academic side don't want to win.
Go root for a “pro” team?? Wow, you’re lost , I hate to break it to you but rutgers football is a pro team . Even schiano said it
Maybe you should go root for an Ivy

None of that means he can't be completely clueless and overly biased on this topic to the point where he can't communicate rationally about it. Hard to respect anyone like that.

None of that means he can't be completely clueless and overly biased on this topic to the point where he can't communicate rationally about it. Hard to respect anyone like that.
I can respect your lack of respect for such a person.
But I can respect him for his accomplishments outside his position on the place of athletics at a large State University. Maybe he could even come around if he finds common ground with people who donate to athletics. If not for athletics our the excellent work by R Fund folks, we would not have been "around" to make some significant donations on the academic side.

I can respect your lack of respect for such a person.
But I can respect him for his accomplishments outside his position on the place of athletics at a large State University. Maybe he could even come around if he finds common ground with people who donate to athletics. If not for athletics our the excellent work by R Fund folks, we would not have been "around" to make some significant donations on the academic side.
I respect his accomplishments in his profession. When it comes to his comments and views beyond that though, he comes off as extremely biased and ill informed. He strikes me as being incapable of acknowledging the benefits of athletics.

Most of the state universities in the Big Ten were created by STATE PRIDE. Rutgers was not. Rutgers became the state university because New Jersey politicos.. and Rutgers trustees needed to serve returning vets and get that GI Bill money. And it made sense.. why force New Jersey's vets from WWII to go out of state to school and take their GI Bill-paid talents to those other states where they might stay after graduating?

The problem here is that New Jersey's wealthy families rarely had ties to Rutgers, its state university. Instead, they resent spending on Rutgers because taxes are so friggin high.. mostly for other expenditures. To them, Rutgers is just another state spending thing... and so is, by extension Rutgers sports.

As for the issue of the academic nature.. Rutgers came from being considered an Ivy League school even if we never were (and were never invited). I think Rutgers lost that reputation for reasons other than sports... reasons the faculty would like to blame on sports. And instead of thinking that Rutgers could have the reputation of, say, Michigan, in academics if they stay on this path and improve every year.. they think we should just throw away the Big Ten and sports and pretend we are Ivy.

And, and this is very strange for smart people, but they look at the spending on sports and think that is money they could get to use for "academics". The vast bulk of the money spent on athletics would not exist if not for athletics and the Big Ten. In fact, overall donations and revenues just might DECLINE should there be no athletics and no Big Ten. How would they like to see CUTS to their academic budgets? Is that the way to build their academic reputations?

How about this.. toss out all the soft and squishy subjects that have no real way of measuring the quality of professors or students or "product" of the university in those subjects and pump all that money into the harder subjects that have real value to the nation and to the student graduates.. into scholarships for better students and professors and so on. How about they tackle that issue first?

Reactions: tomatocan
I respect his accomplishments in his profession. When it comes to his comments and views beyond that though, he comes off as extremely biased and ill informed. He strikes me as being incapable of acknowledging the benefits of athletics.
The word insular comes to mind. Have come across many scientists who live in their insular worlds.

Reactions: Ridge 22
He's referring to the possibility of Cal/Stanford ending up in the B1G due to expansion to the Bay Area market.
He's incapable of responding unless it fits his narrative. He does make some good points every now and then. But the point is that many P5 universities have factions that loathe athletics and the money and attention it receives.

Go root for a “pro” team?? Wow, you’re lost , I hate to break it to you but rutgers football is a pro team . Even schiano said it
Maybe you should go root for an Ivy
No they're not---you're not worth anyone's time and I'm sure RU or Schiano would'nt give a crap to lose you as a fan or whatever you are

I don't understand why Rutgers football fans give a crap about what the faculty thinks. We are not Princeton, the faculty doesn't get a voice in how the athletic program is run, including capital investments, coaching salaries, or conference affiliation. I am sure if you took a poll of the faculty they would most likely overwhelming vote for deemphasizing athletics, but their votes would mean absolutely nothing.

Reactions: thegock
Yeah he said they are a pro team--NO-- he said colleges were being professionalized-- he still wouldn't want you as a fan try talking to him about your lack of respect for a "student" athlete. You're a fool.

He basically said it . If you went to rutgers , you are smart enough to read between the lines .
I don’t really understand your point here . Don’t you want to win at football ? This is a football board

He basically said it . If you went to rutgers , you are smart enough to read between the lines .
I don’t really understand your point here . Don’t you want to win at football ? This is a football board
There you go again NO one said they didn't want wins and many of us have given thousands to help that happen.

ADVERTISEMENT