ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers board votes to divest fossil fuels from investment portfolio

I like Swarthmore’s idea better...

Swarthmore in 2015 announced it would not divest, citing investment guidelines that called for “the endowment to yield the best long-term financial results, rather than to pursue other social objectives.”

But if Rutgers wants to sell their ExxonMobil shares, I’ll buy ‘em. 🛢💰💰💰

Reactions: retired711
I like Swarthmore’s idea better...

Swarthmore in 2015 announced it would not divest, citing investment guidelines that called for “the endowment to yield the best long-term financial results, rather than to pursue other social objectives.”

But if Rutgers wants to sell their ExxonMobil shares, I’ll buy ‘em. 🛢💰💰💰

I wouldn't. I think the European oil refiners, like BP, are much better positioned for the coming transition away from fossil fuels. Put your money there if you want to have fossil fuels in your portfolio. BTW, I'd be surprised if Swarthmore stays with its current position, although I do understand why a private school with high tuition needs every drop of revenue it can get.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I wouldn't. I think the European oil refiners, like BP, are much better positioned for the coming transition away from fossil fuels. Put your money there if you want to have fossil fuels in your portfolio. BTW, I'd be surprised if Swarthmore stays with its current position, although I do understand why a private school with high tuition needs every drop of revenue it can get.
Natural gas isn’t going away here anytime soon. At least while we’re alive.

I’d be fine with a hybrid of a few things as we move forward:

Nuclear
Solar
Wind
Hydro

With some NG too.

Natural gas isn’t going away here anytime soon. At least while we’re alive.

I’d be fine with a hybrid of a few things as we move forward:

Nuclear
Solar
Wind
Hydro

With some NG too.

Natural gas seems to be fading more quickly than was expected 5-10 years ago as the price of solar and wind drops. I think there will be a place for it until we figure out how to store wind and solar energy so thatthey can be used at night. But natural gas is not going to be a growth area for more than a few more years.

I have no problem with nuclear, but I doubt that it will be possible to site new nuclear power plants any time soon. We need to keep the existing units running as long as feasible.

Natural gas seems to be fading more quickly than was expected 5-10 years ago as the price of solar and wind drops. I think there will be a place for it until we figure out how to store wind and solar energy so thatthey can be used at night. But natural gas is not going to be a growth area for more than a few more years.

I have no problem with nuclear, but I doubt that it will be possible to site new nuclear power plants any time soon. We need to keep the existing units running as long as feasible.
Wind still has very very high start up cost and is not as reliable as solar.

If my house faced the other side of the street I might have had solar already.

Wind still has very very high start up cost and is not as reliable as solar.

If my house faced the other side of the street I might have had solar already.

But the price of wind is decreasing just as solar's is. I've thought about solar, but I have tall trees on my property and don't want to cut them down. I am also suspicious of a lot of the companies marketing solar. But wind and solar are the (forgive me) wave of the future.

But the price of wind is decreasing just as solar's is. I've thought about solar, but I have tall trees on my property and don't want to cut them down. I am also suspicious of a lot of the companies marketing solar. But wind and solar are the (forgive me) wave of the future.

Lol this couldn’t be more wrong

Maybe the school should buy every student a bike, spread out class times so the kids have more time to ride over the river and get rid of all the buses they're all so concerned.

Hopefully, there will be a place for hydrogen. Nuclear is also really exciting. Just read some really interesting research on a potential breakthrough on converting CO2 to EtOH using low voltage power, which would be an even bigger game changer, as you could create miniature circular carbon based systems.

Hopefully, there will be a place for hydrogen. Nuclear is also really exciting. Just read some really interesting research on a potential breakthrough on converting CO2 to EtOH using low voltage power, which would be an even bigger game changer, as you could create miniature circular carbon based systems.
Not that I’m against it but when I said “hydro” I meant water.

Not that I’m against it but when I said “hydro” I meant water.

Since it looks like this is mostly a troll free thread for now. Here’s a good video on progress in energy - actually pretty optimistic.

Reactions: Scarlet Engineer
ADVERTISEMENT