ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Boardwalk....

food trucks, games, rides......... Before every game this year

That is a good concept.

Will we get this crew? That would be kind of fun and funny.

tdy_shore_cast_130524.jpg

Need giant slices of pizza, Kohrs, and bar bands like The Nerds on stage.

I don’t understand the food trucks because that can only hurt revenue selling food inside the stadium.

i wish there would be more efforts to get fans into the stadium earlier.

fans will always tailgate if they want to tailgate

we need to have more reasons to get to the stadium and get INSIDE early

Well considering marketing hasn't been a strong suit of RU's in the past, I'm good with it.

That's a valid point. Plus, under Ash, the game day experience really started to erode. 10-15 years ago there was a lot of stuff to do, especially for kids; now, not so much.

Reactions: bigmatt718
will there be sinkholes??

From the article: ""Please be advised there is a large sink hole near the waterline at the Ocean Park Avenue beach," Bradley Beach police wrote in a social media statement last Thursday. "

I mean yeah, it's called the ocean. The ocean is a great big hole near the waterline filled with water and stuff sinks in it all the time.

In all seriousness, sinkholes are pretty scary, particularly ones on roadways, because they often occur without any warning and can be quite deadly. Driving 75mph on the highway and having a car-sized sinkhole appear just in front of you could really ruin one's day.

This is great that RU is recommitting to the boardwalk concept . They did it in the past and it was pretty decent. Seems like the kids stuff is new from last time. Overall they should continue to commit to this and make it a unique part of the gameday experience.

the food trucks pay rent to be there so RU gets a garanted revenue steam . And it allievates the strain on concessions inside which we know has been a less than optimal operation

Is this much different than what we’ve had for years? Sounds like it’s the same but they are marketing it better.

There have never been rides. They pretty much had eliminated the bouncy things the kids used to play in at what used to be the Kid Zone. The food trucks have been extremely limited as well the past few years. I'm not positive there were a lot of "games" in the past few years either.

Overall I think this is a huge step forward for RU and the game day experience......which is the whole day and not just inside the stadium.

I don’t understand the food trucks because that can only hurt revenue selling food inside the stadium.

I don't see the food trucks hurting food inside the stadium, becasue they are usually totally different items that are being sold.

I agree that efforts to get people into the stadium earlier is something that needs more effort.

I think they should focus much more on what happens inside the stadium before they worry a lot about pregame stuff outside the stadium. Both are important, but it seems like there have been pretty fixable issues inside the stadium during the game that aren't being resolved.

The reason I prioritize in-game experience over pre-game experience is that not everybody does a pre-game outside the stadium. But almost everybody going to the games goes into the stadium. So efforts to improve the stadium experience seem like a bigger bang for the buck.

There have never been rides. They pretty much had eliminated the bouncy things the kids used to play in at what used to be the Kid Zone. The food trucks have been extremely limited as well the past few years. I'm not positive there were a lot of "games" in the past few years either.

Overall I think this is a huge step forward for RU and the game day experience......which is the whole day and not just inside the stadium.

I don't see the food trucks hurting food inside the stadium, becasue they are usually totally different items that are being sold.

I agree that efforts to get people into the stadium earlier is something that needs more effort.

I think they should focus much more on what happens inside the stadium before they worry a lot about pregame stuff outside the stadium. Both are important, but it seems like there have been pretty fixable issues inside the stadium during the game that aren't being resolved.

The reason I prioritize in-game experience over pre-game experience is that not everybody does a pre-game outside the stadium. But almost everybody going to the games goes into the stadium. So efforts to improve the stadium experience seem like a bigger bang for the buck.
Why not put a food truck inside for starters.

There is room.

Reactions: gigantor1024
I hope I see some nice youtube etc vids of the actual thing.. but that was a solid promo...

Now, anyone thinking of using that for your tailgate victuals?

Speaking of boardwalks, wasn't there supposed to be an actual boardwalk along the Raritan as part of the River dorm redevelopment plan?

I’m blocking out the pain. No memory of the Jersey shore theme Labor Day weekend game when i think they had a boat inside the stadium and a few fans got to sit in the boat to watch the game.

did that really happen or was it just a bad dream ?

I’m blocking out the pain. No memory of the Jersey shore theme Labor Day weekend game when i think they had a boat inside the stadium and a few fans got to sit in the boat to watch the game.

did that really happen or was it just a bad dream ?
Thought it was a hot tub?

I hope I see some nice youtube etc vids of the actual thing.. but that was a solid promo...

Now, anyone thinking of using that for your tailgate victuals?
I don’t really go with a group anymore, just my friend when he is available.

Sometimes we (or just me) get there early enough to check out stuff like this.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Everyone from Black and Purple filters through there too, on their way to the stadium.

I’m a fan, but gimmicky ‘small time’ irks me. Better than a dunk tank and infamous WKRP turkey drop but not by much. Show me steak, not sizzle.

Winning teams attract fans.

Game-related stuff, sure. Blackouts, etc, fine. RU did not sell a single extra ticket that day or after because there was a small boat in the corner. Cringy.

Last edited:
Exactly my point. Cringe.

Interesting though that the tweeter’s father had been the Star Ledger’s (and nj.com) executive editor for a long time and just recently retired.

Agree. How about they give out tickets with numbers to those who pass through the gates 5 minutes before kickoff or earlier. Then at halftime or end game they draw 5 (or whatever) numbers and those drawn get a cash or donated prize (something worth the effort).

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
The ticket scanners have a tough time as it is, and people will bitch that they can’t get in in time for the lottery ticket bc of the slow staff.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The ticket scanners have a tough time as it is, and people will bitch that they can’t get in in time for the lottery ticket bc of the slow staff.
Good point. I hope they solve the ticket scanner problem irrespective of whether they pursue a drawing. The ticket scanner problem didn’t happen with every ticket but I and members of my group experienced it or saw instances of it many times. No excuse for that at all.

I hear you but if done right, this will be a net positive. I don’t know about 8AM opening before a noon game though. Seems early 4 hours before?

ADVERTISEMENT