ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers College

BigWill

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
One of my Daughter-In-Laws graduated from Rutgers College.

My Son was busting her, what does that mean ?

TIA

Reactions: MulletCork
He's USNA and though it was like Brookdale Community College in Lincroft NJ.

She was sticking up for Rutgers...

Well, there's now a "Rowan College of South Jersey" which is the new name of what used to be Burlington County College. There might even be another county down south where Rowan University is/was angling to do same.

I suppose from Rowan's angle the acquisition helps expands the name and brand, creates an allegiance with CC students and a more seamless transfer process to follow through to the Glassboro campus to finish their 4-year degrees (kind of a lower division/upper division model a la many of PSU's satellites and University Park), expands the school's footprint/real estate, and increases its influence where it's looking to gain leverage for funding, student growth, political allies, etc. While it expands the name and gets more people aware of Rowan overall, the flipside might be that it also dilutes the university's brand. Rowan's leadership (or Norcross/Sweeney) must believe the former more than offsets the latter.

At Rutgers, 29 schools and colleges serve students seeking an undergraduate education, professional studies, graduate degrees, graduate medical education, and postdoctoral education.

https://www.rutgers.edu/academics/schools-colleges

The link above doesn't quite answer the question. Here is a wikipedia quote:

"In 2007, Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, and University Colleges, along with the Faculty of Arts and Sciences were merged into the new "School of Arts and Sciences" with one set of admissions criteria, curriculum, and graduation requirements. At this time, the liberal arts components of Cook College were absorbed into the School of Arts and Sciences as well, while the other aspects of that college remained, but as the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. These changes in 2007 ended the 241-year history of Rutgers College as a distinct institution."

sorry, I have a brother who graduated West Point and 2 nephews from the Naval Academy ,none of them would agree with your son who seems quite miss informed for someone who went to one of the academies--as a matter of fact one my brother's daughters graduated from Douglass

Rutgers university has a number of colleges.

Rutgers
Livingston
Douglas - all girls school
Cook - science and AG
Mason Gross - performing arts

all have focus areas school wise.
This was years ago though. Everything in New Brunswick and Piscataway was merged in 2007 to form the new School of Arts and Sciences. You don't get a degree from Rutgers College anymore, it's an SAS degree.

It means she graduated from the most selective and prestigious part of a world-renowned university.
My degree hanging in my office reads Rutgers College and the School of Business. Tells you a little about my age but I was accepted to Rutgers College and the applied to the School of Business which was only for Jrs and Srs when I went. I don't know how it works now but back then that was the two most selective parts of the university.

It means she graduated from the most selective and prestigious part of a world-renowned university.
Yeah, but LC let me replace, not average, A's for F's when I retook classes. My GPA bears witness. Also took advantage of the "old D-policy". I put Rutgers University on my resume.

Reactions: angmo
The link above doesn't quite answer the question. Here is a wikipedia quote:

"In 2007, Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, and University Colleges, along with the Faculty of Arts and Sciences were merged into the new "School of Arts and Sciences" with one set of admissions criteria, curriculum, and graduation requirements. At this time, the liberal arts components of Cook College were absorbed into the School of Arts and Sciences as well, while the other aspects of that college remained, but as the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. These changes in 2007 ended the 241-year history of Rutgers College as a distinct institution."
This was a mistake.
I went to Rutgers College not Rutgers College of Arts and Sciences.

Reactions: RUScrew85
If you graduated from Rutgers College thats what you put on your resume not Rutgers University

I’m a graduate of Rutgers College and it used to be that way. Nowadays, not many people know what it is, unfortunately.

Rutgers University was modeled on the system that Oxford and Cambridge use where the University is composed of several individual residential colleges. That ended in 2007. Rutgers College was the original and most selective of them (some would say ... RC'81 :Wink:) ... probably equivalent to the honors college today.

ADVERTISEMENT