ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers College

When I tell folks I graduated in the 1980s from Rutgers College, I am often questioned do I mean Rutgers University? Nope, my degree says Rutgers College and I am damn proud of that fact too.

Same here. My sister and I were the first Brother and sister to graduate from Rutgers College. Class of 1975. Women were admitted starting in 1972, my sister finished HS in 3 years and transferred in to Rutgers College, from Rutgers Newark in 1972. She was in Metlar dorm that year, I was in Leupp (NewWaveDave my roomie).. We both enjoyed living on campus then, immensely.

This was years ago though. Everything in New Brunswick and Piscataway was merged in 2007 to form the new School of Arts and Sciences. You don't get a degree from Rutgers College anymore, it's an SAS degree.

sorry I’m old
Got to find my diploma. Probably sez RC since it was Jan. 1966. Ink probably faded.

probably looks like an old religious scroll. [roll]

I was the last class of Rutgers College. Now it's the School of of Arts of Sciences.

??? I graduated from Rutgers College in 1981. That was the last class of the "old" Rutgers College, so we were informed at the time. Richard (P.) McCormick gave our commencement address.

What gives?

@Source..... Calling @Source

??? I graduated from Rutgers College in 1981. That was the last class of the "old" Rutgers College, so we were informed at the time. Richard (P.) McCormick gave our commencement address.

What gives?

@Source..... Calling @Source

Was that the last one to admit women? It was very much still a thing when I started in 03 and they told us 07 was the last to have RC on our diplomas.

I am the last graduate of Cook College. That might impress some, but it's because it took me a long time to graduate. Damn you, differential equations!
Differential equations is the easiest of calculus courses. It's barely a step up from linear algebra! Lulz

Was that the last one to admit women? It was very much still a thing when I started in 03 and they told us 07 was the last to have RC on our diplomas.

I believe Rutgers College went coed in '72. ??? Not sure. But the Class of '81 was the last class to graduate under the original Rutgers College formation, before the college was restructured and various depts were broken up per a larger reorganization of the university's New Brunswick area schools. At least that's what I recall.

@Source ?

Differential equations is the easiest of calculus courses. It's barely a step up from linear algebra! Lulz
OK maybe it was Calc 3 that took me multiple tries. Something in the program was a bear, I can tell you that much.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Never understood the rutgers college chest thumping. Everyone went to the same classes with the same professors . It wasn’t like a different education was received. Why was it so prestigious over the other colleges? Because a rutgers college student was better in high school ?

I'm a Rutgers College graduate. Sadly my college no longer exists as they did away with that system a few years back. Now we have the different campuses but no individual colleges. School of Arts and Sciences just doesn't have the same ring.

Big Will , welcome back!
Looking forward to your comments.
Wait. Is that the same guy that was full of himself when ill won a squeaker in 05, then ran away forever when we spanked them in 06?

What, does he only come around to see GS bring programs back from the dead...and only enjoys the dead part? Weird. Hopefully he has a short stay.

Wait. Is that the same guy that was full of himself when ill won a squeaker in 05, then ran away forever when we spanked them in 06?

Believe so....his son was on those Illinois teams, but the '06 "homecoming" (from Manasquan or somewhere by the Shore) was tough when they couldn't get past midfield the whole game. Vintage Schiano defense that season.

Reactions: 29PAS
Rutgers College was the original and most selective of them (some would say ... RC'81 :Wink:) ... probably equivalent to the honors college today.
That is a good, if not exact, analogy. Harder to get into and slightly higher standards. (There were courses you could take for credit at Cook or Livingston that wouldn't count toward an RC degree). Of course the scale is a little different. Cohort of a couple a thousand versus 500.

Reactions: BuckRU
Dating myself. Based on hard copy books back in the day like Barrons, Rutgers College and Cook College were deemed “More Selective” from an admissions standpoint. Based on Sat scores Cook was more selective. Smaller school. Hearsay was Rutgers College had a more difficult curriculum. Regardless, nobody should be knocking a Rutgers education.

Nah she never went to RU. She went to nursing school in NYC. I created that monster all by myself. @MrsScrew
We should have a Rutgers Fan Hall of Fame for people who went to other schools. First inductees—Mrs Screw, Chris Carlin, Amy Towers, and Jeff Towers. Any others come to mind.

This is not to justify any chest thumping but when I was there the faculty for each college were separate. I graduated from RC but took enough classes at Douglass, Livingston and University Colleges to see that there were clear differences among them in instruction and levels of difficulty. FWIW, Greg Brown is a Livingston grad and things have worked out pretty well for him.
Rutgers College was widely acknowledged as the most prestigious college. It was a big deal when I graduated. My mother graduated from Douglass, also prestigious for women, and Cook was for the farmers. Anything else, well, . . . . .

Reactions: RUScrew85
I believe Rutgers College went coed in '72. ??? Not sure. But the Class of '81 was the last class to graduate under the original Rutgers College formation, before the college was restructured and various depts were broken up per a larger reorganization of the university's New Brunswick area schools. At least that's what I recall.

@Source ?

According to Wiki the faculty from all the schools were combined for the next year. I graduated in 80 so I don’t know if that is correct info.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers_University

From the same Wiki:

Prior to 1982, separate liberal arts faculties existed in the several separate "residential colleges" (Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, University, and Cook colleges) at Rutgers–New Brunswick.

In 1982, under president Edward J. Bloustein, the liberal arts faculties of these five institutions were centralized into one college, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, which itself had no students. The separate residential colleges persisted for students, and while instructors for classes were now drawn from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, separate standards for admission, good standing, and graduation still continued for students, depending on which residential college they were enrolled in.

In 2007, Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, and University Colleges, along with the Faculty of Arts and Sciences were merged into the new "School of Arts and Sciences" with one set of admissions criteria, curriculum, and graduation requirements. At this time, the liberal arts components of Cook College were absorbed into the School of Arts and Sciences as well, while the other aspects of that college remained, but as the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. These changes in 2007 ended the 241-year history of Rutgers College as a distinct institution.

As to the OP, there's a Columbia College and relatively few know of it, likely fewer people than who know of Rutgers College.

Not all exactly the same but there are other similar examples too. In the case of Columbia University it's a close enough example with certain parallels and historical attributes that lends itself to a side-by-side comparison. Of course, Columbia went all-in with the Ivy League athletic affiliation sometime in the 1950s, meanwhile Rutgers took on the burden of NJ's public higher education mission as the state university in the prior decade.

Columbia (became Columbia Univ in 1912) // Rutgers (became Rutgers Univ in 1924)

What are the differences between Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, Barnard College and the School of General Studies?

Columbia College is Columbia's traditional undergraduate liberal arts college, its founding in 1754 as King's College marks the birth of Columbia University.
---> Rutgers College (founded as Queen's College in 1766); 200+ years later in 1969, an additional undergrad arts & sciences college, Livingston College, was formed. Both until consolidation into School of Arts & Sciences, starting in 2007.

Columbia Engineering is the University's engineering school, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees.
----> Rutgers Engineering (and, of course, several other undergrad schools including Pharmacy, SEBS (Cook), RBS, MGSA, etc)

Barnard College is a liberal arts college for women in partnership with Columbia University.
----> Douglass College, undergrad liberal arts & sciences college for women only (until consolidation into SAS in 2007); exists today only as Douglass Residential College (for women students who want to live in housing on Douglass Campus in NB and have access to resources/programs provided there)

The School of General Studies is Columbia’s college for nontraditional students who want to earn a degree while attending full- or part-time.
----> University College-New Brunswick, undergrad liberal arts & sciences college for non-traditional students (until consolidation into SAS in 2007); University College exists today only as an advising and support/resources arm for non-traditional students enrolled in SAS or one of the other undergrad schools

Internally at Columbia and probably in alumni circles, they still distinguish the schools/colleges to this day in terms of identifying affiliation for student enrollment, programming, and alumni purposes. But few others really care or bother to differentiate (or have little to no idea that such exists...much like what precipitated the OP). Except perhaps for Barnard as its affiliation with the rest of Columbia has been more quasi-independent (described above as "in partnership with").

Last edited:
Believe so....his son was on those Illinois teams, but the '06 "homecoming" (from Manasquan or somewhere by the Shore) was tough when they couldn't get past midfield the whole game. Vintage Schiano defense that season.
Man, I loved watching that game. Looking forward to more like that.

From the same Wiki:

Prior to 1982, separate liberal arts faculties existed in the several separate "residential colleges" (Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, University, and Cook colleges) at Rutgers–New Brunswick.

In 1982, under president Edward J. Bloustein, the liberal arts faculties of these five institutions were centralized into one college, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, which itself had no students. The separate residential colleges persisted for students, and while instructors for classes were now drawn from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, separate standards for admission, good standing, and graduation still continued for students, depending on which residential college they were enrolled in.

In 2007, Rutgers, Douglass, Livingston, and University Colleges, along with the Faculty of Arts and Sciences were merged into the new "School of Arts and Sciences" with one set of admissions criteria, curriculum, and graduation requirements. At this time, the liberal arts components of Cook College were absorbed into the School of Arts and Sciences as well, while the other aspects of that college remained, but as the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences. These changes in 2007 ended the 241-year history of Rutgers College as a distinct institution.
I graduated in ‘85 and was a TA in ‘86 & ‘87.

The faculties were the same. Prior to that a professor could get tenure at say Livingston and the Rutgers College professor with more credentials would get turned down. Solved the professor issue.

However if you were a RC student and wanted to take Econ 101 you had to take RC version. In the beginning the Livingston version might be easier yet taught by the same professor. Also degree requirements differed.

Let me give you an example of RC’s pedigree. Graduated top 5% local Catholic HS. Went to Seton Hall. Dean’s list 3 of 4 semesters. RC offered academic scholarship to transfer. After first semester on probation. Work and too much playing bridge. Had to buckle down then graduated 3.7 cumulative but may have failed Mandatory Humanities Exam. (Science major). RC very rigorous in 60s.

Well, there's now a "Rowan College of South Jersey" which is the new name of what used to be Burlington County College. There might even be another county down south where Rowan University is/was angling to do same.

I suppose from Rowan's angle the acquisition helps expands the name and brand, creates an allegiance with CC students and a more seamless transfer process to follow through to the Glassboro campus to finish their 4-year degrees (kind of a lower division/upper division model a la many of PSU's satellites and University Park), expands the school's footprint/real estate, and increases its influence where it's looking to gain leverage for funding, student growth, political allies, etc. While it expands the name and gets more people aware of Rowan overall, the flipside might be that it also dilutes the university's brand. Rowan's leadership (or Norcross/Sweeney) must believe the former more than offsets the latter.

Norcross is driven by one thing, gain more control of tax payer money. By taking over the county colleges in Burlington and Glassboro, he controls more money. He will never stop and there's no such thing as enough. He doesn't really know much about colleges or how they work, so he doesn't know and doesn't care about the brand, just expansion. He failed out of Rutgers Camden, so he's hell bent on destroying Rutgers and taking control of the money Rutgers gets.

Norcross is driven by one thing, gain more control of tax payer money. By taking over the county colleges in Burlington and Glassboro, he controls more money. He will never stop and there's no such thing as enough. He doesn't really know much about colleges or how they work, so he doesn't know and doesn't care about the brand, just expansion. He failed out of Rutgers Camden, so he's hell bent on destroying Rutgers and taking control of the money Rutgers gets.
Interesting. Did not know that.

We need to remind him and others about that if we ever have do for Rutgers what we did for Greg via social and print media.

Big Will , welcome back!
Looking forward to your comments.

Just looking around for free.

Greg will make RU a power, but the lead that Ohio Status and Muck have on him with Stadium size, fan base, infrastructure (additional revenue outside BTN contract $) is a gigantic mountain to climb.

How much will the State and the idiot politicians and RU profs scream when Greg wants 50,000 more seats !

Look at State Penn, they haven't been able to make that mega-jump to National powerhouse since Joe Pathetic joined the BIG.

IF somebody started a New Big East Conference, with RU, Army, Navy, BC, UConn, Syracuse, State Penn, Pitt, Maryland, Temple, Buffalo, West Virginia (maybe) that would be a lot of TV sets and decent football and reduced travel costs for the other intercollegiate sports.

ADVERTISEMENT