Rutgers Currently Ranked #3 for 2024 Class

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart

Are you listening Dylan?

MO

Congratulations Ace Bailey and thanks for joining us on the Banks.

Taking this opportunity to let Dylan Harper know we want him to continue the Haper legacy....and to join super talented players like you. Gavin, and the MONSTER team that Pike / Staff are putting together.

Just one question...our posters love to use "At Duke, you're just another cog in the wheel. Here, you're the face of the program taking its first step" as a recruiting tool. (I've always found it ridiculous anyway.) What will they say now?

Just one question...our posters love to use "At Duke, you're just another cog in the wheel. Here, you're the face of the program taking its first step" as a recruiting tool. (I've always found it ridiculous anyway.) What will they say now?
The same until we reach the rarified air where Duke basketball has existed for the past few decades.

If Dylan comes to a Rutgers MBB game we have to start the “We want Dylan” chant. I was at the game we did it for Cliff and I think that is one of the things that got him to come to RU!

Reactions: RedTeam1994
For HS class of 2022 Duke has #1, #2, #4, #22, #61 and #97 (composite)
For 2023 Duke has #6, #12, #13, #18, #19 (Rivals)

It's safe to keep saying that.

Reactions: socaldave
The same until we reach the rarified air where Duke basketball has existed for the past few decades.
I'm confused. One minute people quote the past as being important to these kids. The next moment, some people are saying kids don't care about anything more than 2 minutes old. Which is it?

Confused Season 2 GIF by Rick and Morty

For HS class of 2022 Duke has #1, #2, #4, #22, #61 and #97 (composite)
For 2023 Duke has #6, #12, #13, #18, #19 (Rivals)

It's safe to keep saying that.
My comment was more about RU and less about Duke. The old, "Be a part of of the first team to go to the tournament" or "Be the beginning of a change" and "Be a legend and not just a piece" just isn't going to work anymore. Geo , Ron, and Caleb did those things. Kids who commit now aren't going to be a star who builds the program. They are just another cog in the whell that keeps turning year after year. I love it because it means we've arrived (and I believe we have), but the messaging has to change.

My comment was more about RU and less about Duke. The old, "Be a part of of the first team to go to the tournament" or "Be the beginning of a change" and "Be a legend and not just a piece" just isn't going to work anymore. Geo , Ron, and Caleb did those things. Kids who commit now aren't going to be a star who builds the program. They are just another cog in the whell that keeps turning year after year. I love it because it means we've arrived (and I believe we have), but the messaging has to change.
I get what you're saying but there are a lot of firsts left.
First team to win the Big Ten, first team to get to the second weekend, first elite 8, first FF, first National Championship, first first-round pick, first lottery pick etc.

I don't know Duke as well as Uconn - but here's an example -

We don't have anything to compare with that. If you go to a FF or win a Championship there, you're just another guy. If one of our current players or recruits or any group of them leads us to a FF or Championship, they will get a lot more attention and everything else than any one player or one team at those kinds of schools.
That's going to resonate with some players.

We will just say what Duke, unc and Kansas say. Seems to work !

why bring that up now? its like you want to say the most negative thing possible at any given moment.

We don't have anything to compare with that. If you go to a FF or win a Championship there, you're just another guy. If one of our current players or recruits or any group of them leads us to a FF or Championship, they will get a lot more attention and everything else than any one player or one team at those kinds of schools.
Of course . Good example is GEO . Round of 32, with bad turnover at end of loss . Play In game against Notre dame, missed shot at end of regulation and lose in OT . But he was part of this and the turnaround . He made rutgers relevant . We love him here and his legacy is secure… imagine if a guy hits a shot to get us to sweet 16

I'm confused. One minute people quote the past as being important to these kids. The next moment, some people are saying kids don't care about anything more than 2 minutes old. Which is it?

Confused Season 2 GIF by Rick and Morty
For a lot of recruits it could be your track record over the past five years or so

Reportedly Saquon Barkley committed to RU after our 9-4 season under first year Flood and good seasons just before under Greg. The decades of bad football before that was not considered and RU was his dream school for a while

So best guess for a lot of recruits might be a five year record

I would guess it is similar for bb

Last edited:
For a lot of recruits it could be your track record over the past five years or do

Reportedly Saquon Barkley committed to RU after our 9-4 season under first year Flood and good seasons just before under Greg. The decades of bad football before that was not considered and RU was his dream school for a while

So best guess for a lot of recruits might be a five year record

I would guess it is similar for bb
But later Say-Say said he switched for purely 'academic' reasons implying State Penn was the better academic school.🤡

I get what you're saying but there are a lot of firsts left.
First team to win the Big Ten, first team to get to the second weekend, first elite 8, first FF, first National Championship, first first-round pick, first lottery pick etc.
I may be misunderstanding, but are you limiting it to relatively recent RU teams and players or to Pike's teams? (We reached elite 8 and final 4 in 1976, Bailey, Hinson, and Douby were first round picks, and admittedly the NBA Draft Lottery didn't exist yet in 1979, but James Bailey was the 6th pick in the first round so he might still be considered a lottery pick by some.) Again, sorry if I misunderstood.

I may be misunderstanding, but are you limiting it to relatively recent RU teams and players or to Pike's teams? (We reached elite 8 and final 4 in 1976, Bailey, Hinson, and Douby were first round picks, and admittedly the NBA Draft Lottery didn't exist yet in 1979, but James Bailey was the 6th pick in the first round so he might still be considered a lottery pick by some.) Again, sorry if I misunderstood.
The original post was about recruits. Mentioning that you made the final four in 1976 or that you had a first-round pick in 1979 would not be positive. If limiting it to stuff since 1980 is "fairly recent" than yes, I'd say stick to things your recruits care about when you speak with them.

Reactions: RU-05
But later Say-Say said he switched for purely 'academic' reasons implying State Penn was the better academic school.🤡
An article I pulled up says he mentioned that PU would be better for his professional ambitions, may have been other reasons also

"Be a part of of the first team to go to the sweet sixteen this century."

Reactions: MiloTalon13
An article I pulled up says he mentioned that PU would be better for his professional ambitions, may have been other reasons also
PSU was obviously better for his professional ambitions than if he was a part of the Flood dumpsterfire downward spiral into the toilet

I mean I HATE PSU, but he was right. It was a good decision for him

I guess you could argue saquan could have helped turn things around and save Flood but that seems hopeful

PSU was obviously better for his professional ambitions than if he was a part of the Flood dumpsterfire downward spiral into the toilet

I mean I HATE PSU, but he was right. It was a good decision for him

I guess you could argue saquan could have helped turn things around and save Flood but that seems hopeful
The shame of it was that we were the team he followed and became his dream school
Flood must have mishandled the recruiting season and we lost him and double digit commits

The original post was about recruits. Mentioning that you made the final four in 1976 or that you had a first-round pick in 1979 would not be positive. If limiting it to stuff since 1980 is "fairly recent" than yes, I'd say stick to things your recruits care about when you speak with them.
But Milo, I didn't mention anything about what we should or shouldn't tell recruits, or that we should or shouldn't tell them about Bailey, Hinson, Douby, the 1976 team, etc.

Your original post suggested that we could still lure recruits by telling them they could be the first at RU in several categories, but since you didn't initially specify any time frame or specify "limiting it to stuff since 1980" like you later replied above, several of your "firsts" required additional clarification to be correct... (And based on your reply above that you intended to limit it to stuff since 1980, Roy Hinson was a first round pick in 1983, and Quincy Douby was a first round pick in 2006.)

For reference, your post was as follows,

....there are a lot of firsts left.
First team to win the Big Ten, first team to get to the second weekend, first elite 8, first FF, first National Championship, first first-round pick, first lottery pick etc."

So I agree, stick to things recruits care about when you speak with them, but be accurate with what we tell them. You can't lure them with possibly being RU's first first-round draft pick, etc, when there were 3 before them, most recently in 2006. Russ' mention of "Be a part of the first team to go to the sweet sixteen this century" for example, was accurate as written and didn't require any clarification to be correct. That's all I was trying to say.

I wonder how important that actually is to Top 10-20 5 star recruits.
They literally step on campus with one foot in the NBA already.

I would guess (completely uninformed) that being a popular and currently winning school (more media attention) is a bigger draw than “you’ll be a legend on campus”.
It’s not like these people are getting too attached and spending years on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT