ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Defense against Michigan State was fine. Our cold shooting cost us the game. As coach, what would you do differently in this game?

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013
Rutgers Defense against Michigan State was fine. (Forced to take shots before the shot clock ran out).
Our cold shooting cost us the game.

As coach, what would you do differently in this game?

Michigan State made several last second 3-point shots...worth approximately 21-points...12 for 22.
Rutgers was only 2-17 in 3-pointers.

Rutgers Defense against Michigan State was fine. (Forced to take shots before the shot clock ran out).

Michigan State made several last second 3-point shots...worth approximately 21-points...12 for 22.
I would tell my players to make their shots at the higher percentage and to stop the opponent from making their shots at such a high percentage. Pike did not do this! This is why we lost the game! Does Steve Pikiell understand that if the other team scores more points than we do we will lose??? If so, why didn't he stop it!

Also one time he took a player out of the game and put another player into the game and that other player wasn't as good. I do not like this! I think I will write coach an email explaining the proper substitution patters (no subs, ldo) and the proper shooting strategy (make them, ldo) as I am not sure coach understands these concepts.

The defense allowed 70 points which is not fine ,It was caused by poor defensive switches allowing wide open 3 point shots.Failure to utilize the full court press also allowed Michigan State additional time to run half court offense.

On offense the poor three point shooting was the main culprit.followd by the absence of bench scoring.I think the starters are getting tired which has impacted their performance.This might be the reason Pikiell has cut back on use of full court press.

You have to wonder if part of this is just a function of our short bench and fatigue. You are asking 5 guys to play intense defense, press, and do it for over 30 minutes a game. Last night there were several moments where players just did not rotate.

Reactions: RCBeta79
D was not fine...it was uninspired.
lol
The defense allowed 70 points which is not fine ,It was caused by poor defensive switches allowing wide open 3 point shots.Failure to utilize the full court press also allowed Michigan State additional time to run half court offense.

On offense the poor three point shooting was the main culprit.followd by the absence of bench scoring.I think the starters are getting tired which has impacted their performance.This might be the reason Pikiell has cut back on use of full court press.
lol

I would tell my players to make their shots at the higher percentage and to stop the opponent from making their shots at such a high percentage. Pike did not do this! This is why we lost the game! Does Steve Pikiell understand that if the other team scores more points than we do we will lose??? If so, why didn't he stop it!

Also one time he took a player out of the game and put another player into the game and that other player wasn't as good. I do not like this! I think I will write coach an email explaining the proper substitution patters (no subs, ldo) and the proper shooting strategy (make them, ldo) as I am not sure coach understands these concepts.
In the huddle, Pike should have every player put their hands in, and on the count of three, everyone raises their hands and shouts, “Make more shots!” before breaking the huddle and heading onto the floor.

Works like a charm, believe me.

The D was not fine.
Yes, there were times where it was suffocating (the first 10 minutes), but overall MSU was very comfortable shooting the three.
They got a lot of open looks.
We’re more than willing to give teams those looks. Sometimes it will bites us in the ass and sometimes it won’t.
Yesterday sucked

Reactions: runner3283
I would guess (without looking at stats for sure) that Cliff took more “hook shots” and Caleb McConnell more 3s last night than any game this year. Both of those things they have to be less than 10/15% on for the season. If you take the majority of those shots and instead tell Paul to drive inside and do his footwork magic/get fouled, it’s probably a different ball game with 2 mins left. We did more of our worst things in 1 game than we have all year

I agree it wasn't our best D, overall, but most teams don't go 12-22 from deep even if there is no other team on the floor and we normally won't go 1-16 (not counting Cam's meaningless trey at the end) even if Cliff is shooting all of them. Having both of these low probability events occur during the same game leads to 70-57. It happens - had very little to do with coaching.

I agree it wasn't our best D, overall, but most teams don't go 12-22 from deep even if there is no other team on the floor and we normally won't go 1-16 (not counting Cam's meaningless trey at the end) even if Cliff is shooting all of them. Having both of these low probability events occur during the same game leads to 70-57. It happens - had very little to do with coaching.
This is exactly right. The game simply came down to 3 point shooting. They made alot, we missed alot. Wide open 3s....Move on to the next game

D was not fine...it was uninspired.

Yea the Defense held Mich St. to 70 points on the road…and 12 + of those points were on long range threes towards the end of the shot clock.

But they played uninspired!

99% of your posts and threads are so damn negative.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I would guess (without looking at stats for sure) that Cliff took more “hook shots” and Caleb McConnell more 3s last night than any game this year. Both of those things they have to be less than 10/15% on for the season. If you take the majority of those shots and instead tell Paul to drive inside and do his footwork magic/get fouled, it’s probably a different ball game with 2 mins left. We did more of our worst things in 1 game than we have all year

On a night when our shots weren’t falling I would have tried to get Paul more involved and aggressive in the lane.

Defense is a factor! It affects lots of things! It doesn't have that much effect on 3 point percentage.

On a night when our shots weren’t falling I would have tried to get Paul more involved and aggressive in the lane.

we did for a while and he was successful but then we stopped and Paul was getting a breather at a critical time unfortunately and Derek shot on 3 straight possessions. I think part of the problem was that Sparty was having so much success shooting the ball that there were very little transition opportunities and RU forced into half court play

Eddie Jordan, is that you?
If Eddie Jordan understood this stuff, more power to him. I'm pretty confident Pike understands it which is why people keep saying he will "tweak the defense" every time some opponent goes off from three (which will happen periodically) and he keeps not doing that because he actually understands what he is doing.

Listen to Izzo' s and Pike's press conferences and not the pseudo experts on these boards and you'll get real insight why we lost.

Rutgers was only 2-17 in 3-pointers..
There is going to be little margin for error with this team. If the shooting dips below pedestrian and becomes bad, they will lose games like this. 12 for 22 vs 2 for 17 is tough math to overcome. Fortunately, the teams in the B1G aren't exactly the 2017 Warriors when it comes to shooting. Or offense in general.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

You always need to have better players to substitute for who is in the game. Always. Like when I walked uphill to school both ways as a kid

Listen to Izzo' s and Pike's press conferences and not the pseudo experts on these boards and you'll get real insight why we lost.
Was Izzo's postgame posted here? I didn't see it, though I can't say I feel much urge to watch it now anyways.

Defense was fine, tbh. 62 points through 38 minutes isn't bad defense (pretty close to the # of points scored by NW and Purdue in the same time) - and they hit 2 threes and 2 FTs in the final 2 minutes as we started taking a lot more gambles in the final 2 minutes.

Yes, MSU got some open looks from three... but so did we. Difference was they knocked them down and we didn't. Hyatt and Hoggart are both 30% shooters from the arc.... Hyatt went 0-3 and Hoggart went 3-5. Walker/Hauser are both 41-42%.... and they combined for 6-9; while Spencer is 44% and shot 1-8.

MSU got hot from the arc on a night we were cold... and that was pretty much the story of the game. MSU also mostly hit their layups, while we missed more than a couple.

Can't go that cold on the road in the B1G and hope to win... but combine that with an uncharacteristically good shooting night for MSU, and it was a bad recipe.

If Hyatt/Spencer combined for just 3-11 (27% - a poor shooting night for the two of them) and Walker/Hauser/Hoggart combined for 7/14 (50%... a good shooting night for the 3 of them)... it would have been a 1 point game. But they shot the lights out and we seemed to be shooting in the dark.

They took several shots we want them taking (e.g., Hoggart taking a deep three as the clock expired), but they hit them. We also took several shots we want to take (e.g., wide open threes, Spencer with a dribble step to the left), but missed them.

Not always easy to point clearly to a single stat that was the story of the game... but this game was pretty clear cut.

Exactly!

Its a pretty simple formula. RU's defensive strategy is predicated on teams not shooting well from the arc because those shots are always available. If they are hitting those open shots things wont go well for the Knights as they don't have the firepower to match that. In recent games Iowa and MSU were hitting their shots.

I’m not willing to let the defense off that easy. Yes MSU hit their shots, but a lot of them were open, calm, in-rhythm uncontested shots. To a certain extent, we got out-schemed. It’s one piece of the puzzle (not everything). Obviously Cam isn’t going 1-10 all the time.

It happens. We’re a good team with a good coach. We move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
I’m not willing to let the defense off that easy. Yes MSU hit their shots, but a lot of them were open, calm, in-rhythm uncontested shots. To a certain extent, we got out-schemed. It’s one piece of the puzzle (not everything). Obviously Cam isn’t going 1-10 all the time.

It happens. We’re a good team with a good coach. We move on.

Even with that, though, they hit them at a high rate. If they'd missed just 2 of them (going 10-22 for .454) , we hold them to 64 points and everyone would again be talking about our defense being solid and our offense struggling (story of the season).

This was their best 3P shooting game of the season (.545 making 12 of 22 attempts). They had one game with a higher % (.571 making 9 of 14 attempts) and one game with more made 3P (.520 making 13 of 25 attempts).

They are 8-0 when shooting better than .365.... and 5-6 when shooting under that.
We are 7-0 when shooting better than .333.... and 6-6 when shooting under that.

Coming up is Penn State, who is 9-0 when shooting better than .400.... and 3-6 when shooting under that. Seems they need threes to fall to be competitive.

not much we could have done.

They lit it up from the 3s and we shot blanks.
we contested alot of their shots too, but they were still making them.

all other things that could of been changed or done differently are all sub reasons why we lost.

I know Cliff is good, BUT, I'M SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THE MISSED LAYUP SHOTS, CMON MAN !!!

ADVERTISEMENT