ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football: Back to the Birthplace Game

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (June 7, 2022) – Rutgers football looks forward to welcoming its fans for the “Back to the Birthplace Game” Sept. 10 at SHI Stadium versus Wagner. The “Back to the Birthplace Game” is the first of six themes throughout the 2022 season. The game is set to start at 4 p.m., as all New Jersey Football Day youth participants will be invited to take part in the pregame parade on Scarlet Knight Way leading up to the pregame pep rally at 1:30 p.m. All fans are encouraged to wear red.

Giveaways for the “Back to the Birthplace Game” include posters at the special guest autograph booths, “Beat Wagner” buttons, shakers and miniature Birthplace statues, which will be given out at the pregame pep rally. As part of the “Back to the Birthplace Game” celebration, all fans are invited to a pregame food truck festival along the Rutgers Boardwalk being held on Scarlet Knight Way beginning at noon, and a postgame firework show to celebrate the home opener. Festivities inside the stadium will include a pregame flyover, performances by the Marching Scarlet Knights, the national champion Rutgers Spirit Squad, plus special guests and giveaways throughout the game.

Exclusive “Back to the Birthplace Game” shirts will also be made available to purchase, with more information coming soon.

Season tickets are on sale for the full six-game home slate at SHI Stadium this fall, which features five Big Ten opponents. Click here for more information on season tickets and to purchase. For each season ticket purchased, fans receive a free exclusive season ticket holder t-shirt. Also, season ticket holders will receive two free extra tickets to the “Back to the Birthplace Game” against Wagner, with a promotional code link being sent out.

Further game themes, promotions and fan experience enhancements will be announced in June and July. Single-game tickets will be available to purchase starting July 19.

Rutgers is the “Birthplace of College Football,” defeating Princeton, 6-4, in the first game on Nov. 6, 1869. The historic contest took place on a plot of ground where the present-day College Avenue Gymnasium now stands in New Brunswick.

2022 Rutgers Football Home Schedule

Sept. 10 (Back to the Birthplace Game) vs. Wagner (4 p.m., Big Ten Network)

Sept. 24 vs. Iowa

Oct. 7 (Friday) vs. Nebraska (7 p.m., FS1)

Oct. 22 (Homecoming) vs. Indiana (Noon)

Nov. 5 vs. Michigan

Nov. 19 vs. Penn State

I think we finally made the Big Time!
Every game should be a event!
We used to take our pop Warner teams to youth football day. For some it was the only opportunity they ever had to see a Rutgers Football game. They had a blast!
Curious to see how they market the other games.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I give the marketing department credit for trying to bring some fan interest to what probably is the lamest opponent we have faced in 50 years.

wagner isn’t any more or less lame than Howard , Norfolk St, Delaware, Umass, New Hampshire, Monmouth, etc

and don’t tell me the HSBU bands are worth the game or that the local flare means anything. These games are all just paycheck scrimmages essentially (hopefully)

Wait, we're playing this game in the maternity ward at Robert Wood Johnson?
baby steps Spank, just baby steps
huthuthikegp-1_large.jpg

Reading the copy makes it sound like we got a college football game on that date.

Nice job, RU Marketing.👍

wagner isn’t any more or less lame than Howard , Norfolk St, Delaware, Umass, New Hampshire, Monmouth, etc

and don’t tell me the HSBU bands are worth the game or that the local flare means anything. These games are all just paycheck scrimmages essentially (hopefully)
Not true at all. I am so tired of people comparing Wagner on what is a very bad 20 game losing streak to NH who finished the season 10-3 and went to the playoffs. This Wagner program would literally have trouble winning games at the Div 3 level, in fact they would be destroyed by the upper tier teams in that division. And yes, sorry, at least with the MEAC teams the fans get to enjoy the bands. If you take children to these games you would understand the value of at least having an entertaining halftime even if the competition on the field stinks.

Reactions: rurichdog
Not true at all. I am so tired of people comparing Wagner on what is a very bad 20 game losing streak to NH who finished the season 10-3 and went to the playoffs. This Wagner program would literally have trouble winning games at the Div 3 level, in fact they would be destroyed by the upper tier teams in that division. And yes, sorry, at least with the MEAC teams the fans get to enjoy the bands. If you take children to these games you would understand the value of at least having an entertaining halftime even if the competition on the field stinks.
Towards the end even their bands didn’t come so yeah, in that case it is almost the same.

Well, the “annual” war before the shore wasn’t long lived was it.

The "war before the shore" was supposed to be about a game on the Friday night of LDW. Unfortunately, the B1G hasn't given us that game in awhile

The "war before the shore" was supposed to be about a game on the Friday night of LDW. Unfortunately, the B1G hasn't given us that game in awhile
Yes . But it was a very bad job by rutgers marketing dubbing it an “annual” event . Because it was never going to be annual it seemed. Eventually we were going to open on the road or on a home
Saturday . Not sure why rutgers called it an annual thing.

Reactions: Local Shill
Yes . But it was a very bad job by rutgers marketing dubbing it an “annual” event . Because it was never going to be annual it seemed. Eventually we were going to open on the road or on a home

Maybe they were hoping to get that game every year but the B1G had other ideas?🤷‍♀️

I believe you're the only one that remembers or cares.

I check the "no" box on both questions.

Reactions: scripts
You mean like the "annual" B1G rivalry finale game between Rutgers and Maryland which has been held once since the 2017 season?

You mean like the "annual" B1G rivalry finale game between Rutgers and Maryland which has been held once since the 2017 season?

I think you’re reading way too much into this. They seem to be branding the home opener nothing more. I never got the impression they were trying to create an annual thing. And psst.. you can still go to the shore throughout September. It’s still pretty damn nice.

They had "Beat ______" buttons for every home game last year. Not cringe worthy at all.
If we were hosting ucla or some program like that I can see it. But Wagner? I doubt anyone will be making, let alone wearing beat Western Michigan buttons in East Lansing on 9/2

If we were hosting ucla or some program like that I can see it. But Wagner? I doubt anyone will be making, let alone wearing beat Western Michigan buttons in East Lansing on 9/2
Honestly they are just trying to establish a theme and get people hyped for a lackluster game on the schedule. Nothing wrong with it in my view and not worth this level of criticism. Let’s face it, we’ll all be happy to back out there again regardless of opponent. As for UM, don’t care what they do. Biggest group of ahole fans on the planet.

Honestly they are just trying to establish a theme and get people hyped for a lackluster game on the schedule. Nothing wrong with it in my view and not worth this level of criticism. Let’s face it, we’ll all be happy to back out there again regardless of opponent. As for UM, don’t care what they do. Biggest group of ahole fans on the planet.

This

People in this board bitch about anything. I liked the pins last year & look forward to them again this year.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think you’re reading way too much into this. They seem to be branding the home opener nothing more. I never got the impression they were trying to create an annual thing. And psst.. you can still go to the shore throughout September. It’s still pretty damn nice.
Yes, they branded it as an annual thing . Calling it the “annual war before the shore.” That was intentional

Well look at that. Lowly Alabama stooping to Rutgers' level with Beat Mercer (FCS) and Beat New Mexico State buttons in 2021. They should shut the program down.

I isee a little silhouetto of a fan. . . .

il_794xN.2871572299_fb26.jpg

It's hard to get excited about Wagner as anything more than a glorified scrimmage. I hope we stay healthy.

Should be “local day” or something like that.

Invite beer and food vendors from NY and NJ and make it all about the region.

ADVERTISEMENT