ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football linebacker Khayri Banton in portal

One of the players I was concerned with losing. Buckle up, this will show the extent of the damage with PFP.

Good luck to him. It will be interesting to see who purchased him for LB.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Not worried about replacing anyone who has entered so far. It will be telling if we can hold onto the 2 lb’s and rb that were injured this year.

no one is purchasing a dude who didn’t play his first 2 seasons, injuries or not.
I disagree. If they scouted him in HS and think he is likely to make a full recovery, they most certainly would.

Also consider Rutgers is underfunded. As such I'm sure he is a lot cheaper than your average 4 🌟 youngster on an SEC team for instance.

Where would he be on the depth chart next year? Would he see much playing time? He is no way a starter

Reactions: TRU2RU
Not worried about replacing anyone who has entered so far. It will be telling if we can hold onto the 2 lb’s and rb that were injured this year.
Agree - Lots of time left but no devastating news out of the gate.
I'll consider this whole process a success if we don't lose any starters and pick up a few pieces at key positions.

Going back, before he got hurt, there were those that thought he could possibly start.

Now programs with money are not just buying readymade starters, they are buying depth, which may turn out to be starters.

I disagree. If they scouted him in HS and think he is likely to make a full recovery, they most certainly would.

Also consider Rutgers is underfunded. As such I'm sure he is a lot cheaper than your average 4 🌟 youngster on an SEC team for instance.
bro he probably would’ve been a back up EDGE guy at RUTGERS next year if we still have Lewis, Bailey, and get Toure back. I don’t think Power 5s are throwing money at guys like that.

This was a guy that I thought had a world of potential. But of course we know next to nothing about his injuries.
I was really excited for him. I do not know much about his recovery. I know the injury was BAD. Maybe he needs a fresh mental start.

Reactions: Kbee3
a MASS exodus should have started already. Doesn't mean there won't be pain involved.

Several teams have multi-year starters, massively successful QBs in the portal. Guys who those programs are built around and are already seeing a high level of success.

If those teams and players are seeing transfers , then we sure as heck will.

I think every single team is going to lose key guys and starters.

It’s a wild wild new world. Feel bad for the coaches and players who want to be loyal. This is basically pickup style ball now.

Gotta wonder where these guys will end up considering they didn‘t contribute much on a team that really struggled.

Reactions: Ash_Hole
The sky is falling! Screw the greedy kids. Only a handful will be pro quality., I don’t care what sub a19 yr old eats

Gotta wonder where these guys will end up considering they didn‘t contribute much on a team that really struggled.
Some will go down a level. Some will go to smaller schools. Some will hook back up with coaches who recruited them.

Reactions: Kbee3 and B0ski
Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

Several teams have multi-year starters, massively successful QBs in the portal. Guys who those programs are built around and are already seeing a high level of success.

If those teams and players are seeing transfers , then we sure as heck will.

I think every single team is going to lose key guys and starters.

It’s a wild wild new world. Feel bad for the coaches and players who want to be loyal. This is basically pickup style ball now.

I did not say NO transfers, as there are obviously already transfers. I said a MASS transfer would have already started.

He’s hasn’t logged ONE STAT and predictably the “sky is falling” crew are freaking out

Relax.

There’s no telling what kind of player he’d be after injury. Some program may take a chance on him, but his best bet was probably staying in a system he was familiar with and with a coach known for developing LB talent

Let him get a fresh start. Schiano’s a marksman at finding talent at LB and will get someone great with the spot

Let's just wait for the next Rutgers recruit who was so sought after, as a 4 🌟. I think it could take awhile in this paradigm. Besides losing players is not how you build depth.

Last edited:
Let's just wait for the next Rutgers recruit who was so sought, as a 4 🌟. I think it could take awhile in this paradigm. Besides losing players is not how you build depth.
Deion Jennings was barely a 3 star. Only other decent offer was Temple.

And he’s one of the best Rutgers LBs I’ve seen in a long time.

87 tackles and got better and better each game. Schiano just knows how to develop hard-working LBs

AND he just won the teams’s MOST VALUABLE PLAYER award

Stars are overrated.

We also have studs Moses Walker, Mohamed Toure and Tyreem Powell likely returning

87 tackles and got better and better each game. Schiano just knows how to develop hard-working LBs

Stars are overrated.

We also have studs Moses Walker, Mohamed Toure and Tyreem Powell likely returning
Yes, stats and stars can be over done. That said, unless the injury is worse than expected, and he may not play in the future, I think it would be foolhardy to have given him the talk. It is not like this year's class is filled with 4 🌟 and high 3 🌟. Another benefit of miscast NIL IMO.

Stars are overrated.

Need Walker and Anthony Johnson to stay

One of the players I was concerned with losing. Buckle up, this will show the extent of the damage with PFP.

Good luck to him. It will be interesting to see who purchased him for LB.
When you are passed on the depth chart at LB by a 3rd team RB time to move on.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
When you are passed on the depth chart at LB by a 3rd team RB time to move on.
I just don't think you do that, this early with a player who was a National recruit. It is not like his talent 🌟 ranking wise, is being matched in this recruiting cycle. Unless his injury is bad enough our doctor's will not clear him, he should not have been given the talk IMO. Especially when it would be "easy" to lose another player or 2 at his position in this new paradigm.

Reactions: runner3283
Did I miss something? Did he say he was forced out? Someone gave him the talk?

Aside from Rutgers, his only other visit (Rivals) was to Boston College
He was recruited by Hafley at Ohio St.

Stars are overrated.

I’m sorry but stars matter. Top recruits matter. Those are the guys that lead classes and get others on board.

Any time I see someone say star rankings don’t matter, I’ll simply remind them that Micah Parsons was a former 5*

Reactions: TM94goRU
I’m sorry but stars matter. Top recruits matter. Those are the guys that lead classes and get others on board.

Any time I see someone say star rankings don’t matter, I’ll simply remind them that Micah Parsons was a former 5*

Tons of 3/4* are "athletic" guys that don't have a true position. That's why a high number wash out.

Banton seems to fit this because he was used primarily as a DE in HS and was trying to shift to LB but getting passed by others for various reasons including the injuries.

End of the day production matters most and is what drives better recruits to your program.

Tons of 3/4* are "athletic" guys that don't have a true position. That's why a high number wash out.

Banton seems to fit this because he was used primarily as a DE in HS and was trying to shift to LB but getting passed by others for various reasons including the injuries.

End of the day production matters most and is what drives better recruits to your program.
Exactly why I used Parsons as an example… kid literally played every defensive position on the field for Harrisburg in HS, was used primarily as a DE though, got to Penn state, they decide to move him to Mike Linebacker where he had never played full time before, goes to the nfl and now is being used everywhere…. He’s already run away with the DPOY this year.

Good coaches maximize talent. We haven’t been bowling in 8 years. We need a new coach in the worst way

No one would have to break the bank with our money problems. I'm sure if it is NIL, he was a cheaper get than a LB/DE at pretty much any BIG10 or P5 program. All that school would need is a coach who liked him in HS, and thinks once he is healthy, they can get him to live up to his potential.

I think it is, because if there is some off the field issue, I don't believe it would have been kept quiet this long, unless it is injury related. Without naming names, I can find double-digit players who I would rather run off the team.

Edited because I screwed up where he went to HS. I was thinking of another player.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT