ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football linebacker Khayri Banton in portal

I do not count last years gator bowl as anything earned. We played in that game solely because the originally scheduled team got Covid. It’s ridiculous to see fans try to act like we actually earned that bowl birth. There was too much money in advertising to not allow it to be played. We show up and wake blew us off the field.

It still feels very strange to me talking about "purchasing kids". People don't even talk like this about NFL players.
If you follow English/European soccer it is the norm. Fans talk excessively over which team is buying which player from another team and whether they are worth the transfer fee. Who they want to buy and who is going after their players.

I’m sorry but stars matter. Top recruits matter. Those are the guys that lead classes and get others on board.

Any time I see someone say star rankings don’t matter, I’ll simply remind them that Micah Parsons was a former 5*
You’re just wrong in your blindly buying into stars.

Stars are based on a projection of what the athlete could be in college.

In his junior and senior years Banton put up good numbers with his hand in the dirt. He was projected as a linebacker in college.

He didn’t develop according to projections.

Happens all the time, just like 2* projected athletes and 3* projected athletes outperform 4* projected athletes.

Add in injuries and it’s a directional crapshoot.

Micah Parsons isn’t a good example. 5 stars are generally exceptional but even they flop from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Exactly why I used Parsons as an example… kid literally played every defensive position on the field for Harrisburg in HS, was used primarily as a DE though, got to Penn state, they decide to move him to Mike Linebacker where he had never played full time before, goes to the nfl and now is being used everywhere…. He’s already run away with the DPOY this year.

Good coaches maximize talent. We haven’t been bowling in 8 years. We need a new coach in the worst way
LMAO, you use one very extreme example and determine that RU needs a new coach. There's no point in continuing this conversation with that type of logic.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I’m sorry but stars matter. Top recruits matter. Those are the guys that lead classes and get others on board.

Any time I see someone say star rankings don’t matter, I’ll simply remind them that Micah Parsons was a former 5*
I agree. it's obviously easier to be more successful when you can recruit the most athletic and accomplished players out of high school, and if you can't, you need coaches who are good evaluators and developers of talent and great recruiters. (That's a general statement, and isn't intended to be critical of the RU staff.)

Interestingly, NFL first round draft choices who were ranked 3 stars or lower in high school include 14 out of 32 first round picks in the 2018 draft, 15 out of 32 in 2019, 11 of 32 in 2020, 13 of 32 in 2021, and 12 of 32 in 2022.

And NFL starting quarterbacks this season who were ranked 3 stars or lower coming out of high school include Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Zach Wilson, Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Kenny Pickett, Matt Ryan, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, Daniel Jones, Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke.

Last edited:
The idea that people are “buying” people that have not suited up is just crazy, plus you are not going to buy depth. If you have the resources you are going to “buy” proven experienced commodities that have clearly demonstrated their value on the field and they will be at positions of need. The other place coaches will spend money is in the poaching portal to insure they retain high value performers

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I agree. it's obviously easier to be more successful when you can recruit the most athletic and accomplished players out of high school, and if you can't, you need coaches who are good evaluators and developers of talent and great recruiters. (That's a general statement, and isn't intended to be critical of the RU staff.)

Interestingly, NFL first round draft choices who were ranked 3 stars or lower in high school include 14 out of 32 first round picks in the 2018 draft, 15 out of 32 in 2019, 11 of 32 in 2020, 13 of 32 in 2021, and 12 of 32 in 2022.

And NFL starting quarterbacks this season who were ranked 3 stars or lower coming out of high school include Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Zach Wilson, Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Kenny Pickett, Matt Ryan, Baker Mayfield, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, Daniel Jones, Carson Wentz and Taylor Heinicke.

AZBlues - the key metric you are missing is how many 3 stars sign/enroll to play college ball. There's probably 100 - 3 star recruits for every 4 and 5 star recruit (combined). So statistically speaking those numbers are what you would expect, no?

AZBlues - the key metric you are missing is how many 3 stars sign/enroll to play college ball. There's probably 100 - 3 star recruits for every 4 and 5 star recruit (combined). So statistically speaking those numbers are what you would expect, no?
You make a good point about the numbers. My intent was to show that more than a few successful NFL football players were 3 star recruits or lower.

And this is only one example of the numbers, but according to SBNation, Rivals football recruiting class of 2018 included 30 five star players, 380 four star players, and 1,328 three star players.

Tons of 3/4* are "athletic" guys that don't have a true position. That's why a high number wash out.

Banton seems to fit this because he was used primarily as a DE in HS and was trying to shift to LB but getting passed by others for various reasons including the injuries.

End of the day production matters most and is what drives better recruits to your program.
You are my favorite poster today.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Key word is "today" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
I get you confused with another poster who has RU 4 and LIFE in their screen name, and the two of you could not be more different. But seriously, your posts are calm, factual and rational. I don't ever recall seeing unhinged rants from you. I'm mister positive usually, but feeling salty after this cruddy season and the rudderless offense. I remain hopeful that if we get the right OC and right player development on offense, RU can field a functional offense. Hope the day an OC is named is soon.

I get you confused with another poster who has RU 4 and LIFE in their screen name, and the two of you could not be more different. But seriously, your posts are calm, factual and rational. I don't ever recall seeing unhinged rants from you. I'm mister positive usually, but feeling salty after this cruddy season and the rudderless offense. I remain hopeful that if we get the right OC and right player development on offense, RU can field a functional offense. Hope the day an OC is named is soon.
Haha, we were on opposite ends in one thread a few weeks back. You seemed none to happy with me then which is why I made that comment.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT