ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football OL Isaiah Wright enters the transfer portal

Damn I waw hoping this kid would be a big time contributor some day. Hope he finds success at his next school.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Is there a deadline after which players can no longer enter the portal? It seems like every day, someone else say's he's leaving. And once a player declares for the portal, can he then decide to stay or must he leave?

Thanks.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Is there a deadline after which players can no longer enter the portal? It seems like every day, someone else say's he's leaving. And once a player declares for the portal, can he then decide to stay or must he leave?

Thanks.
No, a player can enter his name whenever he wants. Some have done so mid-season. Some times are better than others, so they tend to cluster around offseason times between semesters and after spring practice when kids know coaches are looking to fill out rosters and such.
Technically, a player can take his name out of the portal, but it's up to the coach whether to continue his scholarship and let him stay on the team.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Between the transfers and highly rated 2022 recruits it got crowded in that room. Hope he sees a lot of playing time wherever he ends up.
I thought I read somewhere that we may need to reduce the size of the room by around 5-7 players in view of transfers and new blood coming in. I think it noted that the room should be in around the 16-18 people range. I may be wrong on that so if someone have more definitive data would be interesting to hear about.

No, a player can enter his name whenever he wants. Some have done so mid-season. Some times are better than others, so they tend to cluster around offseason times between semesters and after spring practice when kids know coaches are looking to fill out rosters and such.
Technically, a player can take his name out of the portal, but it's up to the coach whether to continue his scholarship and let him stay on the team.
All Fall and winter sport athletes had until yesterday to submit transfer portal paperwork to their respective compliance departments in order to be eligible to play during the upcoming 2022-2023 season at a new school. Schools then have up to two days to process that paperwork and officially enter players into the portal.

Reactions: PaKnight
Thanks to those who have replied. So there is a deadline of sorts for those intending to play the following season at their new school (without sitting out a year). But otherwise, no real deadline.

Coaches have a lot at stake in all of this. On the one hand, they probably encourage those who have little chance to play the following year to free up his scholarship. But on the other hand, if a top player entered the portal, would the coach likely save the scholarship until he knew for sure that the player would actually transfer?

As for the student-athletes, there is certainly more flexibility but also a lot more risk in this system. There was an article discussed in another thread on this board recently that provided statistics about the surprisingly large (to me) number of people in the portal who end up with no scholarship for the following year.

Collectively, all of this seems to bring a lot of instability to the sport. And it applies to all sports, correct? Not just to football and basketball.

Buffalo makes sense for transfers from RU. He most likely increase his chances of starting at least 2x. And players from Buffalo still get solids looks from the NFL.
What I never understand or when I feel a kid makes a bad choice is if they drop down to a school for playing time and that school never puts a kid in the NFL and is lower academically than Rutgers.

Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT