ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football opens as 3.5-point favorites versus Washington

While many of us were scratching our heads over the VT spread, this one sounds about right.
What’s remarkable is that these games all come down to half a dozen, individual plays that could really go either way if you simulated the game 100 times

Reactions: RU8444
Washington .... Decent D, crappy O-line. Cross-country trip on a short week in what will be a raucous environment.

I think this one starts out like the VT game but we actually step on their necks this time

27-10 RU
This.
Secondary bounces back with better coverage/ wrap up tackling and Powell shakes off rust .
RU RB’s go for 200 Yards +

Reactions: Kbee3
i would not bet on this game. our home record against B1G is not good.
I wouldn’t bet on any game, but I don’t like to gamble, at least not with money.

With the next game, and the rest of the schedule, I think a lot will come down to matchups and a fair amount of luck. And that’s not really a bad place to be, as a team. We’re nowhere near elite. But we seem like we might be broadly competitive.

We have a legitimate shot to win any of the games, IMO. But we can also lose any of the games pretty easily too. Makes the season pretty exciting.

Reactions: wheezer and shields
I would not have expected that we'd be favored. Maybe, if we wound up beating VT by a few TDs. But, actually, Washington beat a crummy Northwestern team, convincingly. So, maybe it is a wash.

31-24 Rutgers wins. We give up a late score to make it 31-24 We run the ball well, and force another two turnovers On defense. We also record two sacks.
defense thrives off the energy of the night

Reactions: TRU2RU and Kbee3
I think taking RU would be a safe bet. Playing at home in the evening is a big advantage and Washington has to be feeling a little warn down from their traveling.

Yes and their QB is bad and they don’t have a KM or Samuel Brown.
True. Nobody on Washington has those names. Virginia Tech doesn’t either but their guy with a different name gashed us for 8 yards a carry, a buck twenty and 3 TDs.

Washington has good players too. They didn’t all leave the program after the title game.

While many of us were scratching our heads over the VT spread, this one sounds about right.
This. If the VT game played out like it should have RU wins by 17.
Friday night will be electric and mistakes will be minimal. RU wins by 10.

I would not have expected that we'd be favored. Maybe, if we wound up beating VT by a few TDs. But, actually, Washington beat a crummy Northwestern team, convincingly. So, maybe it is a wash.
Vegas knows we should’ve beat VT by at least 2 TDs. Final score of our game was misleading.

True. Nobody on Washington has those names. Virginia Tech doesn’t either but their guy with a different name gashed us for 8 yards a carry, a buck twenty and 3 TDs.

Washington has good players too. They didn’t all leave the program after the title game.

It’s a fair point. FWIW though, I don’t take much away from Washington (or any BIG team) holding NW to 5 points one way or the other. I watched the Duke game and I found myself thinking that I’d probably take Wimsatt over NW’s QB - he seems like a pocket passer version of Gavin. A little more accurate possibly (because it doesn’t take much on that) but same kind of issues with the shorts and making adjustments when the play call breaks down.

It’s a fair point. FWIW though, I don’t take much away from Washington (or any BIG team) holding NW to 5 points one way or the other. I watched the Duke game and I found myself thinking that I’d probably take Wimsatt over NW’s QB - he seems like a pocket passer version of Gavin. A little more accurate possibly (because it doesn’t take much on that) but same kind of issues with the shorts and making adjustments when the play call breaks down.
I think NW was also missing their leading rusher and have injuries on the OL too. Their offense is a mess. They only got down inside the 5 the one time because of a kick return.

Husky fans' general assessment of themselves:

Offense: Meh. Some nice plays but a lot of bad ones too. A lot of bad snaps. Offensive line is a year or two away

Defense: very good

Special Teams: turrible

I think NW was also missing their leading rusher and have injuries on the OL too. Their offense is a mess. They only got down inside the 5 the one time because of a kick return.

Husky fans' general assessment of themselves:

Offense: Meh. Some nice plays but a lot of bad ones too. A lot of bad snaps. Offensive line is a year or two away

Defense: very good

Special Teams: turrible
greg is very concerned about their D

We open as favorites against a team that played for the natty last year. I totally saw this coming.
I hear you. Not sure if true or not, but I read somewhere UW only returns 2 starters from last year (combined on O, D, ST). Regardless, I watched their game vs Weber State and they look incredibly fast and dangerous.

I hear you. Not sure if true or not, but I read somewhere UW only returns 2 starters from last year (combined on O, D, ST). Regardless, I watched their game vs Weber State and they look incredibly fast and dangerous.
either way this is not the game to storm the field . get it right rutgers fans.

Reactions: wheezer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT