ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers funding in jeopardy because of mass migration out of NJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Numbers still linking NY Times stuff?

Call him out too if you're against FAR right or left "stuff"
Proud, you should move to Texas. It might be easier for you to find a job down there since all the jobs are drying up in NYC and New Jersey. Are you thinking about moving? The girls are hotter in Texas. You don’t have anything keeping you in New Jersey.

Cost of living is low and your apartment rent is nothing compared to NJ.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I know an engineer in the Transit Authority. There is an unwritten rule that whenever someone in their department would be close to retirement, they would punch that person in and out so that the hours that person worked would be artificially inflated. Retirement pension is calculated off the last three years of salary. So it is not unusual for people making 70k to end up with 120k as their retirement money. The way they justify it is that they were underpaid compared to corporate, so it's sorta like payback time, so to speak. From what I understand this is common practice in many branches of the NJ Govt. Of course wherever they can get away with it.

Called pension spiking and is even recognized by the left as a problem. But nothing is done about it.

I know an engineer in the Transit Authority. There is an unwritten rule that whenever someone in their department would be close to retirement, they would punch that person in and out so that the hours that person worked would be artificially inflated. Retirement pension is calculated off the last three years of salary. So it is not unusual for people making 70k to end up with 120k as their retirement money. The way they justify it is that they were underpaid compared to corporate, so it's sorta like payback time, so to speak. From what I understand this is common practice in many branches of the NJ Govt. Of course wherever they can get away with it.
That's exactly what I was talking about. Those people didn't contribute their "fair share" of 120,000. They didn't even contribute their fair share of 70,000. Their average working salary was probably 50-60,000 and a percentage of that was withheld from their checks.

Make the change to paying pensions on the average salary and I bet it would have a huge impact on state finances.

Reactions: hankee18 and RU2131
The theory that states like NY, NJ, and CA are subsidizing poor states has been debunked. When NY did their calculation, they included things like military bases as being contributions to poor states. Plus, as has been pointed out in this thread, older people are forced to leave NY/NJ for economic reasons and their social security/medicare payments are counted as contributions to the new state. How many public servants retire and take their pensions down south? They don't want to pay the exorbitant taxes here. Finally, replacing retirees with younger families increases the number of students in our schools which drive up costs.
Most claims about the economic activity in individual states are faulty. For example, CA people like to trot out the idea that they have the world's 5th biggest economy. Well, tech companies like Apple and Google that make money in all 50 states book all of their revenue in CA because they are headquartered there. That doesn't mean that economic activity wouldn't happen if CA didn't exist, it would just be credited to a different state.

Last edited:

You may know him but for NJ pensions overtime does not count for the pension

Reactions: TRU2RU
They're moving from California. And not necessarily to Portland.
That’s the problem, eventually the democrats get tired of the horrible democrat policies and move to nice, safe, republican run states. The problem is they bring their horrible democrat, bleeding heart liberal politics with them and they begin to ruin the place they moved to.
case in point, I grew up in a beautiful bucolic town in north NJ that had been run by Republicans for over 100 years. Because of NYC libs escaping from NYC after 9/11. For the first time democrats control the entire town council. It is amazing how much damage they have done in less than four years. It’s like they purposely go out of their way to turn things to shit.

Meanwhile in north and central jersey the real estate market is as crazy as anyone has ever seen. Houses get listed and are gone after only a few days over ask. I guess phantoms are moving in?

Proud, you should move to Texas. It might be easier for you to find a job down there since all the jobs are drying up in NYC and New Jersey. Are you thinking about moving? The girls are hotter in Texas. You don’t have anything keeping you in New Jersey.

Cost of living is low and your apartment rent is nothing compared to NJ.

Depends on where in Texas, I'd go far away from Austin, Dallas, Houston.

I lived in Mississippi for a little while, loved the South

I would consider rural areas of Alabama , Arkansas, Tennessee, WV, even Mississippi again but that didn't end well

You may know him but for NJ pensions overtime does not count for the pension

Even if it does not count for pension purposes, this is stealing. We all should be horrified that this goes on. I know that it is rampant at the MTA/LIRR. They put in new technology to attempt to prevent it and the workers damaged it. Just trust us I suppose.

Not at all

Stop trying to shut down sources of info
The fact of the matter as has been pointed out by numerous posters and can be seen by anyone with a shred of common sense is that the real estate market in NJ is hot. People leave states for different reasons. Obviously people are still coming to NJ, or else there would not be bidding wars for homes in NJ.

LOL. Stay in your echo chamber with your nutjob OP buddy.
Have a nice day.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Even if it does not count for pension purposes, this is stealing. We all should be horrified that this goes on. I know that it is rampant at the MTA/LIRR. They put in new technology to attempt to prevent it and the workers damaged it. Just trust us I suppose.

I agree it is stealing.

I also think people should know what they are talking about before they make claims about something

From the NJ pension website-

Pensionable Salary — Your contribution rate is applied to your base salary to determine pension deductions. Base salary does not include overtime, bonuses, or large increases in compensation paid primarily in anticipation of retirement.

BTW this is a good synopsis of NJ’s pension crises. It’s too late for NJ we will be filing bankruptcy sometime around 2025. Trenton had decades to deal with This issue when if the democrats could get their heads out of their asses could have been done with minimal damage to the workers now it’s going to be a disaster.

You think people are moving because of the Gas tax think again. Its basically a $2.00 a week bump if you figure in one tank a week.

Its annoying that it keeps going up and the state actually needs to figure out a way to make folks who drive electric or hybrid cars pay for their upkeep for use of highways. That will happen when these cars are priced the same as conventional vehicles.

For many years, people used the low cost of gas in NJ as a reason why it is better to not have self-serve gas. Now that the price of gas is going up due to the new taxes, that explanation goes away. Can we now have self-serve gas !!! It’s much quicker and easier and more efficient.

I am not going to click on the article because I don't want zero hedge in my history but do they really even mention Rutgers funding or did the OP make that up?
OP is a nutjob and why he is allowed to post such nonsense here on a continuous basis is ridiculous.

Since many here love whataboutisms:
This thread title reminds me of a conversation I overheard last night that the CDC revised their numbers on covid-19 and there are only about 10,000 deaths due to covid-19. Where do people get these whacky ideas from? Are they all living in the same echo chamber?

That’s the problem, eventually the democrats get tired of the horrible democrat policies and move to nice, safe, republican run states. The problem is they bring their horrible democrat, bleeding heart liberal politics with them and they begin to ruin the place they moved to.
case in point, I grew up in a beautiful bucolic town in north NJ that had been run by Republicans for over 100 years. Because of NYC libs escaping from NYC after 9/11. For the first time democrats control the entire town council. It is amazing how much damage they have done in less than four years. It’s like they purposely go out of their way to turn things to shit.
I moved to the Lehigh Valley about 20 years ago. It was quiet for about 5 years then the housing boom led to a ton of construction and a huge increase in people moving here from NY/NJ. Since then, it has gotten more and more like NJ here and my property taxes have gone from 4000 to 11000.

I moved to the Lehigh Valley about 20 years ago. It was quiet for about 5 years then the housing boom led to a ton of construction and a huge increase in people moving here from NY/NJ. Since then, it has gotten more and more like NJ here and my property taxes have gone from 4000 to 11000.
So if I hear you correctly, Democrats are like a cancer! LOL!

I agree it is stealing.

I also think people should know what they are talking about before they make claims about something

From the NJ pension website-

Pensionable Salary — Your contribution rate is applied to your base salary to determine pension deductions. Base salary does not include overtime, bonuses, or large increases in compensation paid primarily in anticipation of retirement.
That still doesn’t explain why the pension should be paid on the highest base salaries instead of an average of the base salaries from the person’s working career (because that is how their contributions came in).

Lots of "commissions" too that could be gotten rid of. Everyone on these commissions gets a car, benefits and pensions. My dad worked at Wanaque reservoir for his entire life and had to deal with the "north jersey district water commission" He always said they were all political appointees that met once a month, screwed things up because they had no idea what was going on but collected all kinds of perks and bonuses along w/ cars, salaries and benefits.

Of course. While teachers, cops and firemen get s#it on.

And of course the NJ real estate market is hot. Because as much as NJ sucks, NY sucks 10x more. New Yorkers need somewhere to go too.

Reactions: RU-AGK
The fact of the matter as has been pointed out by numerous posters and can be seen by anyone with a shred of common sense is that the real estate market in NJ is hot. People leave states for different reasons. Obviously people are still coming to NJ, or else there would not be bidding wars for homes in NJ.

LOL. Stay in your echo chamber with your nutjob OP buddy.
Have a nice day.

If there wasn't such a mass exodus out if NYC that wouldn't be the case. The bennies are your full time neighbors now😄

Really tell us specifically what you would cut? I'm sure there are some places but it would be cutting around the edges.

So tell us what Gov Skinny would cut
They could start by offering Bronze healthcare plans instead of Gold Plans to all State employees.

BTW this is a good synopsis of NJ’s pension crises. It’s too late for NJ we will be filing bankruptcy sometime around 2025. Trenton had decades to deal with This issue when if the democrats could get their heads out of their asses could have been done with minimal damage to the workers now it’s going to be a disaster.
No we will not
States cannot file bankruptcy

Reactions: TRU2RU
They could start by offering Bronze healthcare plans instead of Gold Plans to all State employees.

Do early retirees still get family coverage for sharply discounted costs until 65? That might have been changed under Christie but I don't remember the details. IIRC it was free before Christie.

Look, it is extremely difficult for any large organization to cut spending. Much of that is not due to wasteful programs but the steady and seemingly inevitable rise in the number of people whose work involves the organization, rather than what the organization does. Worked at NSA for 35 years. When I started, the bulk of the people were involved with the actual collection, evaluation and dissemination of our information. We had three operational groups and Agency staff was modest in size. Over the years, things changed. We still had the same number of operational groups but the number of staff people and administrative people within those groups mushroomed. Meanwhile, Agency staff multiplied like amoebas. By the time I left, the named staff groups had reached W. A mere handful were necessary--Computers, for example. Liaison groups out the ying yang. Personnel branched out into several named groups and swelled like the crowd at a hot concert. That in addition to the personnel people within each of the three operational groups. Even back a good decade before I retired, an anonymous writer penned an article for the Agency magazine describing the chaos and estimating that only about one in ten people was now directly involved in the collection, evaluation and dissemination of our information. The Agency's response was to cease publication of the magazine.

Parkinson's Law is a humorous book, but it makes great points. The number of employees in a given organization rises at a steady rate regardless of the work done. Officials make work for each other. Officials seek to multiply subordinates, not rivals. Those are some of the key axioms Parkinson states. One of his example was the British Admiralty, which continued to grow apace even as the British fleet dwindled.

Have always believed that the four basic human need were food, shelter, reproduction and the impulse to bureaucratize. Which is why New Jersey's state government is irretrievably screwed.

Reactions: RU2131
They're moving from California. And not necessarily to Portland.

political affiliation aside, the Oregon Govenor is batshit crazy!

I know many areas of Oregon lean Red, obviously Portland area and Eugene are 95% Blue

But, the Governor is cookoo for cocoa puffs

Very sad for the people of Oregon

Until she's out, I highly warn anyone to move to that state.

Look, it is extremely difficult for any large organization to cut spending. Much of that is not due to wasteful programs but the steady and seemingly inevitable rise in the number of people whose work involves the organization, rather than what the organization does. Worked at NSA for 35 years. When I started, the bulk of the people were involved with the actual collection, evaluation and dissemination of our information. We had three operational groups and Agency staff was modest in size. Over the years, things changed. We still had the same number of operational groups but the number of staff people and administrative people within those groups mushroomed. Meanwhile, Agency staff multiplied like amoebas. By the time I left, the named staff groups had reached W. A mere handful were necessary--Computers, for example. Liaison groups out the ying yang. Personnel branched out into several named groups and swelled like the crowd at a hot concert. That in addition to the personnel people within each of the three operational groups. Even back a good decade before I retired, an anonymous writer penned an article for the Agency magazine describing the chaos and estimating that only about one in ten people was now directly involved in the collection, evaluation and dissemination of our information. The Agency's response was to cease publication of the magazine.

Parkinson's Law is a humorous book, but it makes great points. The number of employees in a given organization rises at a steady rate regardless of the work done. Officials make work for each other. Officials seek to multiply subordinates, not rivals. Those are some of the key axioms Parkinson states. One of his example was the British Admiralty, which continued to grow apace even as the British fleet dwindled.

Have always believed that the four basic human need were food, shelter, reproduction and the impulse to bureaucratize. Which is why New Jersey's state government is irretrievably screwed.

Thanks for making the case for low taxes and small government.

Smart people are leaving. My family and I are taking our money out of here in four years after my son graduates from high school. We might move to Gettysburg. I have always wanted to work at the battlefield. Suckers will stay and continue to complain and vote for the same people expecting different results. It's not going to happen ! See ya later Jersey !

Good luck. I'm leaving next month for Florida. Will miss the people but can't wait to get out of NJ otherwise. Will continue my annual contributions as normal to RU with the exceptions of season tickets.

Reactions: goru1869
OC real estate is actually sky rocketing because of people wanting to flee dem run cities and north jersey. We have low taxes for NJ, (1% of assessed value) good schools and a family friendly environment. The guy up the street from me just retired and is moving to CO. His house is kind of a dump on the inside, but it was sold in 2 days with 5 offers above listing price. My daughter who is a realtor has been telling clients, if you see a house you like, make sure your first offer is at or above listing or it will be gone.

If i did not live here, I would also be exiting NJ when I retire in a few years, if not sooner.

Lol come on, Ocean County does not have good schools.

My friend sold her home in NJ in one weekend. She had 65 showings and 4 offers above asking price. They did a bidding war BAFO round of offers and she came out 30 k over price.
It’s sky rocketing because of the lack of available homes . I base this upon the 6 new families who moved from NY ‘s LI , Brooklyn areas to our block. Those that moved out or sold either went west to PA. or South to the usual SC or Fla. Still we have some who wish to believe this is not happening. well, guess what? It sure as hell is.

OC real estate is actually sky rocketing because of people wanting to flee dem run cities and north jersey. We have low taxes for NJ, (1% of assessed value) good schools and a family friendly environment. The guy up the street from me just retired and is moving to CO. His house is kind of a dump on the inside, but it was sold in 2 days with 5 offers above listing price. My daughter who is a realtor has been telling clients, if you see a house you like, make sure your first offer is at or above listing or it will be gone.

If i did not live here, I would also be exiting NJ when I retire in a few years, if not sooner.
+1
Barrier island towns are the best bargains in NJ.

My friend sold her home in NJ in one weekend. She had 65 showings and 4 offers above asking price. They did a bidding war BAFO round of offers and she came out 30 k over price.

sold in two days for over asking in Hunterdon County. 3 offers. 14 showings in 2.5 days. It was crazy.

You think people are moving because of the Gas tax think again. Its basically a $2.00 a week bump if you figure in one tank a week.

Its annoying that it keeps going up and the state actually needs to figure out a way to make folks who drive electric or hybrid cars pay for their upkeep for use of highways. That will happen when these cars are priced the same as conventional vehicles.

The gas will still be cheaper than across the river in Pennsylvania. The gap is closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT