ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers game program at Pro Football HofFame

ChrisNalwasky

All American
Staff
Mar 25, 2018
My gf's dad and brother are at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Ohio and they spotted this

68798838_10219523341104581_2616092823698538496_n.jpg

Hey, maybe we could have 150th anniversary of that game instead. That should give the administration enough time to plan something, right?

Reactions: beaced
My friend has the October 25, 1873 Yale-Rutgers program. First game Rutgers was in that charged admission -- 35 cents -- and drew 1,000. First game after the first intercollegiate football rules conference held at the Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York a week earlier and attended by Rutgers, Yale, Princeton and Columbia (by letter).

Howard Fuller played in that game. Two months later he composed "On The Banks Of The Old Raritan."

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2018/01/treasure_hunters_rutgers_fans_share_unearth_some_r.html

23955417-standard.png

Is it just me or does $.35 seem like a lot for a game back then?

Is it just me or does $.35 seem like a lot for a game back then?

Even in 1873, the field, Hamilton Park, had to be rented. Yale wasn't trying to make money, just cover expenses. What was left over was split between the two teams to cover their personal expenses. For Rutgers, that meant money to take the train home rather than by ship.

It is the oldest Rutgers football game program. There are only 2 other Football programs that exist that are older from the year before, both Yale ones as well, So Yale may have started the whole football program thing I would guess.

It is the oldest Rutgers football game program. There are only 2 other Football programs that exist that are older from the year before, both Yale ones as well, So Yale may have started the whole football program thing I would guess.

Actually, there was only one 1872 program issued when Columbia was invited to New Haven for Yale's first intercollegiate football game (and Yale's only game that season). That one is the oldest and the Rutgers-Yale one in 1873 is the second oldest.

The 1872 program was sold at Heritage Auction Galleries in 2007 for $23,900.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
ADVERTISEMENT