ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers gets some serious airtime

Look I know you like to come on here and stir the pot. But do you really need someone to explain to you how Rutgers being mentioned in a positive manner helps recruiting?

It obviously doesn't hurt . It's certainly nice to hear the good publicity. But I am not convinced it really helps us.

That was serious love. And to answer Nance's question, yea, we played Penn St. in lacrosse and probably beat them considering we are 41-21 all time.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
It was awesome, and, believe or not, one of the announcers really talking up RU was Phil Simms. Among the comments is that Logan Ryan has grown into one of the best young CBs in the game.
Talk is cheap. Great hindsight by Simms. Actions speak louder than words. His kids didn't even talk about repping NJ. Rutgers did not exist for them.

Reactions: redking
So some kid is gonna flip to us because our coach 5 years ago could get guys to the NFL?

Schools get a reputation at certain positions that transfer past the coach that coached them. LSU DB's, Penn State LB's, Purdue at QB, Wisconsin OL/RB, MSU LB's, Michigan OL, etc. When you have players in the Super Bowl in definitely helps.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
Great publicity for RU, except for that "their alma mater had 6 interceptions for the entire 2016 season" part.

Schools get a reputation at certain positions that transfer past the coach that coached them. LSU DB's, Penn State LB's, Purdue at QB, Wisconsin OL/RB, MSU LB's, Michigan OL, etc. When you have players in the Super Bowl in definitely helps.
Purdue QB's? Drew Brees and then who? Bob Griese in the 60's? Maybe Lenny Dawson. Am I forgetting somebody?

Pretty sure Shea was the coach. I wouldn't let my kid go to Rutgers under Shea either. Place was dead then doing nothing right. Or even close to it.
Yes for Chris.

Matt Simms passed on Schiano's Rutgers for Louisville. He could have been teammates with future NFL pros McCourty twins, Greene, Freeny, LeGrand, Westermann, Cooper, Johnson, Glaud, Harmon, Ryan, Lefeged and competed with Teel and throwing to Sanu, Britt, Underwood, Brown, Jefferson, Brock and behind Davis & Haslam

Purdue QB's? Drew Brees and then who? Bob Griese in the 60's? Maybe Lenny Dawson. Am I forgetting somebody?

Curtis Painter, Kyle Orton, Mark Hermann, Jim Everett, Gary Danielson, Scott Campbell, Bob DeMoss, maybe not as much recently since Painter in 2009, but Purdue has produced a good amount of NFL QB's compared to their results on the field. But if you look over the period from Griese to Painter, that is a long time of producing QB's.

Curtis Painter, Kyle Orton, Mark Hermann, Jim Everett, Gary Danielson, Scott Campbell, Bob DeMoss, maybe not as much recently since Painter in 2009, but Purdue has produced a good amount of NFL QB's compared to their results on the field. But if you look over the period from Griese to Painter, that is a long time of producing QB's.
Okay I gotcha. I guess I was thinking more about impact guys. That is a lot of guys that spent some time in the league though.

Yes its good

Shows nfl from ru a real thing. All the other talk is nonsense. Should do recruiting wonders.

Great publicity for RU, except for that "their alma mater had 6 interceptions for the entire 2016 season" part.

Yeah, kind of winced at that because everything else that was said was really positive. -But on the "plus" side of Nantz's comment, I believe he actually said that RU had 8 INT's for the entire 2016 season.

No matter the number mentioned, though, would have been nice if that had been left out. ...Still, RU definitely got some great mentions during the game.

Last edited:
Yes its good

Shows nfl from ru a real thing. All the other talk is nonsense. Should do recruiting wonders.

I agree. Sometimes we think people follow Rutgers like us nut jobs. But there are a lot of kids that are not following us that closely, some our out of state kids, some our even kids in NJ that may watch NFL and not college. When the hear the Super Bowl lineups announced and there are at least 3 starters out of 44 that are Rutgers grads, that is a great percentage.

I don't see how our coach from 5 years ago getting guys into the NFL helps Rutgers. None of those guys have anything to do with our current program. The only player who's sniffing the NFL this year is Darius Hamilton. But maybe Darius Hamilton ends up in New England. He seems like a Patriots type guy.

I heard the announcer say something like "Bill Bilichick and that Rutgers Connection really solidified that secondary". Which may I say was really cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT