ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Hoops announces 2022 OOC schedule

I think there was an update in one of 72's threads, but nothing concrete yet. Seems that a couple of interesting games are still in the works and not finalized.

So we're playing Rider, Bucknell, Coppin State, Sacred Heart, Columbia, and UMass Lowell. Yuck. Plus Seton Hall and and ACC game brings us to 8 out of 11 to be scheduled.

Don't get me wrong - I'll be thrilled if this team somehow makes the NCAA Tournament but you're already setting a ceiling as a 10 seed with that putrid OOC schedule.

It's obviously intentional at this point to try to schedule the weakest of the weakest low majors.

certainly intentional. If it’s been working, keep doing it!

There are obviously many factors at play here. I think the key issue is the Rutgers AD office wants home games because it helps the budget. That means lower competition for sure. Pike also clearly believes the big ten schedule provides plenty of high level games. I would love to see some neutral site games at MSG or another high level home/away agreement. It sounds like they have been trying to schedule those types of games with not a lot of luck. So we’ll see what ends up being scheduled for the last 3-5 games.

There are obviously many factors at play here. I think the key issue is the Rutgers AD office wants home games because it helps the budget. That means lower competition for sure. Pike also clearly believes the big ten schedule provides plenty of high level games. I would love to see some neutral site games at MSG or another high level home/away agreement. It sounds like they have been trying to schedule those types of games with not a lot of luck. So we’ll see what ends up being scheduled for the last 3-5 games.
Rutgers also plays CCSU at home and is definitely playing at either Mohegan Sun as a stand alone against probably Providence and/or Georgetown at UBS.There remains the possibility of a game at Gonzaga with no return game to Rutgers.Dont ignore Michigan State at MSG. I remain a proponent of playing Princeton at the RAC. It would be a Quad 2. They sent portal kids to Michigan, Colorado and Duke. They are a lofty program and a great test for Rutgers.

Last edited:
certainly intentional. If it’s been working, keep doing it!

I don’t see how you can say “it worked” last year. Granted, there wasn’t much we could’ve done to make the schedule harder. We had pre-committed to 3 true road games plus the ACC challenge at home. We didn’t “pick” DePaul or Clemson. (I hope we never schedule another road game at an A10 bottom feeder again but we had to honor our commitment). People misunderstand the schedule complaints. It made no sense to add a neutral tourney ON TOP OF those 4 games last year. That was never in the cards. The point is - THIS YEAR we’re not playing in the BE challenge or stuck going to UMass. And we’re not playing SHU on the road.

It didn’t “work” last year. We got into the tournament despite awful non-conference performance in which we demonstrated zero correlation between the level of opponent and our chances of winning. Clemson was a much easier game for us than Lehigh. Go figure.

Reactions: Local Shill
Rutgers also plays CCSU at home and is definitely playing at either Mohegan Sun as a stand alone against probably Providence and/or Georgetown at UBS.There remains the possibility of a game at Gonzaga with no return game to Rutgers.Dont ignore Michigan State at MSG. I remain a proponent of playing Princeton at the RAC. It would be a Quad 2. They sent portal kids to Michigan, Colorado and Duke. They are a lofty program and a great test for Rutgers.
I fine with a home and home.

No desire for a Gonzaga game unless it’s in Seattle or a home and home.

Scheduling magic:

Seton Hall (home/road alternate)
Mid-tier ACC opponent
High major opponent or serious mid-major (play at a neutral site, sign a home-and-home, or see if the Gavitt Games are extended as the current agreement ends this season.)
Neutral site tournament with at least 1 other high major opponent (This gets us 2 or 3 games)
5 or 6 home games against low majors. Preferably no more than 3 against the worst of the worst but if you do the above then it doesn't matter a ton

That's all that reasonable folks are hoping for. We don't need to fly across the country to play Gonzaga, that's just as silly as playing eight cupcake games.

Reactions: Local Shill
Cool with a buncha cup cakes as long as we cram in 3 or so big games. Wish we got involved in more of the marquee tourneys. Especially the Jimmy V

Reactions: goru7
I don’t see how you can say “it worked” last year. Granted, there wasn’t much we could’ve done to make the schedule harder. We had pre-committed to 3 true road games plus the ACC challenge at home. We didn’t “pick” DePaul or Clemson. (I hope we never schedule another road game at an A10 bottom feeder again but we had to honor our commitment). People misunderstand the schedule complaints. It made no sense to add a neutral tourney ON TOP OF those 4 games last year. That was never in the cards. The point is - THIS YEAR we’re not playing in the BE challenge or stuck going to UMass. And we’re not playing SHU on the road.

It didn’t “work” last year. We got into the tournament despite awful non-conference performance in which we demonstrated zero correlation between the level of opponent and our chances of winning. Clemson was a much easier game for us than Lehigh. Go figure.

we had a terrible non conference performance. Totally agree.

we were able to overcome that terrible non conference performance and win cause we didn’t schedule the best teams.

had we had a harder schedule in OOC, we likely would have dropped another game or two. And I’d say miss the Tourny.

Reactions: Scangg
we had a terrible non conference performance. Totally agree.

we were able to overcome that terrible non conference performance and win cause we didn’t schedule the best teams.

had we had a harder schedule in OOC, we likely would have dropped another game or two. And I’d say miss the Tourny.

I’m not following at all. Everyone is in agreement that the quantity of “real (i.e. losable)” games should remain at 4-5 - no more than that.

See KCG’s post - let’s say the “better schedule” simply involved the Gavitt commitment rolling off, and avoiding true road games at A10 bottom feeders. We went 0-2 in those games anyway. How can you say replacing them with entry into a low-mid tier neutral tourney would result in us losing more?

Don't get me wrong - I'll be thrilled if this team somehow makes the NCAA Tournament but you're already setting a ceiling as a 10 seed with that putrid OOC schedule.

It's obviously intentional at this point to try to schedule the weakest of the weakest low majors.
We go 9-2 13-7 2-1 24-10 I don’t think we will be a 10 seed. Just a guess

I don't see us winning 13 Big Ten games. but that might be what it takes to get on the bubble with the absolutley horrid OOC schedule that is being put in place. The gap between the toughest non-conference schedule and the No. 13 is probably closer than the distance between No. 13 and RU's (a clear 14th).

Reactions: bac2therac
It depends how the conference strength is but Wake Forest just went 23-8 (13-7) in the ACC and missed the tournament. Miami went 22-9 (14-6) and got a 10 seed.

I’m not following at all. Everyone is in agreement that the quantity of “real (i.e. losable)” games should remain at 4-5 - no more than that.

See KCG’s post - let’s say the “better schedule” simply involved the Gavitt commitment rolling off, and avoiding true road games at A10 bottom feeders. We went 0-2 in those games anyway. How can you say replacing them with entry into a low-mid tier neutral tourney would result in us losing more?

I can’t help if you’re not following. Sorry.

We had a terrible OOC schedule, and it didn’t hurt us. We still made the Tourny. It didn’t hurt us two years ago, still made the tourny. Didn’t hurt us 3 years ago, likely would have made the Tourny.

until the big ten conference sked gets easier..we won’t know when, we can afford an easier OOC schedule. It’s not tough to comprehend, all due respect!

Reactions: Scangg
The neutral site tournament is crucial IMO because you can goose your road/neutral record. If all your non-home games are road games against high majors then your record is going to look bad. But if you get three games on a neutral court against Virginia Tech, Charleston, and Furman (a potential scenario for Penn State) you give it a chance to look better.

It's easy to say the losses at Fordham, UMass, and in Toronto to St. Bonaventure have Pikiell a bit spooked but it doesn't seem like the home loss to Lafayette has changed anything so I dunno.

Yes, obviously, you've got to win the games. You're better off going 3-0 against Bucknell, Columbia, and Sacred Heart than going 1-2 against VT, Charleston, and Furman. Any bad OOC can be overcome but we're talking degree of difficulty. Hell, Dayton lost THREE Q4 games and almost made it in last season. You know why? Because they followed those three Q4 losses with neutral site wins over Miami, Kansas, and Belmont.

9 confirmed games

Coppin st
rider
Central ct
columbia
umass lowell
sacred heart
bucknell
seton hall
ACC game, let’s hope it’s at ND, instead of BC or Gtech

mohegan sun rumor vs Prov

That’s Ten games, we could have 11 because of MTE, at Zags? it is worth the trip there for improving non conference metrics

9 confirmed games

Coppin st
rider
Central ct
columbia
umass lowell
sacred heart
bucknell
seton hall

That’s Ten games, we could have 11 because of MTE, at Zags? it is worth the trip there for improving non conference metrics
I hate the idea of flying across the country for one game, especially a near guaranteed loss. A six hour flight to face a top 5 team at home (or close by in Seattle) would be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Nope - but we might very well be stuck in the dreaded 8-9 slot. Iowa was 26-9 with a non-conference win @VA and Utah State (neutral) while losing only one nonconference game, won the BIG tourney, and only got a 5 seed.

We had a terrible OOC schedule, and it didn’t hurt us. We still made the Tourny. It didn’t hurt us two years ago, still made the tourny. Didn’t hurt us 3 years ago, likely would have made the Tourny.

until the big ten conference sked gets easier..we won’t know when, we can afford an easier OOC schedule. It’s not tough to comprehend, all due respect!
Why can’t we have the the 10th or 11th toughest non-conference schedule in the Big Ten instead of having the 14th toughest - and by a wide wide margin?

Playing DePaul and UMass as our “tough” opponents DID HURT US. Even with the Lafayette loss, we would not have been anywhere near the play in game if instead of playing those games we went 1-2 in a neutral 8 team bracket. We had no choice - we had pre committed to those games - but it’s not true that it didn’t end up hurting us to play them considering it didn’t help us that they were paper easier games. We lost.

Why can’t we have the the 10th or 11th toughest non-conference schedule in the Big Ten instead of having the 14th toughest - and by a wide wide margin?

Based on 72’s post it sounds like some decent opponents to close out the schedule may still be in the cards. I’d prefer to see us in a neutral tourney but any 2 add ons against NCAA contenders would be a huge year over year improvement in scheduling. I’m fine with sticking to script of 4 games that aren’t supposed to be automatic home cupcakes as long as a few of those games are opportunities against potential contenders. I want no part of true road games against bottom feeders. We never fair well in those.

Based on 72’s post it sounds like some decent opponents to close out the schedule may still be in the cards. I’d prefer to see us in a neutral tourney but any 2 add ons against NCAA contenders would be a huge year over year improvement in scheduling. I’m fine with sticking to script of 4 games that aren’t supposed to be automatic home cupcakes as long as a few of those games are opportunities against potential contenders. I want no part of true road games against bottom feeders. We never fair well in those.
As long as they are home, sure.

Pre-B1G sked away: Shoe when it’s their turn, Princeton if they come back on the schedule as a home/home, a tournament and maybe a neutral site.

As long as they are home, sure.

Pre-B1G sked away: Shoe when it’s their turn, Princeton if they come back on the schedule as a home/home, a tournament and maybe a neutral site.
I want no part of a home and home vs. Princeton if that would count as one of the 4 “real” games. They aren’t good every year. I want to avoid adding true road games against potentially terrible teams to the schedule (we have enough trouble with going to Nebraska, NW, etc.)

Ideally it would be SHU, ACC challenge opponent, rotate between 4 and 8 team neutral pre-season tourney brackets. If Pike wants, the rest can be the easiest cupcakes available though as KCG said - it would be great if we didn’t have to hand select only from the worst possible teams - though if we were picking the real opponents more wisely it would matter less.

9 confirmed games

Coppin st
rider
Central ct
columbia
umass lowell
sacred heart
bucknell
seton hall

Wow Murderer's Row of a schedule there...
You read Goodman's and Rothstein's twitter feeds about all these interesting November tournaments and then read about the typical Rutgers powerhouse non-con schedule above...It's like your athletic department just loves being made fun of...

Playing DePaul and UMass as our “tough” opponents DID HURT US. Even with the Lafayette loss, we would not have been anywhere near the play in game if instead of playing those games we went 1-2 in a neutral 8 team bracket. We had no choice - we had pre committed to those games - but it’s not true that it didn’t end up hurting us to play them considering it didn’t help us that they were paper easier games. We lost.

stop with the what ifs…

we made the Tourny. Our schedule is working! Until we miss the Tourny due to our schedule….it’s working…

Does Princeton still play a style out of favor, but still successful, with every other Div-1 program, that you have to specifically prepare for?

then you guys will be complaining “we have the 11th ranked schedule, why not the 8th” lol.

so long as we’re playing meaningful games in March, we could schedule high school games in November for all I care. Lol

I want no part of a home and home vs. Princeton if that would count as one of the 4 “real” games. They aren’t good every year. I want to avoid adding true road games against potentially terrible teams to the schedule (we have enough trouble with going to Nebraska, NW, etc.)

Ideally it would be SHU, ACC challenge opponent, rotate between 4 and 8 team neutral pre-season tourney brackets. If Pike wants, the rest can be the easiest cupcakes available though as KCG said - it would be great if we didn’t have to hand select only from the worst possible teams - though if we were picking the real opponents more wisely it would matter less.
I didn’t put them in that group.

Just a close by traditional opponent who I like seeing. And I liked going to Jadwin.

then you guys will be complaining “we have the 11th ranked schedule, why not the 8th” lol.

so long as we’re playing meaningful games in March, we could schedule high school games in November for all I care. Lol
C’mon bro.. we’ve made three straight NCAA tournament and we’re still running and hiding from anyone with a pulse except for the 2 or 3 contractually obligated games. It’s sad.

Wow Murderer's Row of a schedule there...
You read Goodman's and Rothstein's twitter feeds about all these interesting November tournaments and then read about the typical Rutgers powerhouse non-con schedule above...It's like your athletic department just loves being made fun of...
No arguing that your basketball program is better, but you're delusional if you think Rutgers' "athletic department" isn't in another stratosphere from Villanova. Zip your cake hole or scram.

C’mon bro.. we’ve made three straight NCAA tournament and we’re still running and hiding from anyone with a pulse except for the 2 or 3 contractually obligated games. It’s sad.

That’s just not true at all. Had Baylor 2 years ago..had games fall thru this off-season

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
9 confirmed games

Coppin st
rider
Central ct
columbia
umass lowell
sacred heart
bucknell
seton hall

its a pathetic schedule especially if the standalone game is against a school that was 0-18 in the Big East last year

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
ADVERTISEMENT