ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Hoops announces 2022 OOC schedule

Rutgers overcame the horrid non conference sos last year and not having a quality win out of the Big 10 schedule because they did something unusual...RU pulled off super wins over the likes of Illinois, Purdue and at Wisconsin. Those type of feather in the cap wins sometimes count as two wins. There is no guarantee that the Big 10 will offer wins that will be that highly thought of this season. What if RU lost those 3 games but beat Maryland, at Penn State and at Minnesota....in that case the RU resume does not look as impressive...still with two bad losses, bad ooc...the quality wins become at Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State...is that enough to get in...I say no. This is the type of scenerio that a 11-9 or 12-8 Big 10 school could face. There were 3 Big 10 schools that barely made it into the tourney. Indiana was a half away from being left out had they lost in the first round of the Big 10 tourney. What if RU didnt win at Indiana

Rutgers overcame the horrid non conference sos last year and not having a quality win out of the Big 10 schedule because they did something unusual...RU pulled off super wins over the likes of Illinois, Purdue and at Wisconsin. Those type of feather in the cap wins sometimes count as two wins. There is no guarantee that the Big 10 will offer wins that will be that highly thought of this season. What if RU lost those 3 games but beat Maryland, at Penn State and at Minnesota....in that case the RU resume does not look as impressive...still with two bad losses, bad ooc...the quality wins become at Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State...is that enough to get in...I say no. This is the type of scenerio that a 11-9 or 12-8 Big 10 school could face. There were 3 Big 10 schools that barely made it into the tourney. Indiana was a half away from being left out had they lost in the first round of the Big 10 tourney. What if RU didnt win at Indiana

so many what ifs…who cares about what ifs.

Rutgers also plays CCSU at home and is definitely playing at either Mohegan Sun as a stand alone against probably Providence and/or Georgetown at UBS.There remains the possibility of a game at Gonzaga with no return game to Rutgers.Dont ignore Michigan State at MSG. I remain a proponent of playing Princeton at the RAC. It would be a Quad 2. They sent portal kids to Michigan, Colorado and Duke. They are a lofty program and a great test for Rutgers.
If Gonzaga won't come back there's no reason to go take an L for nothing

so many what ifs…who cares about what ifs.
You have to think about them in terms of next year. We didn’t have any quality OOC wins as BAC said, but at least we beat Clemson. Who knows - if that was the game cancelled instead of Rider, maybe the committee takes Wake instead of us? If we only play 2 real opponents OOC and lose both games it would make a bid really tough at 11-9. Hopefully 72 is right and we’re looking to add a few more decent opponents.

You have to think about them in terms of next year. We didn’t have any quality OOC wins as BAC said, but at least we beat Clemson. Who knows - if that was the game cancelled instead of Rider, maybe the committee takes Wake instead of us? If we only play 2 real opponents OOC and lose both games it would make a bid really tough at 11-9. Hopefully 72 is right and we’re looking to add a few more decent opponents.
What ifs don’t matter in what my point is:

Scheduling easy opponents has worked for Pike and Rutgers.

9 confirmed games

Coppin st
rider
Central ct
columbia
umass lowell
sacred heart
bucknell
seton hall
ACC game, let’s hope it’s at ND, instead of BC or Gtech

mohegan sun rumor vs Prov

That’s Ten games, we could have 11 because of MTE, at Zags? it is worth the trip there for improving non conference metrics
Must've missed the Coppin State one, where'd ya see that?

Also Barstool having a MTE classic in Philly, makes ya wonder if RU would show interest.

What ifs don’t matter in what my point is:

Scheduling easy opponents has worked for Pike and Rutgers.

First of all - you have no idea if it has worked or not (just because we made the field doesn’t mean we couldn’t have earned a better seed and avoided the play in game). It’s impossible to know one way or the other how Rutgers would’ve done against a tougher non-conference slate.

Secondly - you seem to keep missing the point that it wouldn’t be the home cupcakes that we’d be upgrading. The idea would be for the 4-5 games played away from home and/or against major conference teams to be against a better collective set of teams Going on the road to places like DePaul and UMass is just a lose / lose proposition for us. We lost 3 of 4 vs. Clemson, DePaul, UMass and SHU. You have no basis whatsoever to assume we lose 4 of 4 if we played SHU, ND, LSU and St Marys instead. If we win one of those 4 instead of the 4 we played and lose to the other 3 - there’s no way we’d be in the play in game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
I don't think Rutgers is solely to blame for the non con slate. Many teams don't want to come to the RAC. I hate neutral site games.
Unless you’re getting paid, what’s the point?

Using this as an example, I don’t need to play or go to MSG just because it’s MSG.

A home game for someone else (Fordham, Manhattan, SJU, Iona), sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersfan1766
First of all - you have no idea if it has worked or not (just because we made the field doesn’t mean we couldn’t have earned a better seed and avoided the play in game). It’s impossible to know one way or the other how Rutgers would’ve done against a tougher non-conference slate.

Secondly - you seem to keep missing the point that it wouldn’t be the home cupcakes that we’d be upgrading. The idea would be for the 4-5 games played away from home and/or against major conference teams to be against a better collective set of teams Going on the road to places like DePaul and UMass is just a lose / lose proposition for us. We lost 3 of 4 vs. Clemson, DePaul, UMass and SHU. You have no basis whatsoever to assume we lose 4 of 4 if we played SHU, ND, LSU and St Marys instead. If we win one of those 4 instead of the 4 we played and lose to the other 3 - there’s no way we’d be in the play in game.

more what ifs…….

Atree to disagree. Have a wonderful day

Go RU

Unless you’re getting paid, what’s the point?

Using this as an example, I don’t need to play or go to MSG just because it’s MSG.

A home game for someone else (Fordham, Manhattan, SJU, Iona), sure.
Most of our fans whining about the schedule haven't taken into consideration that many high major programs don't want to come to Jersey Mike's Arena. They want us to play at a neutral site, but play the return game at their gym. If they want us to play at their gym, they should come to ours. Our homecourt advantage speaks for itself. No wonder people are scared.

Until teams aren't scared to come to JMA, we will continue to play low majors who are happy for the paycheck.

Most of our fans whining about the schedule haven't taken into consideration that many high major programs don't want to come to Jersey Mike's Arena. They want us to play at a neutral site, but play the return game at their gym. If they want us to play at their gym, they should come to ours. Our homecourt advantage speaks for itself. No wonder people are scared.

Until teams aren't scared to come to JMA, we will continue to play low majors who are happy for the paycheck.
We are on the same page.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
We are on the same page.
No - most people commenting would simply like to see us enter a neutral tournament in place of scheduling home and homes with UMass, Fordham, Stonybrook (I understand we had no choice on that one) or one off neutral games against St Bonnies.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
No - most people commenting would simply like to see us enter a neutral tournament in place of scheduling home and homes with UMass, Fordham, Stonybrook (I understand we had no choice on that one) or one off neutral games against St Bonnies.
I am okay with something like the Philadelphia thing which just popped up. Or any other MTE that materializes.

But to play a neutral site game just to play a neutral site game, nah.

And none of those schools mentioned are worth it for a home and home, with the exception of Fordham only if their home game is at MSG.

That level can all come here for a bought game or we’ll just get someone else in their place.

Last edited:

Home and homes are less popular across the board. We are talking about in season neutral site tourneys that basically every major school but Rutgers plays in

Reactions: Local Shill
I am okay with something like the Philadelphia thing which just popped up. Or any other MTE that materializes.

But to play a neutral site game just to play a neutral site game, nah.

And none of those schools mentioned are worth it for a home and home, with the exception of Fordham only if their home game is at MSG.

That level can all come here for a bought game or we’ll just get someone else in their place.
Do you remember how we absolutely needed to win the Purdue game in 2020? Think about the situation instead if we had beaten St. Bonaventure in Toronto, or if instead of that game we had beaten Hartford at home.

Beat St. Bonaventure -> Probably in even with a loss to Purdue (we'd had have the same record, and Jerry Palm would've have been crowing for months about our away from home record)
Lose to St. Bonaventure -> Need to beat Purdue
Beat Hartford -> Need to beat Purdue

That's why you schedule neutral site games. A loss in those is more or less as good as a win over a cupcake. And there's the upside of actually winning the game. A neutral site tournament is better than a one-off, though.

Do you remember how we absolutely needed to win the Purdue game in 2020? Think about the situation instead if we had beaten St. Bonaventure in Toronto, or if instead of that game we had beaten Hartford at home.

Beat St. Bonaventure -> Probably in even with a loss to Purdue (we'd had have the same record, and Jerry Palm would've have been crowing for months about our away from home record)
Lose to St. Bonaventure -> Need to beat Purdue
Beat Hartford -> Need to beat Purdue

That's why you schedule neutral site games. A loss in those is more or less as good as a win over a cupcake. And there's the upside of actually winning the game. A neutral site tournament is better than a one-off, though.
Which is pretty much what I’m saying as well.

But beat Hartford too, please.🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: kcg88
Home and homes are less popular across the board. We are talking about in season neutral site tourneys that basically every major school but Rutgers plays in
Totally on board with this as to me it’s the only way I’d like to see an away game before B1G play.

Here are our neutral and road games since 2010. Which slate would you sign up for in 22-23?

Auburn in Pittsburgh
UNC @msg

Illinois State and Richmond in Cancun
@Miami
@Stony Brook

@UNC Greensboro
@Mississippi
Iona @ MSG

@UAB
@George Washington

Vanderbilt and Virigina @ Barclays
@Clemson
@SHU
@Monmouth
Manhattan @ MSG

Creighton and Clemsom @ Las Vegas
@St John's
@George Washington

@DePaul
@Miami
@Stony Brook
Fordham @ MSG
Wisconsin @ MSG

No road or neutral Games

@Miami
@Seton Hall
@Fordham

St Bonaventure @ Toronto
@Pittsburgh

No road or neutral games
@DePaul
@Umass
@Seton Hall

I don't think Rutgers is solely to blame for the non con slate. Many teams don't want to come to the RAC. I hate neutral site games.

But neutral site games are the key. That's how most of the other Big 10 teams beef up their out-of-conference schedule, especially in early season tournaments. That should be RU's focus.

But neutral site games are the key. That's how most of the other Big 10 teams beef up their out-of-conference schedule, especially in early season tournaments. That should be RU's focus.
I’m all for that, the tournament idea. Not so much the stand alone game.

more what ifs…….

Atree to disagree. Have a wonderful day

Go RU
And how exactly is your premise that we would’ve performed worse if we played better teams not a what if?
Here are our neutral and road games since 2010. Which slate would you sign up for in 22-23?

Auburn in Pittsburgh
UNC @msg

@Miami
@Stony Brook

@UNC Greensboro
@Mississippi
Iona @ MSG

@UAB
@George Washington

@Clemson
@SHU
@Monmouth
Manhattan @ MSG

@St John's
@George Washington

@DePaul
@Miami
@Stony Brook
Fordham @ MSG
Wisconsin @ MSG

No road or neutral Games

@Miami
@Seton Hall
@Fordham

St Bonaventure @ Toronto
@Pittsburgh

No road or neutral games
@DePaul
@Umass
@Seton Hall

You can’t ignore home games against above average teams. Those count as “real” too. I want nothing to do with the 2014-15 schedule that included the 6 games you mentioned plus a home game against GW (NIT bound).

Nobody on here has suggested a major change to the general target of limiting it to 4-5 OOC games against decent opponents and/or away from home. That’s why I’m not understanding folks who are proclaiming we’d lose more with a “harder” schedule. When we’ve left the RAC to go play so called “easier” teams we haven’t done well at all. It would be awfully hard to fair worse.

And how exactly is your premise that we would’ve performed worse if we played better teams not a what if?

You can’t ignore home games against above average teams. Those count as “real” too. I want nothing to do with the 2014-15 schedule that included the 6 games you mentioned plus a home game against GW (NIT bound).

Nobody on here has suggested a major change to the general target of limiting it to 4-5 OOC games against decent opponents and/or away from home. That’s why I’m not understanding folks who are proclaiming we’d lose more with a “harder” schedule. When we’ve left the RAC to go play so called “easier” teams we haven’t done well at all. It would be awfully hard to fair worse.

i never made that premise. My
Point this whole thread is how Pike is scheduling is working. That’s all.

Just throwing Maryland's schedule out there. There's a fair number of cupcakes but one big marquee game and no teams rated worse than #300 (Rutgers already has three of them plus a rumored/speculated matchup with Central Connecticut). You don't need a murderer's row, just a neutral site tournament with some 40-80 ranked teams and avoid playing teams worse than #300. Plus one big game (not always necessary but in a season with no Gavitt matchup then scheduling another P5 game makes sense).

Auburn in Pittsburgh
UNC @msg

@Miami
@Stony Brook

@UNC Greensboro
@Mississippi
Iona @ MSG

@UAB
@George Washington

@Clemson
@SHU
@Monmouth
Manhattan @ MSG

@St John's
@George Washington

@DePaul
@Miami
@Stony Brook
Fordham @ MSG
Wisconsin @ MSG

No road or neutral Games

@Miami
@Seton Hall
@Fordham

St Bonaventure @ Toronto
@Pittsburgh

No road or neutral games
@DePaul
@Umass
@Seton Hall
2010 by far, UNC will be amazing this year and Auburn is still good

Listen , I hate the soft out of conference both from a perception , analytics and as a season ticket holder. You can schedule a top 15 team for a home and home that will never hurt you.
However , I find it quick unlikely 95% or greater that we never lose to a 300 team at home again. The Lafayette loss last year was an outlier . Without that loss we are a solid 10 in the field which is a great place for us until we start winning the conference. The conference likely will be a little down this year because of the sophomores that have departed. So 12-8 might not be enough but more than likely it will be . So not enough to get totally negative on since his schedule has worked for 3 straight years enough to be NCAA tourney worthy.
For the life of me , why he doesn’t embrace or demand a place in the Jimmy V or do a holiday y tournament instead of the 3 home no bodies , at this stage of the program and his resurrection of it , still is bothersome.

lets also note that the 2020 year RU needed to win at Purdue to really feel safe for a bid, losing to Pitt and St Bonnies the former a bad team was not good but RU overcame it by getting those big wins late over Maryland and Purdue

2021 was a covid year, the OOC schedule didnt play a big role because most had a shortened ooc, RU had Cuse that year

lets also note that the 2020 year RU needed to win at Purdue to really feel safe for a bid, losing to Pitt and St Bonnies the former a bad team was not good but RU overcame it by getting those big wins late over Maryland and Purdue

2021 was a covid year, the OOC schedule didnt play a big role because most had a shortened ooc, RU had Cuse that year
The BIG was very strong in 2019-20. The SHU win out of conference was also helpful.

Just throwing Maryland's schedule out there. There's a fair number of cupcakes but one big marquee game and no teams rated worse than #300 (Rutgers already has three of them plus a rumored/speculated matchup with Central Connecticut). You don't need a murderer's row, just a neutral site tournament with some 40-80 ranked teams and avoid playing teams worse than #300. Plus one big game (not always necessary but in a season with no Gavitt matchup then scheduling another P5 game makes sense).
+ Tennessee @ Barclays now confirmed a few days before the UCLA game

Needless to say, the fan base is v happy with the scheduling aggressiveness vs. what we’re used to. The UCLA home-and-home is something we never would have dreamed of under (former coach’s name redacted).

Listen , I hate the soft out of conference both from a perception , analytics and as a season ticket holder. You can schedule a top 15 team for a home and home that will never hurt you.
However , I find it quick unlikely 95% or greater that we never lose to a 300 team at home again. The Lafayette loss last year was an outlier . Without that loss we are a solid 10 in the field which is a great place for us until we start winning the conference. The conference likely will be a little down this year because of the sophomores that have departed. So 12-8 might not be enough but more than likely it will be . So not enough to get totally negative on since his schedule has worked for 3 straight years enough to be NCAA tourney worthy.
For the life of me , why he doesn’t embrace or demand a place in the Jimmy V or do a holiday y tournament instead of the 3 home no bodies , at this stage of the program and his resurrection of it , still is bothersome.
The question - is the risk of losing to a 200ish team materially different from a 300ish team? Needless to say, I don’t see that as the biggest problem with the schedule strategy.

I'm not trying to talk smack about your schedule. All I'm saying is as far as pure entertainment value as a season ticket holder, you're OK with sitting through 8 Nov/Dec games against teams with RPI's 250 and higher???

I'm not trying to talk smack about your schedule. All I'm saying is as far as pure entertainment value as a season ticket holder, you're OK with sitting through 8 Nov/Dec games against teams with RPI's 250 and higher???
You’re not wrong. Outside of Seton Hall the non-conference home games are putrid.

At minimum RU should play in a tournament on a neural floor with other high majors like everyone else does.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
The question - is the risk of losing to a 200ish team materially different from a 300ish team? Needless to say, I don’t see that as the biggest problem with the schedule strategy.
Who cares if you lose in a neutral site tourney to a 200 team ? Shit happens . But you upgrade your schedule strength , increase the national perception by more people watching and talking about you early. And if you win , it is not a single or double , it is a home run with 2 guys on.

It looks like the non-conference schedule for Rutgers will be better than expected. Are the complainers still b*tching, or they've gone into hiding?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT