ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Hoops announces 2022 OOC schedule

Who cares if you lose in a neutral site tourney to a 200 team ? Shit happens . But you upgrade your schedule strength , increase the national perception by more people watching and talking about you early. And if you win , it is not a single or double , it is a home run with 2 guys on.
Neutral or home - once the talent level drop reaches a certain point, I think the risk correlation probably becomes much less. The relative difference between NET 200 and 300 for a RU opponent is much less than the difference between 50 and 150. We’d have to play really bad on a given day to lose to either a 200 or a 300.

DayDateOpponentSiteLocation
MondayNovember 7thColumbiaJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
ThursdayNovember 10thSacred HeartJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
SaturdayNovember 12thUMass LowellJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
FridayNovember 18thTempleMohegan Sun ArenaUncasville, CT
TuesdayNovember 22ndRiderJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
SaturdayNovember 26thCentral Connecticut St.Jersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
WednesdayNovember 30thMiamiWatsco CenterCoral Gables, FL
SundayDecember 11thSeton HallJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
SaturdayDecember 17thWake ForestJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
FridayDecember 23rdBucknellJersey Mike's ArenaPiscataway, NJ
FridayDecember 30thCoppin StateJersey Mike’s
Arena
Piscataway,
NJ

Very weak

Aside from SHU, no games have any juice.
Not good from a hype perspective, but strategically this schedule is a lot better than last year’s. Stinks that we’re not in a preseason tournament but on a whole, the schedule is much more respectable.

4 games against teams that have at least a reasonable chance of being bubble contenders (Temple could actually be pretty decent in the AAC next year). Plus Rider projected as an auto bid winner in some pre season polls.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
No matter what some just like to complain. With us at Miami, Seton Hall and Wake Forest at home and Temple at Mohegan Sun we have four very good games. I like the schedule. We also will play 20 BIG Ten games. Our SOS should be pretty good. The early games on the schedule should give us an idea of what our newcomers can contribute and prepare us for the long season.

9-2 is the floor, we can't really afford to go worse than 2-2 vs Miami, Hall, Wake, Temple.

We should win the other 7

You mean to tell me if we go 1-3 against Temple, SHU, Wake and Miami, we can't recover from that? You absolutely can. That's not to say I don't want to, but Wake is going to be good. SHU is going to be good. Miami is arguably going to be very good. And they say Temple is going to be good. I think we are good too, but you have to play the games--Pikiell's teams are usually ready to go in December so we'll see, but I think we can go 8-3 and still be fine. Does anyone want to do that? No, it puts your back against the wall, but it's not the "floor."

You mean to tell me if we go 1-3 against Temple, SHU, Wake and Miami, we can't recover from that? You absolutely can. That's not to say I don't want to, but Wake is going to be good. SHU is going to be good. Miami is arguably going to be very good. And they say Temple is going to be good. I think we are good too, but you have to play the games--Pikiell's teams are usually ready to go in December so we'll see, but I think we can go 8-3 and still be fine. Does anyone want to do that? No, it puts your back against the wall, but it's not the "floor."

Expect a down season for SHU.

9 of the 11 games will be played in the RAC. You claimed to be a positive and optimistic fan but your expectation is always low.

I am positive and optimistic, but I also don't immediately put unrealistic expectations on a team in June expecting they will have 1 loss by January. It's a sport. The other team tries to win too... Saying 10-1 is the "floor" reads to me like anything else is a complete and utter disappointment.

It should be noted that Rutgers made multiple attempts to schedule a game against national power Gonzaga in Seattle but that ultimately fell through due to a combination of factors, including a conflict with games Rutgers already had booked and Gonzaga inking a deal to face Michigan State on an aircraft carrier.

Reactions: Scangg
19-20 Bryant / Niagara / Drexel
21-22 Lehigh / Merrimack / NJIT
22-23 Columbia / Sacred Heart / UMass-Lowell

19-20 Neutral SBA(no gavitt), 21-22 @Depaul(gavitt), 22-23 N Temple(no gavitt)
If no BE, schedule A10/AAC

19-20 SFA / NJIT / UMass
21-22 Lafayette / @ UMass
22-23 Rider / CCSU

19-20 @ Pitt / 2 B1G @,H / Seton Hall
21-22 Clemson / 2 B1G @,H / @ Seton Hall
22-23 @ Miami / 2 B1G H?,@? / Seton Hall / Wake Forest

19-20 Lafayette/Caldwell, 21-22 Maine/CCSU, 22-23 Bucknell/Coppin St.

There is a formula, excluding the 4 OOC schedule in 20-21.
11 OOC in 19-20, 10 in 21-22, and 11 in 22-23.

• Love
I am positive and optimistic, but I also don't immediately put unrealistic expectations on a team in June expecting they will have 1 loss by January. It's a sport. The other team tries to win too... Saying 10-1 is the "floor" reads to me like anything else is a complete and utter disappointment.
It depends how he’s thinking about the floor. If he meant that’s the worst outcome that could be considered a successful OOC showing that’s a reasonable take. We’ll arguably be favorites in every game except Miami. 2-2 in those 4 games wouldn’t be awful, but I wouldn’t sign on the dotted line for that outcome either with 2 of the games being home and the third the neutral Temple game.

Schedule is okay. Only 2 games away from the RAC though . Not sure how, if at all , that factors in to tournament selection perspectives if we don’t win either of those games.

my guess is it doesn’t matter if we pick up a few road wins in conference play. As all road / neutral games get lumped into one criterion?

for a writer you really struggle with reading comprehension

Reactions: RutgersNo1
I’m elated that our home games remain at the RAC. I cringe when the construction needs to occur and we’re playing in Newark or Trenton or wherever.

I’m elated that our home games remain at the RAC. I cringe when the construction needs to occur and we’re playing in Newark or Trenton or wherever.
Well, there was never a doubt about this coming season, as I don't think they've even decided on the "plan" for RAC renovation yet.

The real issue is what happens NEXT season (2023-24)? Hopefully they will have "plans" by early 2023, and if they decide to do all of the renovations in the off season, they would have to start immediately upon the conclusion of the 2022-23 season in early March 2023.

Very weak

Aside from SHU, no games have any juice.
would say
Temple, Miami & Wake are good games, though playing Temple at the Mohegan Sun Arena takes a little away from playing them.
Don't know the reasoning for that neutral site but better than at their place (I guess)
Rest of OCC not appealing

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
for a writer you really struggle with reading comprehension

I don't, but clearly you and I have different meanings for "the floor." I think we should win the other 7 too, but it is possible we go 1-3 in those big 4 games.

Reactions: Scangg
We overcame losses to Lafayette and UMass last season and now people are saying we HAVE to go 3-1 against Seton Hall, Wake Forest, and Temple? lol

I don't, but clearly you and I have different meanings for "the floor." I think we should win the other 7 too, but it is possible we go 1-3 in those big 4 games.
Struggles continue.

anything less than 9-2 gives us an uphill climb at the tourney. Not saying it’s not doable but if we want to have a good shot to make the tourney our OOC needs to be 9-2 or better.

we can obviously make it with an 8-3 record but would need another strong big ten season

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Struggles continue.

anything less than 9-2 gives us an uphill climb at the tourney. Not saying it’s not doable but if we want to have a good shot to make the tourney our OOC needs to be 9-2 or better.

we can obviously make it with an 8-3 record but would need another strong big ten season
See we disagree on what floor means, then.

We overcame losses to Lafayette and UMass last season and now people are saying we HAVE to go 3-1 against Seton Hall, Wake Forest, and Temple? lol
Overcame? You mean sweating on Selection Sunday and playing in Dayton?

Pretty funny timing from RU MBB insta account:

Obviously this includes our conference schedule which gives us a massive bump each year

Remember, we will also play two BIG games in December before January 1 so we should play 13 games before January 1 not just the 11 OOC games.

The minimum nonconference GOAL should be 9-2. The floor is likely 6-5. Can't imagine us being below that, and I'd be more surprised by 6-5 than by 10-1.

ADVERTISEMENT